Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Todd Sgamba

Default How do you install a timing cover seal?

What's the trick to installing the 2 piece rope packing/seal in the timing cover and the oil pan on a model A? I've been told to cut it off flush with the cover and pan surfaces. I heard if I do this, it will shrink and leak. I've also heard to not cut it at all. If I don't cut it off, there's no way to properly tighten the oil pan down. Hopefully someone can help. THANKS

Todd
Todd Sgamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: How do you install a timing cover seal?

Have you soaked the seal in oil?
Old 06-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Gary WA

Don't cut,I take a socket and hammer the thing in,leaving the ends up a little,put a little stp on the seal prior to closing it up. I also place a small dab of blue RTV on the ends of the rope seal(little amount). Never have had a leak on my own A's or others that had leaked before. I use a small amount of Indian Shellac on the block and place the gasket to that. You may have to cut the front of the pan gasket around the rope seal carefully. That's how I do it . Others will follow. Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
Todd Sgamba

I actually did soak the seals in oil. Thanks. I'll try the "Hammer and Socket" method. Thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
Brentwood Bob

Try this. Put the new seal in a ziplock, add 1/4 cup motor oil. Zip it shut with no air trapped inside. Take a 1 lb. coffee can. place the zip lock in. fill with boiling water. Soak 1/2 hour. remove the seal. install in the pan. Use a 1 " socket to seat the new seal. Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I keep mine in a jar of oil --, if they are too fat I have squeezed them some, to install I use a wood hammer handle and work the center in, then roll the handle toward the center as I push the ends in, if the ends stick up more than 1/8 I trim them to stick up about 3/32, and trim off some of the stray "hairs" that could get out of place, the pan gasket is set to be 1/2 the way across the rope.
The pulley needs to be smooth where the seal rubs --if it is rusty and pitted the seal will fail soon, I take some fine (400) sandpaper strips and "shoeshine" the seal area

I hate finding silicone worms in engines, I rarely use any, just a little hylomar to hold the gasket in place ---hylomar is really good when you are reusing the gasket, the last time I had the pan down some of the gasket stayed on the block, some on the pan, a bread of hylomar and back it went --it was just going to be temporary (15years)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:09 PM   #7
Todd Sgamba

THANKS to you all for the info. I'll hopefully get the engine in the car this weekend.