Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #1
Curt Cummings

Default Banjo wheel for a 32 Ford.

Hi gang,

I am rebuilding a 32 pickup and installing a 59ab flathead but leaving everything else stock, including the 18" wheels, but am considering installing a 36 style banjo steering wheel. My question is will it bolt right on and what about the horn rod. Any suggestions are appreciated?

Thanks, Curt
Curt Cummings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Banjo wheel for a 32 Ford.

Any Ford banjo wheel will bolt right on. The horn rod is another issue. You would have to find one that is the correct length or modify one to be the length of the '32. Keep in mind that the '36 uses one style horn button, the '37 wheel uses another and the '38-39 banjo can use the 38-39 horn rod.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
Curt Cummings

Thanks for the information. I'm still collecting parts so have some time and room to make changes in the plan. I like the looks of the 36 banjo so it was just a thought.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Randy

As far as the taper, keyway and threads, they will bolt on, but there are differences in the flared out bell of the steering column tube. I tried to put a '37 banjo on a stock '33 column and the bell does not mate up to the base of the wheel.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
Curt Cummings

I have three steering column tubes. One is a stock 32 which is straight, no flare. One has a slight flare and one has an aluminum collar that is several times the diameter of the column. That one I have no idea what it came off of. I have a column brop for the 32 pickup I am rebuilding and a column drop for a later 30's Ford. Not sure what year but I suspect 35 or 37. I'm just trying to get things put together so I can drive the old rig. :-) I am a Model "A" guy just emerging into the reality of 32 Fords. When I was a kid I passed up several 32's for the 31 coupe I still have today after 51 years. If I had only known. ! :-)
Old 09-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Krylon32

When I had Neal build me a Hudson box he asked me what wheel I would be using because some of the wheels are clocked different and I believe he said that the banjo on a stock 32 column would be clocked with the bottom at the top?????
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
TJ

Curt, if you don't care about using the stock light switch at the bottom then you can do the following; Use a '39 banjo wheel(you can buy the repo) and use a '30-31 model A hubcap to cover the center of the wheel. I did this years ago on a 32.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
When I had Neal build me a Hudson box he asked me what wheel I would be using because some of the wheels are clocked different and I believe he said that the banjo on a stock 32 column would be clocked with the bottom at the top?????
I forgot about this, but you're correct. A banjo on a stock '32 shaft will be upside down compared to how it was in the car it came in, like the '37 banjo on a '32 column in the attached picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (71.1 KB, 56 views)
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Curt Cummings

Wow, That's god information. I would have never thought of a mode "A" hub cap. As for the steering wheel being up side down, I have a machinist friend who can cur a new key way. A friend came over today and took my 32 coulomb away to try to get the broken key out and the coulomb lock unlocked.

I like the looks of the earlier banjo better.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
Ken Arms

Interesting thread, I would love to put a banjo on my 34, has anyone done that? Is the 32 column the same as 34 as far as the bell end? Would it be up side down as well? If im stealing this thread Curt tell me to !@#up!

Last edited by Ken Arms; 09-23-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote