Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
doghair3

Default 35 Vehicle ID

I am trying to determine the month when my car was built and possible where it was manufactured at. Below I have listed the VIN number as it appears on the frame rail. Does this number tell me anything and if not is their someplace else I should look? Is their a source where I can go to get this information?

VIN # 181831884
doghair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 35 Vehicle ID

go on the van pelt website and look for ranges of VIN numbers and it will give you a guess as to when it was produced, also look for window "bugs" these are dates as to when the glass was made and usually it was installed in cars with in a couple weeks of this date
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The number is a serial number and contains very little data other than the sequence in which the motors and transmissions were matted. The number was transfered to the frame when the engine/transmission was installed on the assembly line.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:18 PM   #4
Reconnoiter

On the floorboard, center (have to remove front seat) of my ‘34 is the stamping code “CHI” indicating Chicago manufacture location. Is the location of the code the same on a 35?

Last edited by Reconnoiter; 07-27-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Reconnoiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
rotorwrench

All you number will tell you is that it is a V8 "18" and it was a linear number in line of succession. If the car is original to a T then there will be characteristics that may be able to get you to the month or close. Even original window bugs (if it still has any original glass) won't get you closer than two months give or take. It's been a long time since 1935 and a lot of water has gone under that bridge.

My Pop had a 35 back in 1940 and up into the war years a bit. He bought it in Kansas and sold it in Florida so it may be impossible to tell where it was assembled. Those old cars got around.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghair3 View Post
I am trying to determine the month when my car was built and possible where it was manufactured at. Below I have listed the VIN number as it appears on the frame rail. Does this number tell me anything and if not is their someplace else I should look? Is their a source where I can go to get this information?

VIN # 181831884
The serial number will usually appear on the left side of the frame in three locations, and on the top of the transmission bell, above the clutch inspection plate, like this: ☆18-1831884☆

The 1935-36 Ford Book, published by the Early Ford V-8 Club, gives the serial numbers for 35 and 36 production, broken down into months. I don't have my copy handy or I would look up the month your car was manufactured.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Zimmco

Late April '35 according to Francis and DeAngelis in "The Early Ford V8 as Henry Built It"
Zimmco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #8
DavidG

John (JM 35 Sedan) and Zimmco,

With respect, those dates in the Club book and the DeAngelis book are the dates of the manufacture of the engine and transmission, not of the vehicle into which they were installed. Normally that would not occur for weeks, but in some instances months later. Except for big Lincolns of the period, despite exhaustive searches in Ford's archives, no record has been found of the build dates of Ford vehicles.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
John (JM 35 Sedan) and Zimmco,

With respect, those dates in the Club book and the DeAngelis book are the dates of the manufacture of the engine and transmission, not of the vehicle into which they were installed. Normally that would not occur for weeks, but in some instances months later. Except for big Lincolns of the period, despite exhaustive searches in Ford's archives, no record has been found of the build dates of Ford vehicles.
Thanks for the correction David.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote