Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #1
Teacher John

Default 1979 F350 4x4

This may be too new a truck to discuss. I have a '79 F350 4x4 that originally had a 400M and C6. I removed the 400M and replaced it with a 460 bored 60 over with 68 460 heads, 270 4x4 Comp cam. I have a 4 core aluminum radiator with the biggest electrical fans available, oil cooler, and trans cooler. When the 400M was installed, it ran about 180, but now during the summer, it'll creep up to 225. Any ideas to keep this ol' girl running cooler?
Teacher John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
KULTULZ

Default Re: 1979 F350 4x4

Quote:
...with the biggest electrical fans available, oil cooler, and trans cooler
Two fans I assume? One for AC? Are they pull or push style? If pull, full shrouding? Where are the oil coolers mounted?

Guess I should also ask if it overheats @ idle, slow traffic and/or highway.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:59 PM   #3
Teacher John

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Two fans I assume? One for AC? Are they pull or push style? If pull, full shrouding? Where are the oil coolers mounted?

Guess I should also ask if it overheats @ idle, slow traffic and/or highway.
Two big shrouded fans that pull air through. The other coolers are mounted in front of the radiator. I removed all of the AC BS.
It will overheat if it idles once it is driven, but will begin to overheat rollin' down the road at 65.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
rotorwrench

You might want to do a pressure test or maybe even an exhaust gas test just in case there is a leak somewhere. I know that 460s can be bored that far and generally with no problems but if there is a leak or even a cracked head, there will be constant problems.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:56 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Post Re: 1979 F350 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher John View Post

Two big shrouded fans that pull air through. The other coolers are mounted in front of the radiator. I removed all of the AC BS.

It will overheat if it idles once it is driven, but will begin to overheat rollin' down the road at 65.
Can you post a photo(s) of the fan install? Do the oil cooler heat ex-changer's block a large amount of air-flow? If you put a tissue on the front of the radiator, will air-flow keep it captured?

It sounds like poor air-flow or a weak WP. Thermostat good and of quality? Possible collapsing lower hose? All air out of the system? Coolant recovery system?

Like mentioned, perform a pressure test. Does it lose coolant?

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM   #6
turnpikecrusier

Check your vacuum advance on the distributor. I had similar problem with my 460, advance wasn't working. I installed new one problem solved.
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #7
Teacher John

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpikecrusier View Post
Check your vacuum advance on the distributor. I had similar problem with my 460, advance wasn't working. I installed new one problem solved.
I'll check the vacuum advance. I may have disconnected it. My brother said it was NOT necessary and robbed me of performance. Hmmmmm
Old 01-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Teacher John

Quote:
Can you post a photo(s) of the fan install? Do the oil cooler heat ex-changer's block a large amount of air-flow? If you put a tissue on the front of the radiator, will air-flow keep it captured?

It sounds like poor air-flow or a weak WP. Thermostat good and of quality? Possible collapsing lower hose? All air out of the system? Coolant recovery system?

Like mentioned, perform a pressure test. Does it lose coolant?
I'll post a pic soon. It draws a ton of air through the radiator. The shroud completely covers rear of radiator up to fans. Thermostat is good and the lower hose is not collapsing. I shoved a thick piece of PVC in there to prevent that. I could not find a lower hose that would fit that had a spring. Thinking back, I had to use aftermarket pulleys in places. One was smaller than the original.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Teacher John

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
You might want to do a pressure test or maybe even an exhaust gas test just in case there is a leak somewhere. I know that 460s can be bored that far and generally with no problems but if there is a leak or even a cracked head, there will be constant problems.
We tested the heads and block. There were no leaks. It is not using coolant and does not smoke as if water was entering the system.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:11 AM   #10
Teacher John

Crankshaft pulley is smaller than the original. Installed a nice high-flow waterpump.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: 1979 F350 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpikecrusier View Post

Quote:

I'll check the vacuum advance. I may have disconnected it. My brother said it was NOT necessary and robbed me of performance. Hmmmmm

The man makes a good point and yes it is needed unless the DIST has been re-curved to use centrifugal advance only.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
Teacher John

Quote:
The man makes a good point and yes it is needed unless the DIST has been re-curved to use centrifugal advance only.
It's an MSD distributor. I have no idea if it's been re-curved.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:01 PM   #13
scicala

Quote:

A vacuum advance does not rob you of any power. When I worked in the 80's at Roush, we were dyno'ing some 460 Ford engines and more than one person noticed the exhaust temps were higher than other engines. The vacuum advance will allow more spark advance when cruising (light to moderate loads) which in turn lowers exhaust temps considerably.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #14
Teacher John

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
A vacuum advance does not rob you of any power. When I worked in the 80's at Roush, we were dyno'ing some 460 Ford engines and more than one person noticed the exhaust temps were higher than other engines. The vacuum advance will allow more spark advance when cruising (light to moderate loads) which in turn lowers exhaust temps considerably.

Sal
Well, it turns out the vacuum advance is connected. What should the timing be set at in your opinion?
Old 01-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #15
robib

If the crankshaft pulley is smaller than the original, as you stated, and the water pump pulley is stock (to a 460), then the pump is turning slower than it should. Find out what the diameters should be and replace that which is not correct. Start there.

Electric fans are fine as long as they are really pulling the CFM they claim and match what is needed by your application. Make sure the power wires are big enough to provide the proper power. Also, solid shrouds (obviously not where the fans are) can actually inhibit the flow of air as you are driving. Some shrouds have holes cut in them with rubber flaps that open as you drive. 460 engines were available stock in 79 Ford pickups. They used water pump driven fans and had no problems.
robib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #16
scicala

Quote:
Well, it turns out the vacuum advance is connected. What should the timing be set at in your opinion?

On a stock 460, the base ignition timing is from 6 to 10 degrees depending on the year. This at about 600 RPM idle with the vacuum advance disconnected.
To check total centrifugal advance timing, leave the vacuum advance disconnected and with the trans in park or neutral open the throttle and see at what RPM the advance stops increasing. Ideal would be from 30 to 35 degrees total by 2500 to 3000 RPM. To change the speed you reach total advance, you would need to change the advance springs in the distributor.
I'm sure your probably good to go with the distributor you have.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #17
finn1

Ditch the electric fans and find a mechanical fan from a big block Ford truck engine.

Electric fans are fine for an econobox, but the small electric motors they employ aren’t adequate to deliver the power required tp push enough air to cool a big block engine.

Take a look at the fans in a newer F350 and compare them to what you have now.
finn1 is offline   Reply With Quote