Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
roddyb34

Default Water Pump end play

Just noticed our water pump has end play ,the shaft moves forward a quarter inch or so ,is this normal ,could it come out and damage the radiator?,,it was supposedly a new pump ,
roddyb34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
Tudortomnz

Default Re: Water Pump end play

No it is not normal for that much play & it could damage the radiator. If you just purchased, return it or get some weld put on shaft where it fits into head. Check everything else ; is it a new 'leakless'? I wouldnt bother with one, just rebuild original style which are perfectly adequate. Part of the Model A experience is adjusting the packing nut & winding on more packing from time to time.
BTW, visited Geelong last year & loved it, especially Ford Discovery Centre. I would live there after what has happened here in Canterbury [ earthquakes= a lot of damage.]
Tom
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a collar sold by the vendors that will keep the shaft from moving as well.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
roddyb34

Thanks ,we are about to pull the engine to do the bottom end so we will check then ,it has the gland nut ,the previous owner installed it so i dont know where it came from ,,
Old 07-02-2011, 09:01 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

More than about 1/16" of end play can let the thrust washer drop out of place and chew up the shaft until the impellor snaps off. Last year I saw a radiator cut up by a water pump with about 1/2" of end play.

To control end play, I prefer the lock collar that Mike shows above. I also prefer the square brass thrust washer.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 07-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Welding the end of the shaft makes a "custom" waterpump, I drilled the head and used a stainless bolt to fix the wear. The collar pictured in an above post is a quick fix, with as much movement as you have the thrust washer inside is gone or out of place by now.

After a few years of use the gland nut type for me has become leak less and less,
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
Jerry Parr WI

The end play is usually caused by wear in the head. A new pump does not correct that. The fan actually travels further from the radiator not closer so the radiator is not in immediate danger. A number of solutions exist like adding weld to the end of the shaft. I prefer the collar that Mike shows, the objective being to keep the thrust washer Tom mentioned in place.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #8
roddyb34

Thanks for the replys and the detailed pics ,we are going to pull the engine this week for the rebuild ,without the fordbarn info and help i have had so far working on this car i wouldnt have had the confidence to do what i have done ,thankyou guys so much ,,