Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
1930-Pickup

Default Original Motor Mounts R&R...Postmortem Photos (Not For The Squeamish)

These motor mounts are freshly removed from my late 1930 CCPU. I have every reason to believe that these are the original factory-installed motor mounts. I've been driving on them for the past two years or so.

I thought I would share with you a few photos since the mounts and I have been so unpleasantly intimate with each other for the past several days. The Left mount has at least one large crack, and the Right mount has at least two large cracks. I say 'at least' because I'm not going to clean them because, as hateful as it sounds, they are dead to me. Dead I say.

Despite literally breaking the laws of physics (no two objects can occupy the same space at the same time), a refurbished pair of steel mounts and new rubber pads are now in the truck. Thanks to Bert's for some nice rubber pads. Thanks a lot Henry for frames that like to bow inward a bit.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg RIGHT 1.jpg (80.3 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg RIGHT 2.jpg (63.6 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg RIGHT 3 cracked.jpg (45.1 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg RIGHT 4 cracked.jpg (38.7 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg LEFT 1.jpg (87.0 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg LEFT 2.jpg (52.9 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg LEFT 3 cracked.jpg (63.1 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg LEFT 4.jpg (83.5 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by 1930-Pickup; 01-20-2018 at 04:30 PM.
1930-Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:31 AM   #2
Dollar Bill

Default Re: Original Motor Mounts R&R...Postmortem Photos (Not For The Squeamish)

You definitely got your moneys worth out of those :-)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
john charlton

Default Re: Original Motor Mounts R&R...Postmortem Photos (Not For The Squeamish)

I have a few just like this, been there since new . In some cases the frame has rust damage in way of the motor mount rubber pad needing local repair .

John in freezing Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #4
quickchange

Ours from Canada are cast solid ones never give a problem , no splits in them . Have a heap of them , nice & hot here ,
quickchange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
Ours from Canada are cast solid ones never give a problem , no splits in them . Have a heap of them , nice & hot here ,
Was that type of mount mandated by the government? Maybe they thought the American mounts would...crack maybe?

Can you post a photo?
Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
burner31

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just finished pulling in float-a-motors today.
Drivers side was not too bad, passenger side was bent, cracked, misshapen, welded, and welded badly.
Engine had a lean to the right, now she sit real nice, even the GAV turn smoothly, used to be hard to turn due to the engine sagging on the right.
Could not find new stock mounts.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
henry's 31

Amazing damage, but they lasted many years. As we can see even the best metal gets fatigued eventually. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:13 PM   #8
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Just finished pulling in float-a-motors today.
Drivers side was not too bad, passenger side was bent, cracked, misshapen, welded, and welded badly.
Engine had a lean to the right, now she sit real nice, even the GAV turn smoothly, used to be hard to turn due to the engine sagging on the right.
Could not find new stock mounts.
I don't think anyone is making stock mounts right now. From what I can tell, nearly all stock mounts are cracked to some degree, but to their credit, the cracks do not appear to cause catastrophic failures of the mounts.

For the stock mounts that I put in my truck, I bough a decent set with a couple of cracks and then had them welded.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #9
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry's 31 View Post
Amazing damage, but they lasted many years. As we can see even the best metal gets fatigued eventually. Thanks for sharing!
Those dang mounts!
Every 88 years you have to replace them
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 PM   #10
SteveB31

I have a Canadian Model A as well. The Canadian rear motor mounts were much better made. Makes me wonder why they were made so different then USA made ones
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:00 AM   #11
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-Pickup View Post
I don't think anyone is making stock mounts right now. From what I can tell, nearly all stock mounts are cracked to some degree, but to their credit, the cracks do not appear to cause catastrophic failures of the mounts.

For the stock mounts that I put in my truck, I bough a decent set with a couple of cracks and then had them welded.
yea its hard to find non cracked ones that will prolly eventually crack. Id just find some cleanish ones (non major rust pits) have em blasted and welded then grind em smooth and paint - noones ever going to see them.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:54 AM   #12
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Was that type of mount mandated by the government? Maybe they thought the American mounts would...crack maybe?

Can you post a photo?
Here is what the Canadian cast type look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 066.JPG (70.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 067.JPG (70.7 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
pooch

Ya gotta remember that the rear engine mounts take. all the thrust of the car.

They push the car forward every time you stomp on the pedal and are dragged backwards every time you brake.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
kenparker

Pulled my llast pair of uncracked mounts off the shelf yesterday and got them all blasted clean, ready for black paint sometimes today. pieces and parts for my next project - Motor mounts, spring shackles, u bolts, spring perches, backing plates, brake cross rod. Stayed with my arms in the blaster until my back hurt. ken
kenparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #15
BillCNC

I to just replaced my stock mounts with Float's. The stock ones are perfect with no cracking so I'll keep them for a while while I see how the Float's go.

What are a pair of stock motor mounts with no cracks worth these day's?

Regards
Bill
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #16
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
What are a pair of stock motor mounts with no cracks worth these day's?
I'll trade the very interesting set shown in post #1 for your boring set
Old 01-21-2018, 01:32 PM   #17
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
Ya gotta remember that the rear engine mounts take. all the thrust of the car.

They push the car forward every time you stomp on the pedal and are dragged backwards every time you brake.
There is another thread right now talking about cracked bell housings. With all the bell housing cracks, motor mount cracks, mount-to-frame bolt wear, and rubber disintegration, how is it that there haven't been any catastrophic failures? Seriously, anyone ever hear of one?
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
Railcarmover
BANNED

Check your flywheel housing..
I bet you ain't done with the excitement yet...
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:32 PM   #19
1930-Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
Check your flywheel housing..
I bet you ain't done with the excitement yet...
To check it I would have to take an awful lot apart. Then if I found cracks, and I probably would, it would not mean the housing was anywhere near a catastrophic failure. So at this point I choose to keep everything together, running, and enjoyable.

An inspection of the housing is definitely warranted, no doubt. But it will be part of a larger job like an engine rebuild.

The motor mounts had to be replaced...the violent shaking was speaking to me and I had no choice but to obey. So far the bell housing is not speaking, and my head is very comfortable in this sandy hole
Old 01-21-2018, 06:06 PM   #20
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
To check it I would have to take an awful lot apart. Then if I found cracks, and I probably would, it would not mean the housing was anywhere near a catastrophic failure. So at this point I choose to keep everything together, running, and enjoyable.

An inspection of the housing is definitely warranted, no doubt. But it will be part of a larger job like an engine rebuild.

The motor mounts had to be replaced...the violent shaking was speaking to me and I had no choice but to obey. So far the bell housing is not speaking, and my head is very comfortable in this sandy hole
the first rule of holes...quit digging!!!!
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote