Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #1
roccaas

Default Broken Pigtail causes Distributor NOT to spark??

I've got a no start issue that I'm working through.

Gas is OK
Air is OK
Starter cranks like a champ

Distributor and plugs will not spark.

All connections from the starter, alternator (6V +Ground), terminal block, key switch and armored distributor line, alternator are all OK. Replaced the coil, and I believe it (and the older one) to be fine. Fuse on top of the starter is good, fuse in the line from the alternator to the terminal box is good.

I opened the distributor and found that the pigtail from the lower, new style plate, was barely hanging on to it's crimp in the lower plate. The original spade pigtail had evidently pulled out before I got the car, and had been replaced with a stranded wire crimped into the lower plate, but the pigtail "seemed" a little short given the movement of the upper plate. Upper plate is new style.

If I had a thermal issue (car would stop when hot after a cold start), or an issue of the pigtail "detaching" from it's crimp as I adjusted the spark advance and moved the upper plate ~~stretching the pigtail~~~ might that account for the coil not sparking when grounded to a head bolt?

I'll put in a new lower plate and pigtail, and a new coil/distributor cable.

Anything else I can look into?

Book of Les - Many Chapters studied!!
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #2
Phil

Default Re: Broken Pigtail causes Distributor NOT to spark??

Disconnect the two wires from the coil ( so you don't get any false reading on your meter) the blank wire should be 6 volts to ground. With the key on the red should show ground (ohm meter from red wire to clean area on engine) when the points are closed, and not grounded when the are open. If you get these reading probably coil, if you don't get these reading will work from there to figure it out.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
dnkcurtis

I rebuild Distributors, one of the ways I check them, on the bench, is to take an ohm reading from the ignition plate to the upper plate, open points should show no reading, closed should show a change in the reading. Make sure you move the upper plate like it would move from advance to retard. One of things I found in a couple modern point set up is the condenser screw is to long and hangs below the upper plate enough to touch the wire connection, which is just below this screw. When the upper plate is moved it can touch here and short here. I make sure the lower plate connections are not to high and the condense screw is not sticking down beyond the plate. Just an issue I have had with the modified modern points set up.

Good luck
dnkcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
ctlikon0712

Quote:
I found in a couple modern point set up is the condenser screw is to long and hangs below the upper plate enough to touch the wire connection, which is just below this screw.
dnkcurtis, that is good to know. Thanks for sharing that.