Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2018, 03:47 PM   #21
flatford39

Default Re: Four post drive-on lift

I have low ceilings in my garage. 8'0 max. Is there a four poster that can be permanently erected outdoors that could take four seasons??? It can get really cold and snowy where I live.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford39 View Post
I have low ceilings in my garage. 8'0 max. Is there a four poster that can be permanently erected outdoors that could take four seasons??? It can get really cold and snowy where I live.
Could you go to the added expense of adding a metal roof over it? Then it should last just fine.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:29 AM   #23
Lona

During my research before buying a four post lift, most manufacturers stated they are not for outside installation and will void the warranty. But, I've seen some installed outside next to garages but on concrete pads and with some overhead protection against the elements. Wouldn't expect you'd get much use out of it in the winter in your area, though.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #24
flatford39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Could you go to the added expense of adding a metal roof over it? Then it should last just fine.

That is not a bad idea. Just got to figure out where I could put it so it would be easily accessible and not an eyesore. Anybody have any pictures of theirs that they would like to share.

Thanks.
flatford39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #25
holdover

I have two Bendpacs a HD 9 (9000 lbs) and a HD12. I have scissor trusses in my garage and have plenty of clrnc. If you have a standard 8' ceiling you might have problems. The HD 9 platform is about 4" high, then add the height of the vehicle , that will give you an idea of how high you can lift it. Remember that you have to go above the safety locks, (about 4") apart then lower down to the locks to be safe. The platform on the HD 12 is about 6" high. I have no problem working on wheels etc with the 4 post. A bridge jack would be a nice addition, but there is plenty of room on the platform for jacks and jack stands.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #26
antiquepa

Ive had a 2 post lift for years before i got my model A. You can use this lift if you can position the A in the right place. This lift is great for modern cars, but if your going to use it for model A..then i would get the 4 post lift. The 2 post lift [you have to center the car] i beleive its 17 inches from post on each side or the arms won't reach the frame. Also arms must be positions on frame and there are lots of things in the way, muffler ect. Hope this helps!!
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote