Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
gmcbuffalo

Default 3 brush generator

I have a 1935 engine with a three brush generator with two wires coming out of the casing. One wire is grounded to the case and the other to the
ARM side of a helmet metal box with a second terminal labeled Batt. I have learned that this is an after market generator. This is based on the front mounting bracket. The bearing as an seal come out the front with a large screw in disc that goes over the armature shaft. The original Ford generator the bearing were inserted on the inside and held in place by a clip ring.

I have a Ford's repair manual of generating and starting systems. my confusion in checking out this generator is the manual keeps referring to Field and Arm terminals. I know there has to be such things but I only have one wire out side of the ground.

I want to check out the armature by connecting the field to Arm terminals and then batt neg to Arm to see if the generator will motor.

GregM
gmcbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Terry,OH

Default Re: 3 brush generator

The metal helmet box on top is the cut out. When the engine stops it disconnects the generator so the battery does not discharge through the generator.
In 35 as well as other years, the front bearing and the seals are held in place by a special white metal threaded ring that is screwed into the front of the front mounting plate. This white metal ring is held in place by a snap ring. it sounds like you have a Ford generator. Look at the main body it should have the Ford script and a date code stamped into the metal.
Many generators are made of parts from many different years. A photo or two of what you have would be good.

There is no need to rewire the early Ford generator to make it motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32-35 Generator.jpg (77.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 34-36 Ford V8 generator assembly.jpg (82.6 KB, 179 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
petehoovie

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
gmcbuffalo

Thank you guys.
The reason to motor it was to test it.
Greg
gmcbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
koates

Motoring a generator to test it is not a conclusive test. It is possible it may motor but still not charge. The only way to test is when the generator is being driven either on the car or in an auto electrical test bench. If you want to motor your generator then connect battery negative to the one generator wire coming out of the housing and battery positive to the generator case. The other wire coming out of the gen and going to ground under the cut out base screw is the field wire. The Ford manual you are reading is for the later generators which have a separate field terminal dating from 1939 onwards. Your generator is for a 1934 to 1937 approx. models. The 1933 generator has no provision for air cooling, ie no fan blades on the pulley and no cooling openings in the front or rear generator end plates. i Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote