Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
wrndln

Default Trouble installing headlight cork gasket

I am trying to assemble my 1928 single bulb headlights after they were replated and I install all the hardware on the bucket and rim. I don't see how the cork gasket is installed as there is no channel like my two bulb reflectors have for the cork gasket to fit in. The only way I can see is to glue it to the reflector, but I don't think Ford originally did it that way. If anyone could explain how the cork is installed I would greatly appreciate it.
Rusty Nelson

wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Trouble installing headlight cork gasket

Rather than a continous bead of glue, I usually put a dab of clear silicone sealant at about the 1/4 points on the metal headlight side, install the gasket, then install the lens.

Later if gasket has to be removed, this clear sealant when cured can be rubbed right off.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-02-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

I was wondering if silicone or some of the glues would have an adverse effect on the plating?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #4
luckyal

I use peel and strip or draft stop caulking available at any building supply store. It has worked great for me.
Al
luckyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
TinCup

I have read that the fumes from the adhesive will tarnish the silver over time. I would think that a small amount to hold the gasket in place would cause minimal tarnishing.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

Perhaps if you cut the cork to a length slightly shorter than the circumference and glue the ends together it will set in place ----if it still won't stay I would get some of the double sided "tape" that body shops use to stick glude on emblems back after painting (it is almost invisible, very thin)
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
ctlikon0712

I have also read warnings as to the adverse effects of some adhesives fumes on the silver. I would contact the mfg. of the glue or ask the platter what they recommend.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I to would like to know just how Ford put the cork gaskets on the 1928 reflectors...anyone?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #9
1crosscut

I used some contact cement but not on the reflectors I attached the cork to the glass. Worked really well for me.
Dave
Old 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Doug Clayton

Steve -
In 1928 the cork gasket was cut and formed into a ring of the correct size with a staple holding the two ends together. Still not as ideal as the 1929 and later style!
Doug Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Clayton View Post
Steve -
In 1928 the cork gasket was cut and formed into a ring of the correct size with a staple holding the two ends together. Still not as ideal as the 1929 and later style!
Thank you Doug for your answer.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #12
Donvito

I installed a 6 volt halogen bulb kit with new reflectors on my car. I used 3M yellow trim and weatherstrip adhesive. I put a thin bead of adhesive all the way around inside the groove of the reflectors. It held the cork on very well. I trimmed the cork so it would meet and come together for a good seal. Put the seam of the cork at the lower end of the reflector. My reflectors are chrome. I don't think glue fumes are an issue with mine.
Donvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #13
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW, just about (4) years ago I removed & polishing both original Model A silver plated reflectors with a Hanes cotton undershirt & regular Wright's silverware polish from Wal-Mart. The silver plating was in great shape as well as the former gaskets. Former car collector owner said he had never polished them during the past 20 years while this car was stored in his heated garage.

I had used small dabs of ultraviolet resistant exterior rated type G.E. Clear Silicone Sealant, (caulking), meeting Federal Specifications TT-S-00230C & ASTM C920 at 1/4 points between the gasket & the painted steel headlight rim. Also used same sealant (4) years ago to glue 30 degree cut ends of new gaskets together. Have witnessed favorable results of tons of this exterior type G.E. sealant product since it was first introduced by G.E. over 40 years ago.

The other day, I bought new headlight sockets, removed the glass headlight lenses, & easily removed the (4) year old gaskets. The small dabs of this non-hardening rubbery G.E. sealant was easily removed from the gaskets, the glass, & the painted steel headlight rims by lightly rubbing it off like dried rubber cement.

After (4) years or so, the silver finish looked like I had just polished it yesterday.

A few years back, Mr. Marco had posted a message either on this Forum or the other one that one could obtain great success keeping silver plated reflectors very shiny "if" & only "if" the headlight gaskets were carefully & properly provided to seal the silver plated reflectors from being exposed to the atmosphere -- absolutely no doubt he definitely knew what he was talking about.

This sealant cures & sets in about 30 minutes if I remember correctly. Appears this partucular sealant had no adverse effect on the silver plating after (4) years.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-02-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
ctlikon0712

That is great to know H.L. Chauvin. Did you take any precautions to better seal the back end of the reflector/socket area, or perhaps where the harness comes into the bucket?
Old 03-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Craig,

Very observant question to presume that the back of the headlights were well sealed to protect the reflectors from being exposed to the atmosphere-- yes the backs were sealed; but incorrectly sealed.

Both metal socket holders, (A13118A/B) were incorrectly soldered to the stainless steel headlight shell, thus forming an incorrect tight seal. LOL.

Also both non-metallic headlight wire plugs were missing, the (2) existing wiring harness wires were incorrectly hard wired to the (2) existing headlight sockets, & these (2) existing wires were very tightly wrapped with old cloth tape & wedged into the soldered socket holders, thus forming a very tight rear seal. LOL.

With all new replacement parts arriving for both single bulb headlight/reflector headlights, (because of having original cowl lights), only (2) new harness wires are required to penetrate the new (3) holed non-metallic plug.

Thinking of soldering a new ground wire to each new bulb socket & allowing the new ground wire to penetrate the new un-used third hole in the new non-metallic plug, (A-14584), & next, assembling & sealing the new wire penetrations with same G.E. silicone sealant mentioned above.

Also to insure a good connection, will apply "Kopr-Seal" paste to the metal wire joints between the new wiring harness wire tips & the new metal wire tips in the part of the new headlight socket that penetrates the new headlight socket holders.

Also, after receiving new headlight sockets & new harness, I am waiting for other headlight parts, (one of which is on back order), prior to continuing with the final headlight assembly.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 03-02-2013 at 11:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #16
Ca. Kid

Rusty, not trying to hijack the thread, but where did you get the resilvering, replating done?
Ca. Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
ctlikon0712

Thanks for the indepth explanation. That does help and I appreciate it very much.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
wrndln

Ca. kid,
I had them resilvered by Craig Riker in Ohio - phone number 419 290 4442. He applies some wax on them to help reduce tarnishing. Both sets turned out very well.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I was wondering if silicone or some of the glues would have an adverse effect on the plating?
Absolutley on silver plate!