Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2016, 06:39 AM   #1
Blownflatheaddeuce

Default Edelbrock Slingshot intake qun

Just curious guys, is this intake a single plane intake?

And if it is, can it be run with one carb blocked off ? Of course it will run, but how efficient will the cyl to cyl distribution be and of course will there boe more vaccum/throttle response with the one carb only?

Also, will there be any issues with the intake "heat" the 97 receives with this intake?

The other carb can be blocked for aesthetics on this fairly stock 21 stud thats in the car till I build a stroker, or at least thats the plan.

Just looking to get the 2x2 look I want from this engine/combo till the new engine gets done.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

BFD
Blownflatheaddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Edelbrock Slingshot intake qun

I can't say that I've ever seen anybody block one off . . . so I'm not speaking from experience. But - I've seen a lot of guys run them on otherwise stock engines and be very happy with them.

I don't think you'd have any problem actually just running the dual carbs. The engine may not need all the fuel, but then again you'll not be mashing the throttle and dumping a ton of gas down it. You may want to jet the carbs a bit smaller (check your plugs), but I think you'll be just fine. There are heat risers in the manifold, but they don't go all the way up to the carbs - but you should be fine as long as you don't plug them off on the block. If you really want/need heat on the carb bases, then you'll have to find an early Eddie Meyer (water heated) or go to something like the Navarro dual-carb universal with the 'dog bone' heater (though is has the regular wide spacing - so no generator in front). Good luck!
Bored&Stroked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Blownflatheaddeuce

Hehe I knew you'd jump in Dale good info for sure.

I have run it as a 2x2 but after dialling it in as best as possible this way I feel it still kills airspeed in the intake and thus throtle response. I feel the Slingshot is more a hi rpm intake and maybe not well suited to a small cube, mild FH?

Perhaps a dual plane intake would be better suited but I really want to run the Slingshot on my pre WWII roadster for obvious reasons so was curious to see if anyone had done this.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:38 AM   #4
scooder

The slingshot is dual plane I believe. This manifold usually has (reportedly) great throttle response, the long runners are great for low rpm torque. See Jwl's book. There are other dyno reports out there, hotrod magazine did a test "intake manifold smackdown" or similar. You may have to shorten the advance for full benefits, again based on JWL's testing with a pm7, the book should have all your answers with the jetting and such.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #5
Blownflatheaddeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooder View Post
The slingshot is dual plane I believe. This manifold usually has (reportedly) great throttle response, the long runners are great for low rpm torque. See Jwl's book. There are other dyno reports out there, hotrod magazine did a test "intake manifold smackdown" or similar. You may have to shorten the advance for full benefits, again based on JWL's testing with a pm7, the book should have all your answers with the jetting and such.
Martin.
Ive seen that smackdown Scooder lol interesting for sure. Always thought the Slingshot was a single plane lol. I'll have a look at JWLs book for a refresher
Old 02-03-2016, 01:32 PM   #6
Cool Kat with Hot Car

I only use "pre-war" tall intakes on my cars. In my experience slingshot runs the best. Next up is Edelbrock regular tall. Then comes the PM-7 Thickstun. The one that is noticeably down in performance is Eddie Meyer. The first three all run fine with 2 carbs, there is no reason to block one off. They are dual plane, I think your car would run worse with a single carb. No scientific data, just my experience.
Cool Kat with Hot Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:11 PM   #7
Chris

I had a 1934 221 with a SU-1A cam and a thickstun PM-7 intake with 81's on it, and it ran great! That cam in the small cube engine made it sound nastier then it was!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:03 AM   #8
Flatout

I run a slingshot on my stock 34 engine. I have a shim under the front carb, and the fuel line to it plugged. The carb linkage is normal, connected to both carbs.
Slingshot intakes seem to be a little slow to warm up on start, but after warm up runs well with good throttle response.
Since either carb flow is directed to the center of the manifold, the cylinders recieve an equal balanced mixture when only one carb is functional.
I'm pleased with how it performs on my engine.
Flatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:21 AM   #9
Talkwrench

Then you can sell it on to me BFD when you don't need it when you get the new engine sorted..?!
Old 02-07-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
Blownflatheaddeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
Then you can sell it on to me BFD when you don't need it when you get the new engine sorted..?!
Thanks for the feedback guys....and no, im keeping the Slingshot lol.