Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default 190A & 400A Similarities

I just saw the presentation 400--A, 190--A and 180--A Joint Meeting
Differences and Similarities given at a joint meeting of these body style clubs. I am restoring a 190A and over the past 20 years I have done considerable research of the Victoria Coupe, so I find the following comments clarify and augment the presentation you can find at
http://www.a400group.com/resources/S...%20Seminar.pdf

Of the approximately 400 Victoria Coupes in the International Victoria Association's records, no Briggs made 190A has been substantiated. All of the surviving production 190As are Murry built.

The 400A and 190A share several body parts including the doors, the floor pans, and the slide type seat adjust mechanisms. The 180A and 190A share the adjustment legs at the back of the front seats, and these legs are not the same as those on the Tudor's seats.

The front seats in the 180A, 190A and 400A are similar, varying in width and the type of upholstery covering.

The dome light in the 190A was the same as in the slant windshield sedans.

The 190A I believe was the first Model A to have doors inset to the body so they are flush with the body side panels. The 400A has the same feature.

Not all 190As had sun visors. Initially there were two, then one for the driver, then none and back to one according to information in factory letters to the branches and dealers.

The factory letters also indicate that pin stripping on the gas tank adjacent to the instrument panel may have been discontinued for a period in 1931.

My research of 190As with original engines aboard suggest that Victoria production may have started as early as May 1930 to buildup an inventory in support of sales starting in the fall of 1930.

Also, 190A cars with the painted steel top superseded the 190A with the artificial leather top. There was no choice between the two top finishes unless a dealer coincidentally had both styles for sale.

Factory letters also indicate that rear side window curtains went away in early 1931.

The rear body apron on the 190A is unique, and all were painted black.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: 190A & 400A Similarities

Nice report!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
Bill Cilker

Bob
Your is correct and will help people understand the differences and similarities between body styles. The only thing that I would add is the word inside " Not all 190As had inside sun visors. They were also the first slant window body, so they did not have an outside sun visor.
Keep up the good work
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sorry to be picky but is it an 400A or A400? The group that promotes the understanding of the body style seem to use both freely according to the article.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Bick in New Zealand

Great information Bob, I remember fondly when I first joined the Victoria Association filling out the survey form and also receiving the chart generated from members cars with all the rellevant information. Has this been upgraded recently?

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
donh

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I have an early 31 Vicky and it also is a Murray Body. I bought it thru the estate of a friend in 1981. It was all apart. So for the next ten years between getting married, remodeling a house and raising a family it was on the road. It was one of those projects, when you have the time you don't have any money and when you get the money you don't have any time.
What does the Victoria association do for you?
Don
donh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Vern

The Victoria Association is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the Model A Ford Victoria. This is a body style group,of both The Model A Ford Club of America and the Model A Restorers Club. The Association was founded in 1986 by Charlie Viosca, when he was unable to find accurate restoration information.

We don't have regular meetings since the membership is scattered all around the US, as well as in Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Argentina, England, Denmark and Sweden. We usually try to get together at the national Model A Ford meets.

The Association normally sends out four newsletters per year. In the newsletter, you can advertise for free any Victoria items for sale and items wanted. The Association can tell you where to purchase items made expressly for the Victoria. The newsletters are the best and most comprehensive source of information on this body style.

You can find more information at www.VictoriaAssociation.com

Vern Schwebke, President
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Bob Bidonde

Hi Bick,
No, the survey information has not been upgraded. It was overwhelming to keep up with 190As changing owners.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
Bob Bidonde

Hi Bill,
Thanks for clarifying my remarks.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
Bick in New Zealand

"It was overwhelming to keep up with 190As changing owners. "
I can understand that.

Model A's don't leak oil they just mark their territory.
Bick in New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:21 AM   #11
Spider

Great to see my Victoria in the first slide of your power point. Of note the reflectors visible on the rear bumpers were only attached with double sided tape to get it registered and have now been removed. Richard
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote