Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 PM   #1
Charles Reese

Default Component Finishes

Due to the hard work and perseverance of many, the JS offers us a wealth of information re: finishes for most components of our projects. I don't wish to stir up a hornet’s nest but would like ‘opinions’ of the following products to approximate the finishes we are trying to replicate.

* “Raven” … Rust oleum Rust Reformer: actually a unique 'flat' color ... but once used, does this product stand up to weather (humidity) or does it have to be overcoated with ‘paint’? I have not had any luck with various Parkerizing, gun bluing products, etc..

* “Unfinished” … Eastwood Factory Gray-Cast Iron Color or Eastwood Zink Phosphate: any advantage over clear lacquer (rattle can) over clean bare metal?

* “Cadmium” … Eastwood Silver Cad: next to impossible to find actual cad plating in my area.

* Suggestions for other products?

* Feel free to PM if you dont wish the wrath of posting here
Charles Reese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:43 PM   #2
al's28/33

Default Re: Component Finishes

Perhaps anyone who has had their vehicles "Judged" can post photos of these parts to show us what to expect ???
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Big hammer

Raven- Rustoleum rust reformer, I’ve used this on the top of a modern car where the paint peeled off leaving primer that then rusted. The reformer turned the rust a nice flat black, never did repaint :-( the reformer lasted about a year before rust started back.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Charles Reese

see below
meant to include al's28/33 quote

Last edited by Charles Reese; 07-28-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:36 AM   #5
Charles Reese

Quote:
Originally Posted by al's28/33 View Post
Perhaps anyone who has had their vehicles "Judged" can post photos of these parts to show us what to expect ???
Pix would be helpful, along with names of products used (or found not useful).
humidity is the enemy! here in VA seems even fiberglass will rust
Old 07-24-2018, 02:54 PM   #6
wrndln

I agree with Brent, sometimes people here get hostile with other people asking fine point questions, like I do. Many knowledgeable people have left this site or at least don't post anymore because of what Brent stated above. Some people like to restore vehicles to fine point (or almost fine point - i.e. correct as reasonable) and some don't. I see no problem with either doing fine point restoration (or close to it) or just doing a driver model A.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
al's28/33

Charles, too bad we humans are so opinionated. It would really be nice to actually see these mysterious cad and chrome and raven and butler finished components of a truly original or restored Model "A" Ford. I am of the belief that the uneducated folks have the loudest bark, those of us akin to verbal abuse have become the "silent majority". We are all entitled to our opinion just be respectful of others at the same time. Too bad people are afraid of the criticism here, I would not mind to post pictures and help fellow hobbyists if and when I had the means to do so. I have helped a few and have received much help from others thru this website.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:46 AM   #8
Chris Haynes

Raven finish can be duplicated by Parkerizing metal parts. You can easily do it at home. Cadmium Plating is cheap. Do every part for your car in one batch.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:06 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #10
gustafson
BANNED

gustafson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
dumb person

That black finish many bolts have, i try to reserve that with linseed oil, satin clear coat would work better but eventually, they all rust away.

I have seen silver ...not powder coating, it think it was a ceramic coating that withstood heat, just in case you wanted to keep your exhaust manifold looking nice.

I'll get told that it's "Oh so terrible" and to scrap my car, but i used that vinyl wrap on the bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Please understand that part of the issue is most all of the Fine-Point guys have received so much grief and ridicule
Actually i find it's the fine points guys who ridicule everyone else.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #12
wrndln

I have never seen a fine point Fordbarner ridicule anyone here on Fordbarn and I post and read here often. Maybe I am not looking for problems. Dumb Person, if you have two or three examples of the ridicule you speak of, please post it and I will admit I am incorrect. I have seen fine point people point out something that is obviously incorrect by a poster, which I don't see a ridicule.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM   #13
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have never seen a fine point Fordbarner ridicule anyone here on Fordbarn and I post and read here often. Maybe I am not looking for problems. Dumb Person, if you have two or three examples of the ridicule you speak of, please post it and I will admit I am incorrect. I have seen fine point people point out something that is obviously incorrect by a poster, which I don't see a ridicule.
Rusty Nelson
That's pretty much been my experience as well. It always seems to be the alternator/overdrive crowd telling others how stupid they are to worry about what style backing plates are correct for a given month of production, or any number of other detail oriented discussions. That's one of the biggest reasons I don't pop in here as often as I once did.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:22 PM   #14
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

HERE are questions Charles asked for everyone to see and the answers he was given. You can see them all on the other site and more.

Thanks for the info posted on VFF… very helpful!

* “Raven” … Rust oleum Rust Reformer: actually an interesting 'flat' color ... but once used, does this product stand up to weather (humidity) or does it have to be overcoated with ‘paint’? I have not had any luck with various Parkerizing, gun bluing products, etc..

DP90 is MUCH MUCH Better to use and looks more correct.
Also you can buy "PRESTO BLACK" best i have seen, you can get from Birchwood Labs in MN...(google it) you drop it in and in about 3 min its black, clear water rinse, dry and spray with Satin. Out standing and all will match.

I assume you are talking DP90 with hardener (2-part)… might try small volume via an air brush since I have so few raven parts
CORRECT

Website pics of Presto Black seem to show nice finish. A bit pricey tho for the few raven pieces needed. Wish it came in smaller size … do you know anyone that would want to split a gallon>
Actually know I don’t but let me see if I can find another product that does that same, there are many out there available

* “Unfinished” … Eastwood Factory Gray-Cast Iron Color or Eastwood Zink Phosphate: any advantage over clean bare metal sprayed with clear lacquer (rattle can)?

Wire Brushed and then sprayed with "SATIN" clear
lots of options … did your research find a favorite brand to hold up best?
Rustolium or any of them, what is important is it is SATIN only….

* “Cadmium” … Eastwood Silver Cad: next to impossible to find actual cad plating in my area.

Works fine but test first, I have used metallic silver with better results
Is this the eastwood 2-part stuff? Or something in rattle can
Rattle Can only.

* "Chassis Black" ... Eastwood Chassis Black: acceptable?

This is okay but a bit FLATTER than you really want for Fine Point...A Rattle can of Semi Gloss will work better as it always comes out flatter which is correct
Again, lots of options … did your research find a favorite brand? I like the rattle can idea!
Rustolium, makes sure its Satin Black….that is what you want

Mark
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:39 AM   #15
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I have never seen a fine point Fordbarner ridicule anyone here on Fordbarn and I post and read here often. Maybe I am not looking for problems.
Most of the time it's a new person asking a simple question, maybe about radiator, they post a picture, people get distracted by 19 inch wheels on a '28, 2 pages of replies about how it's got a 12 volt conversion & the hood gap needs adjusting ect. But nobody addressed their original question. They give up in frustration & sell the car at a loss. You may have seen such threads in the past.

post #12

Laughing at the colour

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #16
Ryan
Administrator

I cleaned this thread up a bit. Couple of things:

1. I don’t get “fine point” cars. Just not my thing... however, I’m super glad other people do it and I appreciate them for sure.

2. The whole “I’ll send you a pm” thing is a bit childish.. That, I don’t appreciate.

The owner of the “other site” keeps creating user names and spamming our users. Just crazy...

Fellas.... these are just cars.... and this is just a message board. I don’t know why people try so hard to make more of it. There’s no need.

Anyway, sorry for the interruption. Back to your thread.