Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-14-2018, 06:16 PM   #101
michael a

Default Re: Chasing the knock.

See how it runs in the daytime with lights off kind of sounds like you have a short somewhere in the light system

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:10 PM   #102
Garagekulture13

I just saw this. They all are worn but #4 pin on the distributor body is badly worn.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Garagekulture13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:13 PM   #103
michael a

I have been watching this thread from the start I must say I have learned a lot from it but I cannot believe how many multiple problems that you have had with this new car for as nice as this car is I cannot believe the previous owner did any kind of maintenance on it to keep it reliable. But hang in there you're getting it and by the way how did your motor sound when you got it out and driving it

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:00 PM   #104
Bulligen

This could cause some of the ignition problem, I think a new brass wired distributor would be best to pick up. Sounds like your lighting issues are robbing power from the ignition as well. The fact that it came up when you were driving with your headlights on is a clue towards the root of the problem. That amp gauge it telling you that there is a major draw or short somewhere. Keep being aggressive with it, you will figure it out.
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 12:00 AM   #105
PC/SR

Agree with Michael a. Am surprised this thread has moved from a knock to other things, the latest being ignition. Kinda curious how far and into what issues it goes. Not a problem with me, just sort of unusual.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #106
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garagekulture13 View Post
I just saw this. They all are worn but #4 pin on the distributor body is badly worn.

Les Andrew's book recommends .025" gap rotor to distributor body contact. Section 2 page 18..

A discussion here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5980

Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #107
WHN

These are all basic maintenance with use issues.

This looks to be a nice car that was most likely loved by the previous owner. The guy is 80 years old. He probably could no longer care for car. Give him a brake. That’s why it was sold.

Body looks good, engine now sounds good, interior is good. Cars 90 years old. Every used car today will need some service work.

Every Model A that I have owned needed basic maintenance work. I have replaced the timing gear and done a complete tune up on everyone we have owned. Somethings are basic, need to be checked, on these cars.

Sludge in oil pan, timing gear, wiring, springs, brakes, front end, steering box, shocks, radiator, clutch, carburetor, gas tank, anyone who wants a good running car knows the list.

Nice paint, good interior, side mounts and trunks, they could be lipstick on a pig if the other things aren’t right.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #108
Railcarmover
BANNED

Checking bearing clearance is part of routine maintenance and should be done when you have the pan off a 'new to you' used engine. inspect the cylinder walls to determine if you need to pull the head and slide out the pistons for inspection,you should check the valves at that time.The reason you do this is to save money,the earlier you catch the wear the less it can cost..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:26 AM   #109
gweilbaker

Does the distributor shaft wobble?
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #110
Garagekulture13

Distributor did not have any wobble. Headlight was the mounting nut. A quarter turn and it lit right up. I put a new distributor body on and drove the car into work today. Roughly 10 miles. Pulled #4 plug (brand new) in the parking lot and this is what it looks like. I plan to make an adapter to run a compression test at work tonight. I will update on my findings.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #111
Garagekulture13

As many already guessed the motor is wore out. I believe the old man took me. Cylinders 1,2, and 4 are reading 50#s. Cylinder 3 is reading 25#s. The following pictures are of a valve in 3 cylinder. Also the plug after about 20 miles and then an additional 20 miles. I guess it's time to look for an engine builder. I hope to find one close I can drive too.