Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-27-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
rockfla

Default 39 Mercury trans cover/shifter seal?

I talked to Mike at Third Gen about this as I am redoing the floor boards and all in our 39 Mercury. I have ordered the trans cover gasket, and the shifter gasket for under the cover BUT according to what I took off, there "seems" to be a "rubberized thread impregnated" gasket/seal attached at three points that "maybe" held the floor mat in place???? and the shifter boot fit over the top of???? ANY Mercury guru's OR possibly 39 Ford guys with an "Idea"???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39MercShftrGaskt.jpg (7.6 KB, 49 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 39 Mercury trans cover/shifter seal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I talked to Mike at Third Gen about this as I am redoing the floor boards and all in our 39 Mercury. I have ordered the trans cover gasket, and the shifter gasket for under the cover BUT according to what I took off, there "seems" to be a "rubberized thread impregnated" gasket/seal attached at three points that "maybe" held the floor mat in place???? and the shifter boot fit over the top of???? ANY Mercury guru's OR possibly 39 Ford guys with an "Idea"???

There was no seal or gasket between the mat and the floor board. If there was something there in your car, someone added it.
Two clips held the mat in place - nothing else. One on each side of the transmission pan "tunnel". Repop pans do not have these holes.
The picture I've attached is a '39 standard (no shift boot), but shows the two clips in their proper placement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0220 - Copy.jpg (76.5 KB, 68 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #3
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
There was no seal or gasket between the mat and the floor board. If there was something there in your car, someone added it.
Two clips held the mat in place - nothing else. One on each side of the transmission pan "tunnel". Repop pans do not have these holes.
The picture I've attached is a '39 standard (no shift boot), but shows the two clips in their proper placement.

Kube, thanks for your expertise
I have also posted a picture of our "well" worn floor mat out of the Merc which is still quite intact in the area you have pointed out as having "two clips", not there on the Merc. You can also see that the silhouette of the Merc is slightly "different" than that of the Ford, I talked to Mike (Third Gen) about using the "Ford" mat as a replacement and I believe that this would be the "only" option (with "possible altercation) other than stabilizing my current mat. I ordered the floor screw kit from Mike for the 39 Ford and it is 1/2 correct for what I have removed from the Mercury......3/4 of the transmission cover screws are #14 x 3/4 Pan Head Slot tapping screws (Of which I had to grind the heads off and remove by vise grip after soaking) and NOT machine screw like in my kit.....ONLY TWO of the screws on the Trans cover were machine screws..the two up buy the wood floor boards??? Those "same" #14 X 3/4 tapping screws hold the gasket In question on in three spots and are exactly as the one on the trans cover with a 1/4 washer under the head (which is also in the kit and match up exactly to what I removed) as posted in my original post.....SO not sure JUST how different Mercury's are form Ford OR IF the fact that our Merc is a Oct of 38 produced car, it early and has "several" differences than later 39 Mercs we have seen......IF that is also a factor??? BUT I believe the remnant of what is left is "original" to the Mercury....NOT to be arbitrary and what is left is a perfect fit to the opening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39MercFloorMat.jpg (36.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 39MercShftrGaskt.jpg (7.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Kube, thanks for your expertise
I have also posted a picture of our "well" worn floor mat out of the Merc which is still quite intact in the area you have pointed out as having "two clips", not there on the Merc. You can also see that the silhouette of the Merc is slightly "different" than that of the Ford, I talked to Mike (Third Gen) about using the "Ford" mat as a replacement and I believe that this would be the "only" option (with "possible altercation) other than stabilizing my current mat. I ordered the floor screw kit from Mike for the 39 Ford and it is 1/2 correct for what I have removed from the Mercury......3/4 of the transmission cover screws are #14 x 3/4 Pan Head Slot tapping screws (Of which I had to grind the heads off and remove by vise grip after soaking) and NOT machine screw like in my kit.....ONLY TWO of the screws on the Trans cover were machine screws..the two up buy the wood floor boards??? Those "same" #14 X 3/4 tapping screws hold the gasket In question on in three spots and are exactly as the one on the trans cover with a 1/4 washer under the head (which is also in the kit and match up exactly to what I removed) as posted in my original post.....SO not sure JUST how different Mercury's are form Ford OR IF the fact that our Merc is a Oct of 38 produced car, it early and has "several" differences than later 39 Mercs we have seen......IF that is also a factor??? BUT I believe the remnant of what is left is "original" to the Mercury....NOT to be arbitrary and what is left is a perfect fit to the opening.
I can't claim any expertise with the Merc's. However, the Ford mats did not have a hole in them for the clip(s). I've had a number of authentic mats, even a couple of NOS (service parts). The authentic mats did not have a die cut hole and the service parts had no holes.
I can only guess that the same would hold true for the Merc mat. I'd think the manufacturing process would have been the same.
I am not familiar with the repop fastener kits. What you'd described to have found in your car sounds correct. However, as memory serves, there are no #14 screws there. Seems to me they are all 1/4".
Let's hope a Mercury expert can weigh in here...
Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
rockfla

Kube
I use #14 because that is the way (modern) "Tapping" screws are commercially done not by fraction designation SO #14 would be 1/4 (or very very close decimal-ly). .2515 as I currently Mic one!!! KUBE the "bigger" question for me IS with ALL of the 39 & 40 exploits and restorations you have done HOW is it that a Mercury has never been the object of your perfection!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 03-27-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:07 PM   #6
rockfla

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just got home and the 39 Ford floorboard seals were on the porch an can tell you they are ”somewhat” different than the Mercury boards! Will post pic’s as soon as I can.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Kube
I use #14 because that is the way (modern) "Tapping" screws are commercially done not by fraction designation SO #14 would be 1/4 (or very very close decimal-ly). .2515 as I currently Mic one!!! KUBE the "bigger" question for me IS with ALL of the 39 & 40 exploits and restorations you have done HOW is it that a Mercury has never been the object of your perfection!!!!
Funny! I did restore a '39 Merc convertible a number of years ago. Why no more than that? I guess I have always adored the '39 - '40 Fords and they just kinda "happened" in regard to my exploits.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Funny! I did restore a '39 Merc convertible a number of years ago. Why no more than that? I guess I have always adored the '39 - '40 Fords and they just kinda "happened" in regard to my exploits.
I can only imagine what it must have been like when you were done. And to me the 39 Mercury Convertible is already a thing of beauty, after you were done......wowzer’s!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

I am still amazed that Ford would have different stampings for a '39 Merc and '39 Ford.

My buddy did a '39 Ford four door convertible for his father. At a show, someone have a '39 Merc four door convertible. There was not one piece of sheet metal that interchanged. The Merc was longer or wider in every respect. It was amazing to see it side by side.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #10
Clem Clement

Tim,
There wee only 40 Four door converts. I have a fully restored 40. I will try a get a photo if you wish and I can. not original tho.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 06:20 AM   #11
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I am still amazed that Ford would have different stampings for a '39 Merc and '39 Ford.

My buddy did a '39 Ford four door convertible for his father...

Tim, Was that the Shepherd car by any chance?
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 AM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Tim, Was that the Shepherd car by any chance?
Yes, it absolutely is. Beautifully done.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
Tim,
There wee only 40 Four door converts. I have a fully restored 40. I will try a get a photo if you wish and I can. not original tho.
Hi Clem:

Thanks for the correction. Shows how little I know about these cars. Haha. I do recall them being different ('40 Merc v. Ford). Is that correct or am I wrong on that too?
Old 03-28-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
KGS

Quote:
Yes, it absolutely is. Beautifully done.

Absolutely a gorgeous car! Frank was a good friend of mine. A really great guy that we lost March a year ago.
I used to kid him about him copying the color of my convertible. He denied it but always with a smile and a wink. If I can find it, I'll post a picture of it here for the rest of the guy's to drool over.
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #15
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGS View Post
Absolutely a gorgeous car! Frank was a good friend of mine. A really great guy that we lost March a year ago.
I used to kid him about him copying the color of my convertible. He denied it but always with a smile and a wink. If I can find it, I'll post a picture of it here for the rest of the guy's to drool over.
I can get them from Scott if you don't have them. Yes, I was one of the pallbearers at Mr. Shepherd's funeral. Truly a great man. Many fond memories of him.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #16
Clem Clement

TIM,
The tubs for the Ford and Merc were built by Ford or one sub( I have forgotten the company.) Lots of parts are different
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:44 AM   #17
rockfla

Quote:

My buddy did a '39 Ford four door convertible for his father. At a show, someone have a '39 Merc four door convertible. There was not one piece of sheet metal that interchanged. The Merc was longer or wider in every respect. It was amazing to see it side by side.
There is A LOT more that is different than "just" the measurements and sheet metal.....as I am finding more and more each day.......floor boards, transmission cover & the subsequent gaskets....trim clips.....floor mats and I'm sure more to follow
Old 03-30-2020, 08:03 AM   #18
Tim Ayers

Quote:
There is A LOT more that is different than "just" the measurements and sheet metal.....as I am finding more and more each day.......floor boards, transmission cover & the subsequent gaskets....trim clips.....floor mats and I'm sure more to follow
I forgot exactly what my friend said, but lets say Ford built 4,000 tubs in '40. Merc. built like 1,200. It was some crazy ratio less than Ford.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
rockfla

Quote:
I forgot exactly what my friend said, but lets say Ford built 4,000 tubs in '40. Merc. built like 1,200. It was some crazy ratio less than Ford.
I don't have the "exact" numbers BUT I know our 39 Mercury Sedan Coupe was 7970 total units...I believe our 39 Mercury Town Sedan was around 12,000 total, the 2 door sedan was (I believe) just under 10,000 and even into 40, our 4 Door Sedan like Clem has above was 979 ours being #971.