Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2021, 03:48 PM   #1
drolston

Default Ignition Whack-A-Mole

Well, you got me through the trial and error of trouble shooting a rough running engine. It started with finding bad connections within spiral wound spark plug wires and ended with a Tubman replacement for Mac's brand new condenser that would show a decent spark when cranking but miss and die after starting.

So now I have a perfect running original points type ignition system, with solid copper core ignition wires.

But when the engine is running the SecretAudio radio is completely jammed by interference from the non-suppressor type ignition wires.

What type of capacitors to use for suppression, and where do they go?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Ignition Whack-A-Mole

You'll not be able to stop the "noise pollution" unless you change out the plug wires. You can't run copper-core wires and stereo equipment - you'll fight the noise issues forever.

On many magneto systems (think airplanes), they would cover the whole head of the magneto with a noise shield, then have braided-shielding wire covers all the way from the mag noise filter cap, to screw in locations where the plugs were. It took all of this hardware to suppress the noise coming off the mag and solid copper wires.

There are some great spiral-wound plug wires - we've used them for years on our racecars. Most of ours are from MSD . . .
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
drolston

Just fought a losing battle with spiral wound plug wires. The connectors inside the rubber caps broke.

There are resistors that can be plugged into the coil to distributor wire, and others that put a resistor at each plug. Anybody have any luck with those?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
tubman

You need louder mufflers.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:27 PM   #5
koates

You can buy a single RESISTOR and cut the coil to dist high tension wire in the middle and just screw the resistor into the cut cable ends. These do work believe me but you would have to fit one to see how well it works. Otherwise after that fit a resistor on to each spark plug is the next step if required. Other options are capacators on the generator and coil primary feed , but I find those are usually not required. Just try that before you get any more involved. I have fitted dozens of these over the years with good results. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #6
Will D

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
Just fought a losing battle with spiral wound plug wires. The connectors inside the rubber caps broke.

There are resistors that can be plugged into the coil to distributor wire, and others that put a resistor at each plug. Anybody have any luck with those?
Few different suggestions here

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-wires.239640/
Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 PM   #7
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
You can buy a single RESISTOR and cut the coil to dist high tension wire in the middle and just screw the resistor into the cut cable ends. These do work believe me but you would have to fit one to see how well it works. Otherwise after that fit a resistor on to each spark plug is the next step if required. Other options are capacators on the generator and coil primary feed , but I find those are usually not required. Just try that before you get any more involved. I have fitted dozens of these over the years with good results. Regards, Kevin.
When I first got my '51 Coupe in '87, it had a device such as this in the center distributor post to coil wire (it even had a Ford part number on it). The car ran fine for about 5 years, and then I started having problems. I replaced it with a chunk of Packard 440 and the problem went away.

I still have it if you want it.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
When I first got my '51 Coupe in '87, it had a device such as this in the center distributor post to coil wire (it even had a Ford part number on it). The car ran fine for about 5 years, and then I started having problems. I replaced it with a chunk of Packard 440 and the problem went away.

I still have it if you want it.
Just because you had a problem with one does not mean they are no good. Anything that man has ever manufactured is prone to fail sooner or later, even your trash can condensers. Regards, Kevin.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:37 PM   #9
Tinker

Well is it coming from RF interference from the wires externally? or through the power wires to the radio now. If it's RF through the air from the spark wires you could add a barrier around the radio. Now if it's interference though power you might need a inline conditioner to the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbv9PUC0xPk

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:58 PM   #10
slowforty

Just rev the engine when sitting next to a modern Cop Car. Interesting results.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #11
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Just because you had a problem with one does not mean they are no good. Anything that man has ever manufactured is prone to fail sooner or later, even your trash can condensers. Regards, Kevin.
Ouch! I have never received one complaint. Can you elaborate on your comment?

"Regards"?
Old 04-01-2021, 12:33 AM   #12
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Ouch! I have never received one complaint. Can you elaborate on your comment?

"Regards"?
I am not complaining about your condensers because I have never used one, But they look good for sure. One possible issue though is that their capacity at approx .22 mfd is a bit low for original Ford V8 coils. and I only use original Ford coils. You have never let on who supplies your condensers so I cant comment on their quality. But as I stated that all things made by man pack up sooner or later, you know Murphys law.