Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
rheltzel

Default Bubbles in Fuel Filter

My '35 has an inline fuel filter consisting of a glass tube with chrome ends and a cartridge element. There are no detectable fuel leaks anywhere along the fuel line from the tank to the pump, yet when the car is running, there are bubbles visible inside the filter, as if it's sucking air from somewhere. The prior owner also installed an inline electric pump as an assist to the mechanical pump. When the electric pump is on, the bubbles disappear. Anyone have any ideas where the bubbles are coming from? Is the mechanical pump bad? The electrical pump?
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Bubbles in Fuel Filter

The bubbles are from the filter connections itself. The connector may be as provided with the filter, those being inferior spring clamps, not sufficient to close off the connection properly. Chuck them out and get worm drive hose clamps to end the bubble issue.

The reason yo get bubbles when only the mechanical pump is running is because the line is sucking. The electric pump behind the filter will deliver pressure, theby eliminating the sucking, but may show a wet connection from the pressure in the line.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
rheltzel

Thanks, Alan. I think you're spot on. I put on a new fuel filter, using the old clamps, and when the electric pump was on, it leaked like a sieve. No leak with only the mechanical pump sucking. It was too late to do anything about it this afternoon, but tomorrow, I'll get new clamps and try again.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 AM   #4
Talkwrench

Check the glass filter too as the guts is adjustable.. pull it apart and you'll see what I mean, you have to wind the inner shaft of it just so.. so it all screws up nice.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
G.M.

You didn't say where the filter is located? If after the flex hose the hose could have a small hole in it. These holes don't leak fuel but do suck air. If the gas is low in the tank air can be drawn down through the gas when the pick up tube has dirt over the end. On pumps with glass filters attached the bail nut and cup on the bottom gets so hot vapor bubbles can be seen coming up from the bottom in hot weather. Some gaskets don't seal the glass top and that's where most bubbles come from. G.M.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
rheltzel

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks, Talkwrench and G.M. I will report the results of my filter replacement once I get the new clamps and have eliminated the leaks noted above.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
rheltzel

Replaced fuel filter and clamps. No bubbles. Your diagnosis was spot on. Thanks, guys.