Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #1
Midwest Tin

Default Manufacturing Mistakes on Original Parts

I was just wondering if anyone has come across any model A items/parts that have been manufactured incorrectly. Last spring I purchase two 6300 TR80 Schrader Tire valve stems and found one of them with the lettering installed upside down. I would like to know if anyone has any other interesting items/parts they have found.
Thanks, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0834.jpg (41.1 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0829.jpg (77.6 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by Midwest Tin; 01-12-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Lawrie

Default Re: Manufacturing Mistakes

Lots of the A parts are upside down, down under.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:01 AM   #3
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Jim,

1. Just removed an early manufactured Model A aluminum fan with incorrect taper; hence, it came loose about (3) times -- threw it in the garbage installed a new aluminum fan with correct taper at about 4 a.m. this morning.

2. Before that, at about 3 a.m., just installed a new steering wheel -- had to work back side for about (2) hours to remove material so it would not bottom out & cause friction when turned.

3. One can easily go through at least (2) to (3) Dremel tools during a single Model A restoration in trying to make repro parts fit.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
MikeK

I think a lot of original parts that had defects rendering them unusable ended up floating forever in some dealer's parts/stock rooms. Years ago I had a NOS front fender, complete with the Ford inventory tag, from a closed dealership. The fender bolted up perfectly, but the dimple with the two holes for the light-bar was at least two inches too far backward.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Barry B./ Ma.

I had an original tool bag in my tudor that had one snap assembled backwards, slipped through inspection with the tools inside.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Great Lakes Greg

I had a 21 inch wheel with the hub off from the rim by a few degrees before the spokes were welded. As a result, two of the lug nut holes were covered by the spokes making access with a lug wrench very difficult.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
Keith True

I have an NOS worm gear and shaft,NOS sector housing,and a NOS sector for a two tooth box.I got them in the 70's,they came from the South Weare Garage that was a Ford dealer in the A era.I saved them for years,and about 5 years ago I built a steering box with them to use in my pickup.I have NEVER been able to adjust that box.When I finally took it apart and started looking I found the sector machined incorrectly.One tooth is off,the teeth are not parallel with each other.It is off enough to see by eye if you are looking for it.When compared side by side with another sector it really shows up.I also found the shaft and worm are not straight,but I attribute that to the part being leaned on a wall and knocked over dozens of times in the last 80 years.It also has stamps and labels all over it showing it was shipped from dealer to dealer with the last date being 1949 by REA.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Rock Hornbuckle

After a career in Engineering, I'm of the opinion that if you want to see something get fouled up, get humans involved with it.
'14 100th Anniversary Challenger Limited Edition.

Semper Fidelis
Rock Hornbuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Rock,

Agree!

And, per your reply #8, might add ................ not just in "engineering".

Your statement could also include:

1. Employees preparing simple non-hi-tech orders of hamburgers at fast food restaurants with your order of: "No onions, No cheese, & No mayo"; and,

2. In Mr. Tom W's case, employees in mail delivery handling packages with "FRAGILE" written on all six (6) sides of the box in LARGE red letters as large as Railroad Boxcar Letters; and,

3. Cooks sending out still cold, bleeding steaks when you ordered it Medium Well; and,

4. Trousers bought at Wal-Mart where one saw the inside sewn-in tag marked: "Size 32 -- Made in India."; and later at home witness that the trousers are actually about a size 29.

5. When one buys (3) eggplants at a grocery & the young cashier asks, "What are these?"; and,

6. When a bartender gives you "Pink Squirrel" made in a blender when you ordered an "Old Fashion"; and,

7. When a bank teller, postal clerk, or merchant gives you change for a $100.00 dollar bill when you gave them a $20.00 bill, or in many cases, vice versa; and,

8. Well ......................... others may think of a few interesting experiences to help prove your point.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:12 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Tin View Post
I was just wondering if anyone has come across any model A items/parts that have been manufactured incorrectly. Last spring I purchase two 6300 TR80 Schrader Tire valve stems and found one of them with the lettering installed upside down. I would like to know if anyone has any other interesting items/parts they have found.
Thanks, Jim
Now back to the original question Midwest Tin asked!

And I take it Midwest Tin means original Model A parts...not reproduction parts (that would fill a page and then some!).

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
1928Fordman

Here is a shock that I have that was stamped upside down.

IMG_0960.jpg
1928Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:22 PM   #12
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Tin View Post
Thanks, Jim
I wonder how "DOC" would grade that in "Fine Point Judging" ??.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
Midwest Tin

Default Re: Manufacturing Mistakes on Original Parts

Thanks Pluck, Just original parts with mistakes.

1928Fordman got it.

Hi Fred, Doc states he has never scene this before.

Jim
Midwest Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #14
ursus

I think a lot of original parts that had defects rendering them unusable ended up floating forever in some dealer's parts/stock rooms. Years ago I had a NOS front fender, complete with the Ford inventory tag, from a closed dealership. The fender bolted up perfectly, but the dimple with the two holes for the light-bar was at least two inches too far backward.

I agree with MikeK's comment above. I have seen some of defective NOS Ford parts being sold on e-Bay, but with no disclosure that they may be unusable. In this case, NOS means New Obsolete Stock.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
ursus

[QUOTE]I think a lot of original parts that had defects rendering them unusable ended up floating forever in some dealer's parts/stock rooms. Years ago I had a NOS front fender, complete with the Ford inventory tag, from a closed dealership. The fender bolted up perfectly, but the dimple with the two holes for the light-bar was at least two inches too far backward.

I agree with MikeK's comment above. I have seen some of defective NOS Ford parts being sold on e-Bay, but with no disclosure that they may be unusable. In this case, NOS means New Obsolete Stock.
]
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #16
Greg Jones

When I was restoring my 26 Ford coupe back in 1980, there was a LOT of Model T New Old Stock (NOS) available. What I found was that probably 20% of it consisted of manufacturing culls that got through inspection. Some were workable, some just junk (bolt holes off in castings, etc.). I imagine the same would be true for Model As. I can just see a mechanic working in a Ford dealership-picks out a new replacement part, goes to install it and discovers it was not made correctly so throws it either back in the parts bin or in the corner. Years later, us Ford parts hunters buy out the stuff from that long ago closed dealership....and now we have the same problem. But it is NOS!
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:43 PM   #17
J Franklin

I had a pair of NOS rear hubs that would accept the new bearing but not go on as the finale finish was about .005 too small.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #18
Keith True

I also have a left frame rail with the serial number/engine number stamped just above the rear running board bracket.The frame had been used as a fence gate for years,and the bottom rail,(right rail)was cupped facing up so it filled with pine needles and rotted away.The local scrap boys always bring me anything they think might be A,that was one of the pieces they dragged in from a cleanup.Somebody was looking at it and asked what the numbers were back there.We sanded it and an A number showed up clearly.We've all sat around speculating how a worker got a little behind,and rushed to get a number stamped before the chassis passed him by.Or the guy doing the stamping was giving a hand to other workers for a minute and missed his time.We've concocted dozens of scenarios as to how it happened.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:46 PM   #19
Roger V

Saw a NOS front fender where the area that lays on the frame was formed incorrectly (as if the blank wasn't held in position in the form die and slipped). Someone, don't remember who, was of the opinion that manufacturing rejects were used for dealer service replacement parts. Those of course became some of our NOS parts.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:27 PM   #20
Kevin in NJ

Several things to consider.

First off Ford saved every dime. What are the odds that parts that were off enough he would not use them on the line but decide the dealer could make them work?

Now what if the part was so bad it would not work?
Do you think the guys in the shop might not keep it around to give to the new guy?
What are the odds that part got shoved to the back of the shelf till Joe Restorer thought he hit the jack pot at an auction?

The other problem was after production quality control would not have been as good. Ford also may have contracted replacement parts which also may lower quality.

I check all parts for specs before I use them.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote