Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-05-2019, 08:13 PM   #1
steve fritz

Default engine compartment paint color

What would be the correct paint for 55 Ford engine compartment? That is the inner fenders , core support , Apron, air shields on either side of the radiator,
heater motor and ducts, etc. Looks like it should be all black , but is it semi-gloss black , gloss black or no gloss???
Is the bottom shield below and behind the grill suppose to be an Argent silver color? Also , are the hood hinges suppose to be black or exterior car color ??
Steve

Last edited by steve fritz; 06-05-2019 at 08:28 PM.
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: engine compartment paint color

I used Rustoleum gloss black enamel for all the black inner fender aprons, air-horns, front air deflectors, etc. Once it is dry, it is not super glossy and appears to match the factory finish pretty well and the paint is very durable.
If you have parts stripped to bare metal, I would suggest acid etching the bare metal first, then apply metal primer and enamel overcoat.
Rustoleum is offered in quart cans that you can use with your air-compressor and spray gun outfit, or you can buy in aerosol cans. Available at most hardware stores.
The front splash pan is painted Ford Argent silver enamel. It is available at many of the resto parts suppliers in aerosol cans.
The hood hinges are painted the base color of the car body. The only hood hinges that were black from the factory were installed on cars with base color black.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
steve fritz

Dave....when you use the Rustoleum in quarts in spray gun, do you use a reducer or straight out of the can without any added reducer or thinner?
Thanks,
Steve
steve fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
all american boy

Flat black or body color.

I don't know nothin' about 'correct' for that year but I do know something.

YOU are going to be driving it and YOU are putting in the time in to restore it

so make it the way you like.

Flat black will be easier to live with.It won't show dirt and grease, oil.

Body color will look better.

Have fun!

'Yes it has.Before I was a multi-millionaire.'-Quote
all american boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Hot Rod Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve fritz View Post
Dave....when you use the Rustoleum in quarts in spray gun, do you use a reducer or straight out of the can without any added reducer or thinner?
Thanks,
Steve
Steve, I can't speak for Dave, but I always reduce Rustoleum in the quart cans about 20% or so before spraying. I use Acetone. I too used Rustoleum for the gravel pan, the air deflectors, and inner fenders.

One word about Rustoleum - it will take quite a bit of time to cure.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:28 AM   #6
Ford blue blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post

About two days with mean ol Mr. Sun helping out! It "tack" dries in a couple of hours but will take finger prints and such for a couple of days. That is why I like urethane, comes in satin, flat, and of course gloss.

But my absolute favorite is powder coating! Columbia Coatings and an old electric oven have become my best friend for the small stuff. I even made an extension to cover larger/longer items that mounts on the lowered door.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
HOTRODPRIMER

I mader the mistake of painting the inner fenders the green body color and it looked horrible, I went back with blank and it looked great.HRP
Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
scicala

Steve, one thing I noticed that was different when I had the wagon, is that the firewall was painted body color (Aquatone blue) but where the firewall met the floor pan the underbody was painted black. I've heard that passenger cars used body color on the floor pan too.
I guess wagons were different. I'm sure the firewall and floor underbody were like that when built on the wagon.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #9
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
Steve, one thing I noticed that was different when I had the wagon, is that the firewall was painted body color (Aquatone blue) but where the firewall met the floor pan the underbody was painted black. I've heard that passenger cars used body color on the floor pan too.
I guess wagons were different. I'm sure the firewall and floor underbody were like that when built on the wagon. Sal
The factory policy at that time was to paint the underbody, interior floor and structure, firewall (each in their entirety) with the base color of the body exterior.
I have seen several cars that had the firewall below the top-of-cowl seam painted flat black, but that was never done by the factory. That was done by later owners. I have also seen several cars that had the inner fender-aprons painted to match the body color. To me, it always looked horrible, but none were done that way from the factory. Also seen many having front splashpans painted to match body exterior color. To me, doesn't look good and none were done like this from the factory. All splashpans were painted argent silver enamel.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #10
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Reverend View Post
Steve, I can't speak for Dave, but I always reduce Rustoleum in the quart cans about 20% or so before spraying. I use Acetone. I too used Rustoleum for the gravel pan, the air deflectors, and inner fenders.

When I did mine, I mixed in about 15% cheap enamel reducer also available at hardware stores. Read label on Rustoleum can for best results as to selection of reducer.
I left my parts out in the direct sunlight Laying on pieces of lumber strung across the concrete driveway. The sunlight tends to bake the black enamel onto the surface. I can recall moving the parts inside the garage using a coat-hanger hook just for nightfall, and moving them back out on the lumber for a second day. I noticed they were dry enough to handle with bare hands late in the afternoon. Of course, these results may differ depending upon how much and what type of reducer you use.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
Ford blue blood

Steve all the books I have for Ford cars have the engine compartment fender wells, radiator support and miscellaneous components semi gloss black with the fire wall body color.

My Ranchero and Retractable are like that. The Edsel has a funky looking green on the under body. The fire wall is body color. The remaining engine compartment stuff is gloss black. And yet another exception is the Birds. 61 & early 62s were body color, later 62s and up were undercoated for a finish.

2016 F-150
2016 Focus
08 Shelby GT500
57 Ford Ranchero
36 Chevy, 351C/FMX, 8", Mustang II
Ford blue blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #12
scicala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
The factory policy at that time was to paint the underbody, interior floor and structure, firewall (each in their entirety) with the base color of the body exterior.
I have seen several cars that had the firewall below the top-of-cowl seam painted flat black, but that was never done by the factory. That was done by later owners. I have also seen several cars that had the inner fender-aprons painted to match the body color. To me, it always looked horrible, but none were done that way from the factory. Also seen many having front splashpans painted to match body exterior color. To me, doesn't look good and none were done like this from the factory. All splashpans were painted argent silver enamel.

The wagon we are talking about was originally black underbody, and the interior floor and firewall were body color (Aquatone blue).

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #13
paul2748

55-57 TBirds had all engine compartment sheet metal painted body color
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote