Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
GThorpe

Default Engine Identification '34 Ford

Hello All- I have a '34 5-Window Model B. The car is in what seems to be original condition. I am wondering how I can tell if the engine is original to the car. It is a 4-cyl engine. The VIN's all match on the rest of the car, but I cannot find anything on the engine to check it. To my understanding it is more rare to have a car with the 4-cyl engine, which makes me wonder if this is the original motor, or if it has been replaced over the course of its life. Thanks in advance!
-Greg
GThorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: Engine Identification '34 Ford

I don't have the 33/34 book in front of me BUT "IF" memory serves I think the number on the fours are on the right rear of the bell housing area near where it bolts to the block OR on the right rear corner of the block??? ALSO your frame number should start differently than a V8 I believe not sure if the "AB" followed after 32. What is the starting 4 or 5 numbers??? Others more knowledgeable I'm sure will correct ME!! And, yes, the 34's with 4 cyl engines are very limited in production numbers, even more so than 1933!!!

PICTURES TOO, We love pictures!!!! Post some pictures of that "4 banger" Coupe!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 09-22-2021 at 09:08 AM.
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:39 AM   #3
GThorpe

Okay got it! I will have to check those places tonight when I get home from work. The VIN is B526****... I will attach some photos of it as well in another post!
Old 09-22-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
DavidG

Everything that distinguishes a '33-'34 four from a '32 four is a bolt-on part. The so-called short block (cylinder block, crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, connecting rods, etc.) is the same for all three model years' engines except for the crankshaft as only late '32 fours have a counterbalanced crankshaft.

In other words, if the engine in your '34 has a counterbalanced crankshaft, there is no way of knowing if it is the engine the car was built with or a rebuilt engine. (Obviously if it does not have a counterbalanced crankshaft, the engine is not original to the car.)

Your engine number (VIN) of B526XXXX) is in the ball park, but you won't find it on the engine block but rather on top of the flywheel housing which is a bolt-on component and may or may not be attached to the original engine block.

You're correct, '34 fours are rare as Ford stopped offering them in its U.S. cars, commercial vehicles, and trucks in April, 1934 as the demand for them keep declining throughout the '33 model year and into the '34 model year. I once had a four-cylinder '34 roadster and presently have a '33 four-banger coupe.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-22-2021 at 09:54 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #5
GThorpe

Last edited by GThorpe; 09-22-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: link did not include photo
Old 09-22-2021, 09:54 AM   #6
GThorpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
I don't have the 33/34 book in front of me BUT "IF" memory serves I think the number on the fours are on the right rear of the bell housing area near where it bolts to the block OR on the right rear corner of the block??? ALSO your frame number should start differently than a V8 I believe not sure if the "AB" followed after 32. What is the starting 4 or 5 numbers??? Others more knowledgeable I'm sure will correct ME!! And, yes, the 34's with 4 cyl engines are very limited in production numbers, even more so than 1933!!!

PICTURES TOO, We love pictures!!!! Post some pictures of that "4 banger" Coupe!!!
What is the easiest way to post a photo as I have it downloaded onto my computer and it's looking for the URL link... Thanks!
Old 09-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #7
GThorpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Everything that distinguishes a '33-'34 four from a '32 four is a bolt-on part. The so-called short block (cylinder block, crankshaft, camshaft, pistons, connecting rods, etc.) is the same for all three model years' engines except for the crankshaft as only late '32 fours have a counterbalanced crankshaft.

In other words, if the engine in your '34 has a counterbalanced crankshaft, there is no way of knowing if it is the engine the car was built with or a rebuilt engine. (Obviously if it does not have a counterbalanced crankshaft, the engine is not original to the car.)

Your engine number (VIN) of B526XXXX) is in the ball park, but you won't find it on the engine block but rather on top of the flywheel housing which is a bolt-on component and may or may not be attached to the original engine block.

You're correct, '34 fours are rare as Ford stopped offering them in its U.S. cars, commercial vehicles, and trucks in April, 1934 as the demand for them keep declining throughout the '33 model year and into the '34 model year. I once had a four-cylinder '34 roadster and presently have a '33 four-banger coupe.
Thank you for all this! I will be sure to check on this when I get home!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GThorpe View Post
What is the easiest way to post a photo as I have it downloaded onto my computer and it's looking for the URL link... Thanks!
IF you look at the "dash board" of the box you posted in, there is a black paper clip in the top center. Click on the black paper clip and you will have a box with about 6 lines where you can upload pictures from your computer. Be mindful that you cannot load "large" megabite pictures SO you need to make sure the file size is below Like 1G.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
GThorpe

Quote:
IF you look at the "dash board" of the box you posted in, there is a black paper clip in the top center. Click on the black paper clip and you will have a box with about 6 lines where you can upload pictures from your computer. Be mindful that you cannot load "large" megabite pictures SO you need to make sure the file size is below Like 1G.
Got it!! Thanks for the help! IMG_0021.jpg
Old 09-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
rockfla

Wow, that's one sweet looking ride!!!! Thanks for sharing. THE "OTHER" contributing factor that is in NO books OR doesn't get mentioned IS.......How many people acquired a car like yours and "Converted" it to a V8. SO "HOPEFULLY" yours doesn't ever meet that fate!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #11
Mike34

x2 Keep it as is!
Mike34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:09 PM   #12
GThorpe

Quote:
Wow, that's one sweet looking ride!!!! Thanks for sharing. THE "OTHER" contributing factor that is in NO books OR doesn't get mentioned IS.......How many people acquired a car like yours and "Converted" it to a V8. SO "HOPEFULLY" yours doesn't ever meet that fate!
No plans on changing it at all! Love it the way it is, and just got it running perfectly. IMG_0761.jpg
Old 09-22-2021, 12:13 PM   #13
petehoovie

Quote:
No plans on changing it at all! Love it the way it is, and just got it running perfectly. Attachment 473591

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:15 PM   #14
rockfla

Quote:
No plans on changing it at all! Love it the way it is, and just got it running perfectly. Attachment 473591
In the vein of "authenticity" and "as Henry built it" Its hard to tell from your second photo BUT it looks as IF you hub caps are "V8" which would be incorrect (IF you are looking for "correctness"). IF they are......They "should" have the script "Ford" oval caps!!!!

AND....Is it me OR it looks as if you are missing a (1) horn???? Can't see from the shadows
Old 09-22-2021, 12:20 PM   #15
GThorpe

Quote:
In the vein of "authenticity" and "as Henry built it" Its hard to tell from your second photo BUT it looks as IF you hub caps are "V8" which would be incorrect (IF you are looking for "correctness"). IF they are......They "should" have the script "Ford" oval caps!!!!

AND....Is it me OR it looks as if you are missing a horn???? Can't see from the shadows
It does in-fact have V8 caps. That is the way I got it. Also when I got the car it did have twin horns on the front, and sealed beam headlights. The originals were in the trunk so I swapped them back for the originals, losing the horns in the process. Under the hood there is a horn though...
Old 09-22-2021, 12:21 PM   #16
petehoovie

Correct 1934 Ford Hubcap >

Looks as though GThorpe has '32 Hubcaps on his car >

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 09-22-2021 at 12:31 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 12:32 PM   #17
GThorpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Correct 1934 Ford Hubcap >

Looks as though GThorpe has '32 Hubcaps on his car >
You're correct, I just checked a few photos I have on my phone.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:39 PM   #18
rockfla

NO V8 Caps, I am scrambling to find a better picture BUT here is a 34 Roadster with a 4 cyl that has the "Ford" oval hub caps, one feature line near the outer edge of the cap, Ford Oval in the center, close to the upper of the two caps posted by petehoovie BUT with the Script Ford Oval instead!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34FrenchRoadster4cyl.jpg (67.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #19
GThorpe

Quote:
NO V8 Caps, I am scrambling to find a better picture BUT here is a 34 Roadster with a 4 cyl that has the "Ford" oval hub caps, one feature line near the outer edge of the cap, Ford Oval in the center, close to the upper of the two caps posted by petehoovie BUT with the Script Ford Oval instead!!!!
Looks like I might need to get a set to swap out the V8 ones... This car sat in a garage for years only being driven once, maybe twice a year. I tried to buy it multiple times but the stubborn old timer never wanted to let it go. When he passed in 2016 I was able to get it from the son, who called me expressing it was left to him and he did not want it. I've had it since then and I even drive it to work pretty often (whenever the weather cooperates). Can't tell you how many people have followed me and asked if it was for sale. haha!
Old 09-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #20
rockfla

Here you go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (36.7 KB, 118 views)