Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
Automotive Stud

Default Ignition problem, could use some insight.

What I've got is a '47 59ab motor with the stock distributor. I'm running the one piece crab cap, a big old square Mallory coil, and I'm running on 12v neg ground. The car has been on the road like this for about 7-8 years.

Yesterday I had it die on me on the highway. I have two problems that I don't know if they are related. It just shut off at 70 mph. When I costed over I saw it threw the fan belt off, but not the water pump/alternator belt, and I don't think it caused any other damage. It didn't get hot because I was on the highway. After getting it home I tried a test light on the coil, I don't show any juice on either of the terminals. I have a big mallory ballast resistor on the firewall, one wire goes to the stock ignition switch, the other obviously goes to the + coil terminal. With the key on I have power going into the ballast but the test light isn't even dim on the other side of the ballast. I thought I had it nailed down, but I switched in another new ballast from my dad's model a with the same setup and I still just get a ballast that is warm to touch and only shows power on one terminal. I'm at a loss now and welcome suggestions, thanks for reading.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Ignition problem, could use some insight.

Run a fresh hot wire to the ballast from the battery

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
JWL
Member Emeritus

Are you saying there is no spark at the plugs? Is the test light intended for 12V and not 115? Do you realize the role the points play in the circuit? Disconnect the wire from ballast to coil and see what the test light does. It could be time for a new coil if the old Mallory is shorted.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
Are you saying there is no spark at the plugs? Is the test light intended for 12V and not 115? Do you realize the role the points play in the circuit? Disconnect the wire from ballast to coil and see what the test light does. It could be time for a new coil if the old Mallory is shorted.
Yes I have a good automotive test light, and no spark at all. There isn't power getting to the points. I tried disconnecting the wires from the coil and checked, I still have no power on that side of the ballast that goes to the coil or on the wire that goes from the ballast to the coil. I was sure it was a bad ballast until I replaced it with another and have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
Run a fresh hot wire to the ballast from the battery
I'll try that next but it has power going into the ballast from the key so I'm not sure if that will do anything.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
4dFord/SC

Run the jumper straight from the battery to the coil, and see if it starts. If it does, you'll know the problem is somewhere between the battery and the coil (e.g., ignition swith, resistor, or the wiring). If it doesn't, it's probably the coil, points, or a problem in the distributor itself.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Gary Duff

Auto Stud
Spring broke on one set of points causing a dead short. Happens quite often.
Gary
Gary Duff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Yes I have a good automotive test light, and no spark at all. There isn't power getting to the points. I tried disconnecting the wires from the coil and checked, I still have no power on that side of the ballast that goes to the coil or on the wire that goes from the ballast to the coil. I was sure it was a bad ballast until I replaced it with another and have the same problem.

I'll try that next but it has power going into the ballast from the key so I'm not sure if that will do anything.

there should not be power to the points, they are ground put your lead to ground to test the points

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Duff View Post
Auto Stud
Spring broke on one set of points causing a dead short. Happens quite often.
Gary
I had the distributor out and spun it by hand, both points are opening and closing properly. Swapped in another distributor just in case, same thing.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Terry,OH

You can not use a test light on the coil, or on the coil side of the resistor. Use a multimeter. The resistor will not let enough current to pass to light the test light. With the distributor points open you will see voltage to ground on the wire of the coil going to ground (in your case - ) With the distributor points closed you will see zero volts there. Check with a digital multimeter what is the primary resistance, in ohms, of the coil. What is the resistance of the "Big Mallory Resistor" in ohms.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #10
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
there should not be power to the points, they are ground put your lead to ground to test the points
I should still show power on the coil terminals correct?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Joe Immler

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. My '41 would shut off like your '47. It then became a flathead on a flatbed. This happened 5 times over a few months. Finally traced it to the condenser. It was not bolted securely to the block due to another mechanic stripping the threads and a bunch of grease in the bolt hole. The theory is that as the engine got warm on a trip and vibration caused the condensor to lose ground the engine shut off. Next day the car would run fine due to cooling down etc. Have not had the shutoff problem for going on 3 months. I don't know how your condenser is mounted but it is worth a look.
Joe Immler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
You can not use a test light on the coil, or on the coil side of the resistor. Use a multimeter. The resistor will not let enough current to pass to light the test light. With the distributor points open you will see voltage to ground on the wire of the coil going to ground (in your case - ) With the distributor points closed you will see zero volts there. Check with a digital multimeter what is the primary resistance, in ohms, of the coil. What is the resistance of the "Big Mallory Resistor" in ohms.
I'll do this tonight and post back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Immler View Post
I had a similar problem that drove me nuts. My '41 would shut off like your '47. It then became a flathead on a flatbed. This happened 5 times over a few months. Finally traced it to the condenser. It was not bolted securely to the block due to another mechanic stripping the threads and a bunch of grease in the bolt hole. The theory is that as the engine got warm on a trip and vibration caused the condensor to lose ground the engine shut off. Next day the car would run fine due to cooling down etc. Have not had the shutoff problem for going on 3 months. I don't know how your condenser is mounted but it is worth a look.
Condenser is mounted to distributor, and I tried another distributor. Also mine hasn't gotten spark at all since it shut off Sunday.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #13
El Rat

4dFord/sc had it, see above for answer!
El Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #14
Automotive Stud

Thanks everyone. I bypassed the ballast and got it started. I think the battery voltage was too low. I see now that it's running again my powermaster alternator doesn't have any output. I'm going to try to tighten up the belt first, otherwise I'll have to take it off and have it looked at.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
G.M.

I was going to ask about the battery but figured if it started the battery should be OK. G.M.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #16
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
I was going to ask about the battery but figured if it started the battery should be OK. G.M.
I thought the same, but I guess with only 11 volts it can still spin the 6v starter with no problem. Odd my volt gauge looked okay until it quit, though it clearly isn't charging at the moment. Hope to have it tested today. When I bought the powermaster in 2010 there was nothing but great reviews, now I'm seeing a lot of not so nice things about them.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
BUBBAS IGNITION

Hopefully when you get the charging system working it will be fixed....

I stayed out of this discussion from the start up as i just felt we didnt have enough information. But watching it every day i think it came out ok anyway.
However lets discuss the situation and what was said.

Customer said :

What I've got is a '47 59ab motor with the stock distributor. I'm running the one piece crab cap, a big old square Mallory coil, and I'm running on 12v neg ground. The car has been on the road like this for about 7-8 years.

You always need to give the car credit , if it ran ok for 7 years that rules out quite a bit. Coil, ballast and ignition seems to be very functional.

Yesterday I had it die on me on the highway. I have two problems that I don't know if they are related. It just shut off at 70 mph. When I costed over I saw it threw the fan belt off, but not the water pump/alternator belt, and I don't think it caused any other damage. It didn't get hot because I was on the highway.

Another bit of info, the car shut off and threw a belt off the front of the engine. Now after hearing more it could very be that the alternator caused this entire problem, maybe a short to ground causing the ignition to just quit etc.???

After getting it home I tried a test light on the coil, I don't show any juice on either of the terminals. I have a big mallory ballast resistor on the firewall, one wire goes to the stock ignition switch, the other obviously goes to the + coil terminal. With the key on I have power going into the ballast but the test light isn't even dim on the other side of the ballast. I thought I had it nailed down, but I switched in another new ballast from my dad's model a with the same setup and I still just get a ballast that is warm to touch and only shows power on one terminal. I'm at a loss now and welcome suggestions, thanks for reading.

As others stated , you really got to know your test light and the voltages it will light under. Also the use of a test lamp is positional , meaning the position of the distributor makes all the differences in the world with test light testing.
Ex: If the points are closed ( grounded) then current will flow making the voltage drop high in the ignition circuit causing a very dim test light based on voltage drop across the components.
Makes it even tougher to diagnose.....
staying tuned hoping this one is fixed ......with a new alternator etc ????
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
Bassman/NZ

I'm confused as to how the fan belt got thrown off..... it must have been very loose...
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBAS IGNITION View Post
Hopefully when you get the charging system working it will be fixed....

Another bit of info, the car shut off and threw a belt off the front of the engine. Now after hearing more it could very be that the alternator caused this entire problem, maybe a short to ground causing the ignition to just quit etc.???

As others stated , you really got to know your test light and the voltages it will light under. Also the use of a test lamp is positional , meaning the position of the distributor makes all the differences in the world with test light testing.
Ex: If the points are closed ( grounded) then current will flow making the voltage drop high in the ignition circuit causing a very dim test light based on voltage drop across the components.
Makes it even tougher to diagnose.....
staying tuned hoping this one is fixed ......with a new alternator etc ????
Thanks, we'll get this sorted out and see where I'm at. I don't think the belt failure was related. The alternator/water pump belt was still in place, just the fan belt. I didn't replace it when I put the other one on so it was old, it probably didn't like the long ride. I've used this test light on coils before and I knew it should be a little dimmer on the ballast and coil. It was clear I was getting nothing at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I'm confused as to how the fan belt got thrown off..... it must have been very loose...
The belt actually failed, it was coming apart but still barely flopping around the fan and crank pulley. Again, I think old age and higher rpms were the cause there. I didn't notice any temperature change but being on the highway kept the air flowing, I've never had problems with this one running hot.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #20
Automotive Stud

Tonight I took the powermaster to Napa and it actually reset their machine twice, so I'm thinking it's shorted internally. I'm going to shoot an email to powermaster to see if they will do anything but I doubt it. I still have a local generator shop in town I'll drop it off at tomorrow and see if they can do anything with it.