Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Got a like new Lincoln TIG welder soft start with a high freq for aluminum. Its worth about 1K... Hmmm
That Marlin was a 1985 model and now all the new ones have cross bolt safety's. The DNR here much prefers those for the stoopid amatuers.Plus, its after deer season... maybe I shoulda sold some fishing stuff (?)!
I pour the waste stuff along the fence line to control the weeds. The mower gets up to it without a weed wacker... less carbon footprint ya know? ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #42
[email protected]

I wish I would have listed my ice fishing equipment a couple months ago. I don't figure I'll ever be using it again and there's a lot of really good stuff there but there's a chance i'll get on top of it next fall. This spring i'm putting my boat up and all the neat stuff that goes with it. I've decided I'm going all model t from now on. i might have to take a beating on some of it but it'll be ok. I really like these cars much more than I would have ever guessed. I used to think the flathead was the only way to go. But that's all changed. There's something about seeing the world at a slower pace that appeals to me.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #43
yachtsmanbill

SHOOT! I had to spend another lousy day making stuff. I would guess Speedway motors sell some thing that may fit after some modifitificating, probably in stainless or chrome and only $989.00 But wait! Thats not all... we'll include a 1/16 oz. tube of locktite if you call in the next 10 minutes; operators standing by...
Mounted the extra long T bones to the axle perchs and figgered out where the frame brackets are gonna go. Gotta fit the bones tomorrow, but for now....
Had some plate and a portaband saw clamped in the vise. Pat comes out and holds the button (not a lockable switch) and I cut. Everything is layed out ahead of time so her little toes dont get cold out there.... Awwww! Actually we're out there in T shirts with the tunes playing having fun.
Saved the two firewall brackets that came to me as four pieces.Got them painted last nite and put in the cabinet today for future reference. The bone mounts were pretty straight forward. Holes drilled accurately and ALWAYS bumped with a countersink. cleaned up after the final trial fit in situ,with a flapper wheel on the grinder, then 4-5 coats of paint and string 'em up overnite to dry... ws

And then the fun starts...

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-28-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #44
yachtsmanbill

Not to poo-poo making more work out of nothing, but ya gotta understand this stuff was rustierthanheck and buried under a foot of snow...turned out nice if I say so my own bad self... ws

on and off... on and off

then bolt to the frame and drill the nottom holes once everything is accurately located. This aint being built for 1000 miles at 85 mph... just a buzz up town for ice cream next July///

BTW... homey dont weld on the frame rails!
Old 01-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #45
yachtsmanbill

But he sure do like to tag his work. Two primer coats and 4-5 rustoleo coats... ws

And now Willy taaard so he gonna go take hisself a nap.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #46
[email protected]

My brother was once tard, but then he worked really hard and then he was retard. But now he's an over the road truck driver and he says you have to be crazy to do that and I told him that's what makes him so tard. My sister told me he wasn't tard. She said he's just stupid.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #47
yachtsmanbill

Yer sister and brother are married eh?? That explains a lot LOL

Old Charlie Granger was always tired at work. One day he calls the janitor boss and says the new guys arent cleaning my office. Hmmm. The janitor boss talks to his guys and they tell him he's always sleeping when they go in and didnt want to disturb him... true story. He was always out late playing the piano at the "CHUTCH"...
So me being true to form in front of about 20 guys as he's handing out jobs in the morning, says to him... "Ya know Charly theres only one thing better than roses on the piano... thats TWO lips on the organ". You shoulda seen him blow the hot coffee outa his 'strills.

The very first day as a new boss, the plant superintendant comes in his office to shake his hand... The super had to wake him up and he sits up with a keyboard impression across his fore head... "Iz TAAARD. Another true story! Truth is stranger than friction. ws
Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #48
fordman67

Speedway???....oh you mean...Walmart of car parts...stuff ain't worth having...and ALL made in CHINA!.....yepppp
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #49
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Speedway???....oh you mean...Walmart of car parts...stuff ain't worth having...and ALL made in CHINA!.....yepppp
Whoa, hold on now. Some of the cheapest crapiest bling I put on my '38 Ford truck came from Speedway. And I'll have you know, if it had held up, it'd still be on the truck. We even ended up tossing the braided stainless hose covers before we were done. Actually we didn't toss all of it. I did use some of it on the 327 in my '53 F100.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #50
yachtsmanbill

This here is Willy's speedway... we build 'em to last! Started playing with the brackets today and ended up on the firewall mounts. The new frame rails and bone mounts meant I needed to section in a 7/16 inch piece for an offset on the brackets. The frame rails were 1/4" + 3/16 which the maff makes 7/16 and so it was...
Tomorrow Im gonna trim the bones down for an approximate length, then heat and bend them before a final cut to length then weld 'em up. Also started on the firewall as shown. Really only gonna use the hood former for the hood... Ive got LOTS of aluminum diamond plate... ws

Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #51
yachtsmanbill

Just advised spool kit was shipped this afternoon! Most excellent. Hopefully that stuff from Minnafrozensota will be here soon so I can resume. Any input on that C.A.R.E. package yet? Tomorrow is a shopping adventure in Green bay for an accordion for the wife. Cheap used pawn shop variety that is.
Cant wait to run the pollinator to the lake front park, sit under a tree and serenade her! The wife, not the car! ws
Old 02-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #52
John Otis

Send a message via AIM to John Otis Send a message via Yahoo to John Otis

Don't laugh. Go to a good machine shop where they have a long flat table and bring a big babbit hammer with you. That shaft can be easily straightened within tolerences by a simple and judicious calculated beating. I once had a huge post drill that in a past life had been tipped over with the spindle all the way up. The shaft was so badly bent it was deemed unfixable and I bought it for scrap. Pounded it with a babbit hammer and got it within .003. It was bent almost half an inch. Old timer told me how to do it and those guys sure knew how to fix things cheap.
John Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:14 PM   #53
yachtsmanbill

I would agree with you John, BUT, and thats a big'n this is what I did today...
I worked in the generating station end of electric production for 30+ years and straightened a lot of stuff as well. We had a large condensate pump with a bowed shaft. That was fixed by making a hot spot on the back side with a brazing torch. The shaft bowed right back from whence it came. I tried the cold patch today and almost broke the vise outa the bench. DANG! Corrected .005 out of it after about 4-5 attempts. I then took the torch and gave it a hot spot. Put it back in the blocks and it showed WAY better, but as it cooled down the indicator swang right back minus maybe .002 - .003 I didnt want to go any hotter. Actually with the bend, it also has a torsional or twisted bend as well. It was .085 at the u joint and .065 in the middle, BUT, it was off at the 90 degree mark. I think its a gawner. Ive also done a lot of boat shafting which is like 1-1/2" aquamet. its a bit springy but usually comes right back. This vanadium stuff is a different animule! I think I gotta bite the bullet and order a, gulp, new one for $120. General concensus is dont bother with a bad unit.
More to follow later. Tomorrow we head out to Baraboo Wi to visit some family and will order the new one Monday. Krappenzie! ws
Old 02-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #54
fordman67

U think that bent shaft and pinion gear had something to do with other? Haha....bummer.
If you didn't have bad luck u would not have any? That is me anyway!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #55
yachtsmanbill

"If it wasnt for bad luck, I wouldnt have no luck at all..." E. Clapton 1966

Let me know about that thing maybe by Monday if you can? I think it did have something to do with Mr. Hyatt...Ya think no front bushing had something to do with it??? ws

Yet look at the sleeve!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #56
fordman67

It is generally a bad deal.I hope if I ever tear mine down it is not that bad.my last one was not too good either.I wish I had the parts to give you to fix it! Them drive shafts are harder to find.I would probably opt for new just to know it is good.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #57
yachtsmanbill

GO HAWKS!!! Wasnt there a big hockey game today? Got a jim dandy CARE package yesterday and started to put it to good use! Got a new driveshaft ordered (to be confirmed tomorrow!!!) so that saga will come to an abrupt end, I HOPE! Plus I made an offer on 4 lightly used tires and tubes for $150 an it was accepted. Seller wanted $400 plus freight... no way could I swing that!
Once again, Thanks OSO!!! The pics show the new oil screen, NICE and the timer assembled finally! There was a nasty ridge on the contacts, so, WWWD??? He'd chuck it up and take it for a spin! Came out nice. Got that all on and painted and installed the coil box. A liitle progress... now for that stinkin' rear end! ws

Old 02-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #58
yachtsmanbill

That old timer had a pile of green paint on it... cleaned up nicely I'd say! There was a substantial ridge on the contacts. Took about .050 to clean it up. Another step closer! To what I dont know, but closer none the less!
ws

SO THERE !!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #59
yachtsmanbill

Holy Cow! I hadnt realized this thred was soooo far down! So its GAME ON today! Got my new drive shaft yesterday along with a nwew waterbed mattress. Had one since 1974 and when we moved up here we tossed it and went conventional. What a mistake! Cold hard bed makes every bone ache after only 4 hours of sleep per night. Thats means a nap and a ton of toolenalls LOL ! Got this thing together yesterday afternoon late and ran the hot water heater cold 1/4 of the way full. That thing was ice cold last nite even sleeping ON TOP of the electric blanket!
I cant do the math but its 250 gallons with a 300 watt heater and needs to rise about 40 degress. I used to know that stuff from being a power plant engineer but quit caring when I retired. Ill guess two days!
Gotta go get the heat on in the shop... been gone for a full day and it wqas +10F last nite... more cold bones. Updates later. So for now, if you didnt see it on the "buzz coils" thred heres some live action video LOL... ws

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=...3kWIh4l5k2TGxc
Old 02-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #60
yachtsmanbill

Another one of those days... I swear I gotta sneak up on that flivver before it lets me get anything done. Reminds me of my second wife LOL...
I now have THREE driveshafts to choose from. The original, a new old stock, and a new one from TG & P (turned, ground and polished) stock. The NOS one was made on centers on a lathe and the NEW one was probably done in a collet for the taper and a vise for milling the square end.
I checked both with MICs and on the blocks. They MICd up OK but were off when rolling. The new one rolled out .018 and the OEM rolled out at .006 This was at the pinion end. I chose the OEM unit which was a forging and measured 1.093 OD assembled the spool kit and the bastard rubbed inside the tube, probably on a weld. The tube looks straight. Took it apart and re-assembled it using the TG & P shaft which is 1.000" Still had a sligh rub. I needed to carefully center the spool to eliminate the rub, I bolted it together with a pair of 5/16 nuts and bolts to test and install. I left those in until finished assembling the whole kit and kaboodle, then pulled those two and replaced with the long bolts.
As per the book, the bare diff spun snuggly by thumb. That told me the thrust was pretty darn close. I could gage the center until the DS was in. Once that went in, the lash read .018 with an indicator, so plus the .002 gasket gave me right around .020 on the lash. The depth looks good. I bolted the bastard together and can now move on to bigger and better things, like outer sleeves and bearings, brakes and wheels. AND not to mention the rear spring and into the blasted frame.
The last laugh is always the best. ws

I also had to file fit the square for the U joint. The new shaft was .812 and the joint was probably .810