Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
zeffer1940

Default 35 fuel tank removal

Hey gang, I pulling the fuel tank out of my 35 phaeton, got to the fill neck, and i dont see a connector hose...Q- How is the fill neck joined to the tank?? How to seperate it to remove tank??
jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35_Ford_039.jpg (81.9 KB, 27 views)
zeffer1940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: 35 fuel tank removal

There is a threaded sleeve over the filler neck with a bunch of holes towards the outer end. These holes are intended for the use of a spanner wrench that will hopefully allow you to turn that sleeve and remove the filler neck. You want to spray generous amounts of a good penetrating oil (Kroil, PB Blaster, etc.) in the area where this sleeve threads into the tank maybe a day or two before you try to turn it. It can be a real PITA to get that sleeve and neck off in some cases. Just have patience and let the penetrating oil do it's job before putting the mussel to it.

Note that there is a lead washer inside the threaded opening sandwiched between the end of the sleeve and a flange inside the tank. You will want to replace this with a new lead seal washer when you put your tank back in.

PS.....I like your phaeton! Can you post some additional pictures and give us some history on this car? Maybe you have already done this and I just missed seeing it. Thank you
PSS....just found more pics on the "let's see your '35 post" but no history.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 02-25-2011 at 04:45 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

JM ..........................
You can also use a 2" O-Ring, instead of the lead washer. Today's gas might be hard on it, after a while. I am lucky. there is a station, in my neighborhood, that sells non-ethonol gasoline.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
FRANK PKNY

The spanner wrench is a #34-216 armstrong made in USA. I got mine from a large tool supply company I think it was MSG If you google it wrench number it might come up , it was about $16.00 as I recall. If you can't find the info by monday email me I have the catalog in my shop and I'll be there Monday.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
dewickt

Never was able to get mine loose, ended up pulling the fender off to get the tank out.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
flatheadfan

I have never done this but I have seen and heard cases where the neck would not come loose no matter what technique was used. To get around this problem the neck of the pipe was cut to allow for the tank to be removed normally without having to pull the fender. When things were put back together a fuel resistant hose was used to connect the two neck pieces back together not unlike a late '37 tank. Again, I have never done this but it appears that it can be done.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
31chevy

I have 34 pickup with same setup, I soaked it for many days & used a brass drift and hammer & was able to get it off.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote