Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
yachtsmanbill

Default Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

I knew the left side tire was low on the snow blower. Last week I did the paddock and the scrape was really uneven. Fired up the old air compressor, and put 50 psi in the tires. Rolls smooth now. Its a 15 horse job with electric start...almost makes me look forward to going out on the frozen tundra. Checked the oil and gas and hit the electric thumb, and, click click, click click. A three year old machine thats probably hecho en mexico (does it even snow there???) and no go. Pulled the whole side off, checked and tightened all the connections and, click click, click click.
I tells myself, "self, you have got to be kidding me..." After over an hour I look over and the extension cord was unplugged from the wall Unlike being uphill from there, at least it was level ground.
Got my new thrust washers from Langs yesterday (hecho en china???) and they were not even flat like .206 - .208 thick, but had to de-bur the oil grooves. I shouldve made my own. Maybe next time. Then I wont need a shim pack either.
By this time all I could do was some safety wiring, change out four rear leaf spring shackle bushings, replace 2 spring clamp bolts, and paint that baad lad. Its now ready for tomorrow. Im waiting for my seals, and drive shaft bushing from minnafrozensota!
Maybe Ill have some exciting news tomorrow... for now, sweet dreams! ws

yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Just in case you have an enquring mind, was ist deine schnitzlebank, dis ist wast eine schnitzlebank ist... some people who dont have a clue probably think its something nasty, but its an old world device that you sit on, clamp a piece of wood under the dog, step on the pedal, and shave away at wooden spokes, So there!

Is that Hi Cob or Ty Cob?

So then, I took some figgers from the OEM thrust shims and its shown here... Thats all hunky dory, but where do I start as far as setting the ring gear offset. That plays in with pinion mesh for depth AND for lash. Hmmm... ws

Also should ad that some wise guy said to make a pusher for the bushings... yeah right. Ive done at least 20 sets over the years and its a BIG DARN HAMMER and a punch with some sore wrists. This was number 21 and it finally succumbed to the gas ax. It pays to be an artiste.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
[email protected]

Are Okie Dokie and Hunky Dory allowed? If they are I'd have to say that's pretty damn peachy keen. Thanks Will it was nice to see an update.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

I realize those were pretty strong adjectives! I really hafta watch my potty mouth from now on. Sure dont need any "corner time" ! I was hoping OSO would see this and give me some input on that gear spacing... maybe theres a basketball game tonite. Gosh darn it to heck anyway!
Gotta buzz back across the hall... big spring discussion going on over there... stay tuned! ws
Old 01-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #5
yachtsmanbill

Howz about the title of this thred you old northlander? ws

http://translate.reference.com/translate
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
redmodelt

Sounds like you are talking about the bronze thrust washer for the rear end. The are made thick in the first place so you can adjust the ring and pinion for correct mash. They were not meant to be just a drop in item so as long as they are thicker then would be needed it's a good thing. If they are too thin because the steel thrust washers sheared the pins and wore the housings then you would have to make your own.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
Farmallcub49

Bill,

I like the title, especially since we've been using the blow gun to get all the bondo dust and cobwebs off the shop wall for the impending work meeting. I think you prematurely wired the ring gear bolts. You may have to shim the ring gear out to get the proper .008-.012 ring/pinion mesh.

The bronze washer sound about right. You may need to fit them to get it all hunky dory with the world. Once you get that book I sent you, read it and you may have some of it figured out and then you'll have to read it again.

I am laughing at your snowblower problem. When I went to start mine this fall, I use the rope, I aint no button pusher yet; the handle came off in my hand! The blower was bought new last december and used only a hand full of times. Three weeks later and a under warranty slip and it has worked good so far, of course I have only used it once. Sure is cold out tonight; I'd tell you how cold, but it might get my post removed.

You guys better watch your language! Especially you, Garrison!!
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
yachtsmanbill

Thanks Bear "Oso"! I was just looking at cobwebs today! So what youre saying is that I cant set the center on the carrier until I have the shaft/pinion assembled on one side of the housing? Do I really need to shim the ring gear or merely shim the assembly "over" on the thrust washers? The .172 / .210 was the OEM babbit washers. Im gonna hafta beg for some guidance through this. Ive set 12 bolt GM posi's before with the crush collars/pinion shims and carrier trunion bearing shims, so Im not a total stranger to this. cant wait for the "package" to get here! Check your EMAIL ALONE PLEASE! ws
Old 01-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #9
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Bill,

I like the title, especially since we've been using the blow gun to get all the bondo dust and cobwebs off the shop wall for the impending work meeting. I think you prematurely wired the ring gear bolts. You may have to shim the ring gear out to get the proper .008-.012 ring/pinion mesh.

The bronze washer sound about right. You may need to fit them to get it all hunky dory with the world. Once you get that book I sent you, read it and you may have some of it figured out and then you'll have to read it again.

I am laughing at your snowblower problem. When I went to start mine this fall, I use the rope, I aint no button pusher yet; the handle came off in my hand! The blower was bought new last december and used only a hand full of times. Three weeks later and a under warranty slip and it has worked good so far, of course I have only used it once. Sure is cold out tonight; I'd tell you how cold, but it might get my post removed.

You guys better watch your language! Especially you, Garrison!!
It's no worse than what I heard come out of your mouth when we were changing the bands on my T. And it wasn't me that was talking so bad. It was my Iowa / Wisconsin connection. But I can almost figure I can expect it from a guy from St Joseph. You know I thought you were a pretty good guy until last summer when I was thinking about changing my preferences for... Well let's just leave that one alone. I don't need Central Minnesota thinking poorly of me. I guess that just wouldn't be that "hunky dory"
Old 01-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #10
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Howz about the title of this thred you old northlander? ws

http://translate.reference.com/translate
Ya, well if you wouldn't have stirred things up so bad, we could have kept working and got things done. And by Got, ya better git sometin dun don't cha know.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #11
yachtsmanbill

Fired up the snohoser this mornin eh? Finished the tarmac, then came in fer some coffee and nasty pasties. Took a nap and dreamed about summer. Maybe we'll plant that spring wheat t'morrow! ws

Didnt even feel like reading the paper this morning!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
[email protected]

-20 here this AM. -9 and dropping now. Last night at midnight it was -6. Things are starting to look a little bleak here in the northwoods on the edge of the prairie. However we're making ice. The problem is this is going to shut down the panfish and spearing will be some slim pickens. From the looks of that floor in the sauna the wax seal on your bench is leaking a little. Only in Wisconsin would someone build a single hole sauna. However I do believe I could use about an hour in there about now. Maybe I'll heat up the Jacuzzi and lay in there for awhile. Oh yeah, a little windsor on the rocks and a hot dip in the tub. I'll put the ice bucket and the whiskey right on the edge of the tub. Oh, I've got a plan now.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:33 AM   #13
yachtsmanbill

Swing on by and Ill throw some extra rocks on the fire for ya! Maybe a roof too! (Well a blue tarp anyway!). I forgot to bring the dogs in this morning and they were waiting at the door with their feet frozen to the ground. I had to scurry and grab the electric knife. Question is what do I do with 8 feet? I know theres a punch line in that some wheres... ws

A mere -20F and the old lady's raggin about indoor plumbin'. Had a critical situation this morning... all the sears catalog pages were frozen together. Sure glad its the twentieth century!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
[email protected]

Zero this morning. I'm not sure if it's good to not have any temperature. The furnace and the garage heater shouldn't have to run steady to keep up this morning.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #15
yachtsmanbill

Took the day off too... just felt like slumming. At zero the garage heat would run almost non stop. Need a wood burner out there next year for some aux heat.
Got the OSO package today. What a great guy!! Seals, oinion (looks NEW) a bushing and the Axle book from MTFCA. Pretty gosh darn comprehensive! Thanks man!!!
Now I need to part with my Marlin 336C to finish financing this part of the job. Only had 10 proof rounds run through it. ws
Old 01-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
yachtsmanbill

I just received Glenn Chaffins' orange front and rear axle MTFCA book... what a plethora of useful information. Best money spent so far! HOWEVER, theres a gray area between the 25 and 26-27 new and improved model info...
The book and my past experience has proven that theres supposed to be 2 nuts on each rear radius rod. One in front and one in back of the U joint housing to adjust perpendicularity (whew!!) between the drive shaft and the axle. This unit came with TWO... one on each side. It seems the radius rod pulled up against a shoulder making for NO ADJUSTMENT and possibly distorting the diff housing. Anyone care to comment on this?
Next step is to order a spool bearing kit. Adjustable or not? Comments? Seems the adjustable is the way to go but does cost a bit more. Also got a new drive shaft bushing. With the spool kit does the thrust collar need to come off? ws

Old 01-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
fordman67

I sure hope someone chimes in on this bearing.I used the original on my ol speedster. I wonder also though if it is a worthwhile upgrade.
You fellas are just whinning about this weather...It is 40 and raining here...IF only we could get some of that snow transported down here...
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #18
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Took the day off too... just felt like slumming. At zero the garage heat would run almost non stop. Need a wood burner out there next year for some aux heat.
Got the OSO package today. What a great guy!! Seals, oinion (looks NEW) a bushing and the Axle book from MTFCA. Pretty gosh darn comprehensive! Thanks man!!!
Now I need to part with my Marlin 336C to finish financing this part of the job. Only had 10 proof rounds run through it. ws
Just be careful with that wood burner...Too many close calls in shops.
My buddy literally punched his way through his wooden garage door to get out .
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:32 AM   #19
Farmallcub49

The adjustable one is nice and makes setup a little quicker, but i have always used the stock setup. I have put many together with the adjustable one and they are nice. If your driveshaft is wore, meaning your sleeve pulled off easily or was spun on the shaft at disassembly, it is wore and then you would either have to buy a new one or find a good used one. By the time you do this, you'll will have paid for an adjustable one. Bill, if you haven't bought one yet, let me know I can save you some money on one, the adjustable one that is.
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #20
yachtsmanbill

Thanks OSO... Just got an email from JR this morning about his kits... he actually recommends AND runs the non adjustable unit on his own car. The adj unit is back ordered too. Bummer.
So far (!) everything has Mic'd up... the sleeve (new??) came off with a touch of heat and a brass drift on each side... I was shocked! Sooo... the spool goes into the drivers side housing and we move the carrier over via shims for the lash adjustment... right? Is the depth or engagement of the pinion a crap shoot if no shims/gaskets are required on the spool? I hope you can tell Ive been reading yer book!
Maybe I can even read it inside today LOL... ws

The sleeve fit looks worse in the pic than it actually is...