Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #1
39portlander

Default 39 P/U horn relay...

Posting these for Greg and others, pre-tear down of my horn and were my relay was located. Per usual, this could be right, might be wrong. Scott

Last edited by 39portlander; 04-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 39 P/U horn relay...

I am fairly certain a relay was not utilized in 39 pickups. Also, nearly certain that's an incorrect horn...
Yes? No?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I can't find a 39 commercial wiring diagram, but both the 39 std and deluxe car diagrams show a relay with dual trumpet style horns.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #4
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I am fairly certain a relay was not utilized in 39 pickups. Also, nearly certain that's an incorrect horn...
Yes? No?
For all we know Kube, someone used a harness from a car and spliced it into the p/u I now have. I got more faith in your opinion about this than what was there when I tore it apart, thanks.

Concerning the horn I'm not sure if it is original, but she works great. Knowing what may or may not be correct is important as my 39 p/u did come out of an old apple orchard and who knows what they used to keep it running.

I will say that horn did not look out of place as the overall under hood conditions matched and were consistent in color fade and oxidation/corrosion pigments.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #5
sunshine

My 39 pkup is all original and the single horn is located down between the lower radiator hoses above the splash pan , which you dont seem to show in your picture.I also does not use a relay. SUNS
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
My 39 pkup is all original and the single horn is located down between the lower radiator hoses above the splash pan , which you dont seem to show in your picture.I also does not use a relay. SUNS
Thanks for the input, the commercial are often different from the passenger car. They went to a relay in 38 on the passenger cars but must have keep the direct wiring on the commercials.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:45 AM   #7
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
And for reference and just because we love pictures here on the Ford Barn, send us your horn "example" as it is "all original"

Several years ago I had a conversation with Dick Spadaro and the big thing that stuck with me was he made a point about the trucks getting all the leftover parts. 38/39's are great examples, headlight buckets were leftovers from the cars and who know's what else.

*1939 assembly line worker: "hey were all done with production for the sedan's what do I do with the rest of the parts and horn relay's ?"
Foreman: "throw them on the pallet and will use them up on the trucks"
Assembly line worker: (thinking to himself), ahh this is gonna be fun. 70 years from now some poor sucker is gonna think he's got an all original parts correct matching truck
Old 01-04-2016, 05:19 AM   #8
Ray Balukas

Good one Scott! Henry wasted nothing. Use it!
Ray Balukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
And for reference and just because we love pictures here on the Ford Barn, send us your horn "example" as it is "all original"

Several years ago I had a conversation with Dick Spadaro and the big thing that stuck with me was he made a point about the trucks getting all the leftover parts. 38/39's are great examples, headlight buckets were leftovers from the cars and who know's what else.

*1939 assembly line worker: "hey were all done with production for the sedan's what do I do with the rest of the parts and horn relay's ?"
Foreman: "throw them on the pallet and will use them up on the trucks"
Assembly line worker: (thinking to himself), ahh this is gonna be fun. 70 years from now some poor sucker is gonna think he's got an all original parts correct matching truck
Your argument that Ford used the previous years parts up on the next years models has some validity. Some.
I hear this argument often on the concourse. It sounds to me as if authenticity is not a high priority to you. If I am correct in that assumption, then go with what you have and "who cares?".
If you truly in fact do care about authenticity, then what you currently have is incorrect.
On the concourse, the burden remains upon the owner to offer proof that "last years parts" were installed on "this years model". That is something that can be very rarely proven and even less often achieved.

Yes, we know Ford used some parts from the previous years models on the current models. However, this was certainly more of an exception than a rule when one extrapolates the number of "new" parts designed for the new model.
Many "over stock" parts simply went to service parts inventory. Plus, like today, parts were not purposely overly produced when not required.

Bottom line? If authenticity does not matter to you, then do what makes you happy. Of it does, do more research and find proof (not opinion) of what truly was installed upon your vehicle.
The proof is "ut there" for those so inclined to pursue it.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39portlander View Post
Posting these for Greg and others, pre-tear down of my horn and were my relay was located. Per usual, this could be right, might be wrong. Scott
As my original thread did say "could be right, might be wrong". A fellow inquires about a part, I recall removing one upon dis-assembly and just happen to post it for him.

I will never assume anything is correct on my P/U, the 59AB was a dead giveaway when I bought it but...

I am pretty close to a 39 pickup with a sweet little Flathead (thanks Walt)and now twice as smart from tear'n it apart and put'n it back together.

I do care what may or may not be correct that is what's great about this site, but for now a truck with a run'n Flathead is what matters most. It didn't have a horn relay, great now we know and thank you Ford Barn again.
Old 01-05-2016, 06:05 PM   #11
SofaKing

Thanks Scott. My horn came with a relay and a bookshelf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horn.jpg (72.9 KB, 52 views)
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:33 PM   #12
callbald

my 39 pickup does not have a relay for the horn that is also located down between the lower radiator hoses on a frame bracket. I just finished rebuilding it. Attached is also a wiring diagram created by ClassicCarWiring,com is somewhat generic for the truck. it does show a relay in dashes because it could be on some end of model builds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0068.JPG (107.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0069.JPG (131.5 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by callbald; 02-15-2016 at 07:06 PM.
callbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #13
alanwoodieman

that is a car horn on your truck, looks like a 1940 which uses a relay, callbald's horn looks like the correct truck horn which has the relay built into it. I have seen car horns, even a complete pair used in trucks a lot
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #14
G.M.

My 39 P/U was a 2 owner low mileage truck when I bought it. It has a horn
relay mounted on frame fairly near back the horn. The bracket is "L" shaped
and the bottom of the "L" sits on the top of the frame and has a small tab of
metal about 1/4" wide and 5/16" long bent down. The bottom of the "L" also
has a hole for I believe a 5/16" bolt. There are 2 holes in the frame, the bolt
hole in the "L" lines up with one hole and the bent down tab go's into the
other hole to keep the bracket from rotating. G.M.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Tinker

Here is some pictures and a thread with some discussion on the horn and a few other 38/39 truck stuff.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156611

Last edited by Tinker; 02-16-2016 at 09:25 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote