Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #1
Phil Gillespie

Default 59a flathead New Build Crab Distributor.

So finally got bits back from machinist and engine is all together on test stand for run check and adjustment prior refitting, Timing checks etc.
Have fitted a timing pointer checked prior fitting heads.
Set up is now 12 volts.

1: With this crab type 21a distributor you have the vaccum line connected for verifying timing at pointer?

2: Looking at distributor from front Scale moves down to advance?
Up to retard?

Presently to get pointer set at pulley timing mark scale needs to be full clockwise on scale. This is full advance? or full retard?

My brain a bit fuzzy as at start up no spark, changed coils still the same then noted my remotely mounted condenser was earthing through plug tubes.
Repositioned and it fired up right away.

Appreciate all assistance to clarify my advance retard/ direction of side scale.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
35fordtn

Default Re: 59a flathead New Build Crab Distributor.

moving the timing adjuster down advances the timing on 1942-48's.

The vacuum line should be disconnected when setting the initial timing. Personally I do not utilize the vacuum brake.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:11 PM   #3
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
moving the timing adjuster down advances the timing on 1942-48's.

The vacuum line should be disconnected when setting the initial timing. Personally I do not utilize the vacuum brake.
Michael thanks very much for you info. Thought vaccum line should be disconnected. Will now continue with the checking and tomorrow time to refit the engine to the 46 Merc.
Phil NZ
Old 09-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #4
35fordtn

If it's not a recent proper rebuilt distributor, it can be worth the effort to remove the vacuum brake adjuster and with a screwdriver push down on the piston with the engine at idle and see if the timing retards any. These Early Ford distributors are bad about the weights sticking in a slight advance position at very low RPM's. If when you do that, the timing retards then you'll know they are sticking.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #5
Phil Gillespie

Quote:
If it's not a recent proper rebuilt distributor, it can be worth the effort to remove the vacuum brake adjuster and with a screwdriver push down on the piston with the engine at idle and see if the timing retards any. These Early Ford distributors are bad about the weights sticking in a slight advance position at very low RPM's. If when you do that, the timing retards then you'll know they are sticking.
Its a recent proper rebuild purchased from your goodself. Not many miles on it
Should be good.But will try this as easier with it on the stand. Distributor has been sitting 4 to 5 months.
Just thought it a little odd that had to have the advance at the 6 degree to align with timing mark. Vaccum brake line was disconnected at the time.
Phil NZ.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #6
35fordtn

Phil,
The common thought process among many is that the timing marker set in the middle will be the correct timing location for all. This is far from the truth, as each one is a little different. I set them all at 2 degrees BTDC when they leave here... NOW.. I have had a couple that the Postal system played football with when handling them and kicked the around so much that the dwell changed on the LH points and overall thus affecting the timing. If you have any issues or questions feel free to email me direct to [email protected]
Old 09-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
Phil Gillespie

[QUOTE=35fordtn;1931668]Phil,
The common thought process among many is that the timing marker set in the middle will be the correct timing location for all. This is far from the truth, as each one is a little different. I set them all at 2 degrees BTDC when they leave here... NOW.. I have had a couple that the Postal system played football with when handling them and kicked the around so much that the dwell changed on the LH points and overall thus affecting the timing. If you have any issues or questions feel free to email me direct to [email protected][/

Thanks again for your comments. I am happy with the distributor set up as is.
Just did another couple of checks on stand prior to fitting engine which I am now in process of. Had to adjust fuel,pump push rod as it was delivering 10 + psi. Now at 2.5 to 3 psi. distributor all in around 2300.
12v conversion also happening.
Phil NZ
Old 09-14-2020, 11:16 PM   #8
35fordtn

[QUOTE=Phil Gillespie;1931704]
Quote:
Phil,
The common thought process among many is that the timing marker set in the middle will be the correct timing location for all. This is far from the truth, as each one is a little different. I set them all at 2 degrees BTDC when they leave here... NOW.. I have had a couple that the Postal system played football with when handling them and kicked the around so much that the dwell changed on the LH points and overall thus affecting the timing. If you have any issues or questions feel free to email me direct to [email protected][/

Thanks again for your comments. I am happy with the distributor set up as is.
Just did another couple of checks on stand prior to fitting engine which I am now in process of. Had to adjust fuel,pump push rod as it was delivering 10 + psi. Now at 2.5 to 3 psi. distributor all in around 2300.
12v conversion also happening.
Phil NZ
Test stands make life so much easier dont they?
Old 09-15-2020, 12:06 AM   #9
Phil Gillespie

[QUOTE=35fordtn;1931744]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gillespie View Post

Test stands make life so much easier dont they?
Sure do. Having checked all on the stand, very easy access rather than leaning over guards/fenders. As we call them down under. Have one ofvthose lifter levellers and I can put engine in, and line it up on gearbox quite easy by myself.
Phil NZ