Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #1
Kilohertz

Default Junkyard electric fan recommendations '49 F-47

Happy new year all!

I am continuing the '49 Flathead build with GM TBI system and have decided I want to use an electric fan only, removing the constant load on the engine and only coming on when needed. I already have the electric side figured out, I have a 78A alternator and will probably end up using a PWM controller, or at least a thermo switch driving a relay.

My question is, what vehicles have you used the electric fans from for your cooling needs? I don't want to go out and buy some new fan made in China, I want something I can pickup locally from the wreckers. I have a brand new Champion 3 core aluminum rad to install, will run 180* t-stats and the truck will only be driven spring thru fall, no winters. I want a puller fan that will mount on the engine side of the rad.

The rad dimensions are pictured below.

Look forward to some suggestions.

Cheers

Old 01-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #2
Als48

Default Re: Junkyard electric fan recommendations '49 F-47

I used a fan from a Jeep Liberty '04 3.7 engine in my '48 Super Deluxe. It measures about 21" x 21" and is a front mounted pusher fan. 12 v of course.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #3
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post
I used a fan from a Jeep Liberty '04 3.7 engine in my '48 Super Deluxe. It measures about 21" x 21" and is a front mounted pusher fan. 12 v of course.

Al Hook
Thanks Al. I have been scouring the web and catalog pages and it seems the most popular one for swap on any car is the Lincoln MKVIII or '90's Taurus, Cougar, Sable. They are a little bit bigger but are pullers. The one you mentioned looks like it would be exactly the right size though.

Cheers
Old 01-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #4
Gene1949

ahh, a fellow "repurposer"..

1997 Taurus SVO fan and shroud.
2 speed and almost as much CFM as the Lincoln MK VIII
1992 Volvo 940 2 speed fan controller module. Relays and circuit breakers all in 1 tidy little package Volvo fan conroller.jpg I believe Volvo used that controller into the mid 2000s

2 temp switches in lower tank (185 on/low speed 195 on/high speed). I chose mounting the temp switches in the lower tank because no point in running the fans if the radiator is rejecting the heat load. Most of the time even 95 degree days in town the high speed cycles off and on.

The Taurus SVO fan and shroud look like they were designed for the 49-51. Pretty hard to tell if it wasn't factory.
Your radiator dimensions look roughly the same as a car.
Good luck, I'll never go back to a mechanical fan
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #5
Gene1949

Now for the bad news.
That fan draws about 40 amps on high. I had a GM alternator (42 amp) which left me no overhead. So while I was pulling the fan I pulled the Ford alternator as well..
Old 01-04-2022, 12:00 AM   #6
Kilohertz

Thanks Gene,

I too saw that Volvo controller in my search. I have a 10SI alternator, I think 63 A, planning on putting in a 78A, should be enough. I was planning on putting the temp sensors in the ports behind the water pumps, or even the port on the passenger water pump. I have a brand new Aluminum rad so don't want to pierce the lower tank if I can avoid it.

Appreciate the info. Yes, re purposing rules with me, and most of the times the factory stuff is better built than aftermarket.

Cheers
Old 01-04-2022, 09:59 AM   #7
Gene1949

Kilohertz;2091534]Thanks Gene,

I too saw that Volvo controller in my search. I have a 10SI alternator, I think 63 A, planning on putting in a 78A, should be enough. I was planning on putting the temp sensors in the ports behind the water pumps, or even the port on the passenger water pump. I have a brand new Aluminum rad so don't want to pierce the lower tank if I can avoid it.

Appreciate the info. Yes, re purposing rules with me, and most of the times the factory stuff is better built than aftermarket.
Great minds think alike

I would imagine mounting the sensors around the "cold" side of the pumps would be almost as effective as the lower tank.
I had considered upgrading to the bigger output GM (I too had the 10SI) but got to adding up my loading (Air conditioning, 800 watt stereo, electric fuel pump and upgrade lighting) it just didn't pencil out. Didn't take much effort to make the GM bracket fit the Ford alt.

While I was there I took the fuse/relay assembly and wired the entire car like the Taurus. The ignition switch does "pilot duty" essentially supplying power to the main relay that energizes the control side of the accessory relays.. I wanted the dash to be essentially dead when the ignition switch was shut down.
Old 01-04-2022, 02:49 PM   #8
Ross F-1

I have heard that the 40 amp draw on the Taurus fans is only the starting current. Quickly drops off. Wiring and charging system do need to handle that in-rush tho.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Als48 View Post

Al Hook
Hi Al,

Does this look like your fan? There are about 4 or 5 listed for the Liberty, I'm not sure if this is a push or pull fan, I continue checking. It's 2 speed which is great.

cheers

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-49991-620-475.aspx

ps further checking shows the one I linked is a puller, 2 speed.

Last edited by Kilohertz; 01-04-2022 at 07:26 PM.
Kilohertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 08:04 PM   #10
Kilohertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene1949 View Post
ahh, a fellow "repurposer"..

1997 Taurus SVO fan and shroud.
2 speed and almost as much CFM as the Lincoln MK VIII
1992 Volvo 940 2 speed fan controller module. Relays and circuit breakers all in 1 tidy little package Attachment 481469 I believe Volvo used that controller into the mid 2000s

2 temp switches in lower tank (185 on/low speed 195 on/high speed). I chose mounting the temp switches in the lower tank because no point in running the fans if the radiator is rejecting the heat load. Most of the time even 95 degree days in town the high speed cycles off and on.

The Taurus SVO fan and shroud look like they were designed for the 49-51. Pretty hard to tell if it wasn't factory.
Your radiator dimensions look roughly the same as a car.
Good luck, I'll never go back to a mechanical fan
Hi Gene,

Which temp sensors did you use, the Volvo or Taurus, or something else?

Thanks
Old 01-05-2022, 11:38 AM   #11
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilohertz View Post
Hi Gene,

Which temp sensors did you use, the Volvo or Taurus, or something else?

Thanks
Low speed;
Be Cool Radiators 185° Temperature Sender
P/#--- 134-75029

High speed;
sloppy record keeping

would have loved to "repurpose" but everything factory was too high cut in temperature
Old 01-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #12
Als48

Kilo, I think the one i'm using is a single speed but looks very similar to the one shown.
I'm not sure if it was a pusher or puller, but I'm using it as a pusher and running it full time with no sensor. Just used a 40 A relay.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:25 PM   #13
Ken Arms

Or you could contact Cooling Components, they make fans that fit flatheads with the correct amount of cfm and come with harness/relay. They are USA made. There motors come from Canada. Quiet and reliable. A bit pricey but I think worth it. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote