Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
PKW181

Default Trans question

Hi All,
Found out my clutch is about shot, but have a question about a problem with the Trans.
This is on a stock 47 Ford with a flathead v/8 3 on the tree. When the engine is not running it will shift into all the gears no problem. When you start the engine you can't shift into 2nd. 1st and3rd will engage. Maybe the Syncro's causing this? All the linkage is in good shape.

Thank you in advance for any advice.
PKW181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:34 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Trans question

clutch not releasing would be my guess, then the linkage rubber bushings are gone and the shifter is out of alighnment
alanwoodieman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:53 PM   #3
cas3

is this a car that has seen recent use so the clutch disk is not stuck to the flywheel? do you have the correct 1-1 1/2" free play at the pedal?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:26 PM   #4
rotorwrench

Are you referring to while the vehicle is running but not in forward motion or it just won't go into 2nd under any circumstance while running?

The second gear is shifted into engagement though the synchronizer which is a pretty easy action normally. If it will shift with the engine off but not so with it running then I would suspect the clutch or its adjustment first.

I say this with a word of caution due to where the vehicle may be setting near obstacles or other vehicles. If the car is clear of obstacles, will the engine turn over while in gear with the clutch disengaged? If it tries to move then the clutch is not fully disengaged.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-13-2020 at 06:34 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #5
PKW181

Thank you everyone for the help.
The clutch is bad for sure and needs replacing, hope this will cure the Trans. problem as well.
Want to run the current (very tired) engine until I can find a later flathead 49-53 engine.
What's the best way to replace the clutch, pull the rear-end or pull the engine?
Old 08-15-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
drolston

Maybe easier by a little bit to roll back the rear end. Disconnect shock links, panhard bar, emergency brake cable, speedometer turtle. You can leave the brake hoses connected, but do not put any stress on them. Unfasten the U-bolts that hold the rear spring to the frame. Push the U-bolts up and out of the way as far as possible. Then jack up the rear of the car far enough for the spring to just clear the U-bolts. Support the rear frame on jack stands (preferably not from Harbor Freight). Unbolt the torque tube bell from the rear of the transmission and roll the rear end back to free the universal joint.

Disconnect the clutch link and shift rods from the transmission. With a block of wood under the oil pan, jack up the rear of the engine as far as you can without jamming the bellhousing into the firewall. You should be able to unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing and slide it back far enough to free the pilot shaft from the clutch disk. Do not let the transmission hang down on the pilot shaft. On a '47 if you may have to remove the rear transmission mount to get enough clearance to slide back the transmission. Best to have two strong people to slide it back, up, and out. It weighs about 80 lb. It can be done with the front seat in place, but easier if it is removed.

Compare this to removing the hood, radiator, exhaust and a bunch of other stuff to hoist the engine/transmission out. If you go that way, you will need an engine hoist leveler because you will need to vary the angle of the engine/transmission as it comes out.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
PKW181

Was told that it may be the gear shift lever pin causing the 2nd gear problem.
Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #8
KiWinUS

Pull engine. Way easier in your year model. Why would you want to put a later model engine in your 47. Your original engine would be my choice by far. Just rebuild your original engine you will be very happy with it.
Cheers & enjoy.
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #9
F-ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiWinUS View Post
Pull engine. Way easier in your year model. Why would you want to put a later model engine in your 47. Your original engine would be my choice by far. Just rebuild your original engine you will be very happy with it.
Cheers & enjoy.
Tony
I agree. The later flatheads are good engines stock but you run into lots of problems trying to do any performance enhancements.
F-ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
PKW181

The fellow that told me that was talking about the pin & spring on the steering column shifter,however I am not familiar with that one.

I did run a compression check on the engine and it runs 90-100 on every cylinder. Also the engine Sounds great, but will need new water pumps and has a drip at the rear main. I had a 41 Ford Convert. when I was a kid, had the stock engine in it. Not the fastest thing on wheels but I drove all over with it and it never let me down , it did have the wrist pin rattle in it when I wound it up in 2nd gear. I want to keep the stock engine in the 47.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #11
alanwoodieman

if it did not drip out the rear main, I would be worried the engine is out of oil!
alanwoodieman is online now   Reply With Quote