Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #1
danliveshere

Default 1936 fuel line and wiring loom clamps?

Guys I’ve done a search but can’t find the answer to my question. I’m installing a 36 fuel tank in my 35 so I can use a 36 fuel gauge. What is the correct clamps for installing the single fuel line and tail light cables? Are they the same push on clamp that just slips over the bottom of the frame?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:57 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: 1936 fuel line and wiring loom clamps?

Here is a pic from an old post by David which are for '32's.The clamp opposite the hole of the black firewall clamp is probably what will work for the fuel line.The push on ones are for the wiring loom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clamps.jpg (26.7 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 02-15-2020 at 06:04 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 AM   #3
nelsb01

There will be a clamp similar to the 5th one down on the left side for holding the gas line to the top of the rear frame cross member (over axle). There will be two of the same along side frame using the running board bolts to hold the gas line.These clamps have a round hole for the bolts.
On the right side, the first clip pictured horizontal will be the clip to hold the wiring.
Do you own the Early Ford V-8 Club's 1935-1936 Ford Book? There are a great explaination and pictures about the clips.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #4
VeryTangled

Not exactly on topic but when I used a 36 tank in my 35 I used the repro filler neck because the one I took out had been buggered by the previous owner. That 36 neck is a touch short because of the different tail light/gas filler stands raise a touch lower over the fender in the later year. If you can use the old neck on the new tank I think you will be better off.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 05:45 AM   #5
danliveshere

Thanks guys. I’m away at the moment but when I get home next week I’ll look up my 35/36 book, it’s got so much information in it I must admit I forgot to look in it. Good tip regarding the 35 filler. I was going to remove it anyway to put a new lead washer in it so I’ll look at my 35 tank. So does that mean the tail light harness get routed in a different spot to the fuel line? If you use the running board bolts for the clamp then the fuel line is right in the corner and the wiring harness in the middle of the lower half of the frame using the push on clamps?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:59 AM   #6
Don Rogers

Dan, The gas line routing is different than the tail light routing and uses different clips.

Here is a summary of the tail light routing and clips.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 REARWIRE BW with text.jpg (70.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg clips.jpg (29.3 KB, 23 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:02 AM   #7
Don Rogers

Here is a summary of the gas line routing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas line routing1.jpg (34.4 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Gas line routing-2.jpg (46.9 KB, 94 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:46 PM   #8
Viv W

Dan,
I assume your car is RIGHT HAND DRIVE same as mine, and therefore I assume there are differences between the LHD and RHD cars.
My RHD car, came fitted with a 36 or even a 37 tank fitted to my 35 phaeton, there was a problem with the angle of the cast iron bracket that the filler pipe screws into on the tank, consequently the filler pipe could not be screwed into the tank as it fouled the bodywork. The previous owner had cut the filler pipe in the middle and joined the pipe with rubber tube. I had a choice of cutting the body, or cutting the tank to change the angle of the bracket, so that I could screw a new pipe into the tank. I chose the latter.
Also bear in mind on the LHD cars, the exhaust system runs thru the right hand side of the chassis frame and on the left side of the frame on RHD cars.
I have put the gas/fuel line along the left side of the frame and tail light wiring along the right hand side, as that is where the light switch body is situated, on the bottom of the steering column.
I used model A type wiring clips for the wiring harness and some bolt type clips for the gas line.
Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote