Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2019, 07:09 PM   #21
M2M

Default Re: Hi-Lo with internal gears - the dream AA accessory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
I guess you decide what is a joke,or BS..thanks for clearing that up. Gearing allows you to utilize power is an manner that better suits the task,but it doesn't create the power to perform the task.

Since you introduced bizarre,allow me to respond,don't you think its a bit bizarre to effect a gear reduction only to turn back and increase it? why not utilize a gear increase and be done?with overdrive and direct you don't have to change the rear ratio and tire size along with machining and installing the dual high....oopps did I just say 'high'..
Your comments above in orange I totally agree with. It is bizarre BUT nevertheless it can work and people actually do this on Model Ts. I have been a passenger in a Model T OHV speedster using 3:1 gearing (standard gearing on T is 3.63) fitted with a Ruxstell underdrive 2-speed rear end that lowered gearing by 50% to 4.5:1. The owner normally drives around town in underdrive and only shifts to direct at 35-40mph.

Why would anyone fit an AA underdrive to an A that's using high speed rear, rather than just fitting a Mitchell? Maybe because of money? (assuming they had to rebuild their rear end regardless). As someone wrote above, these AA underdrives cost under $100; what's the cost of a Mitchell? Again, I'm not suggesting anyone do this, all I'm saying is IF these can be fitted easily they could be an option for some people. Depending on how the car is setup, and how/where the car is used it could work well.

The best reason NOT to do this could be noise rather than how well it works...I've been told these underdrives are very loud.

Last edited by M2M; 10-03-2019 at 08:40 PM.
M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:13 AM   #22
jkflathead

This is an interesting thread. I learned a lot. I picked this up the other day and didn't know what it was.

Last edited by jkflathead; 02-23-2024 at 04:49 PM.
jkflathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #23
jkflathead

This is an interesting thread. I learned a lot. I picked this up the other day and didn't know what it was.
jkflathead is offline   Reply With Quote