Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #21
fordman67

Default Re: my 1925 tudor project thread

Thanks Herm. Yea I am not completly disappointed.I like to know what I have on all my projects. It is not always a good thing as I spend too much money. But on this one I have a lot of details to make sure are correct as I plan on driving this thing as much as absolutley possible! As soon as possible!

Last edited by fordman67; 12-29-2011 at 11:40 PM.
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #22
[email protected]

Well, you've become an inspiration. I've had the engine out of tne '21 touring for a week and have'nt touched it. I've had the excuse I want to do some work on the walls of the shop and build a workbench. But today all that's going to get pushed aside and I'm going to get down to the bottom of the problem. I need to pull the rear main. To much crankshaft endplay and I lost my magneto.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #23
fordman67

Good deal! Hopefully the machine shop will get back with me and I will get pistons ordered tomorrow. Also as an added bonus I did a side job tonight and have a transmission to build for another friend...Hope this T finance fund continues to hold up and I can get more parts on the way! Recession? Really? Man I just want to slow down...full steam ahead!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #24
fordman67

well,the machine shop called me today. It turns out the ol gal was wore good. It needs a .040 over bore.Cool,parts will be ordered monday.
YAHOOOO!!!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
[email protected]

I got kind of a kick out of your posts. I'm going to start with the transmission on mine and work my way toward the front. I would really like to rebuild the motor on mine because I've got it out. However I have to consider the fact the motor was running just fine. But I have to eliminate the crankshaft endplay so my magneto will work. I'm thinking of repairing the thrust on the main myself. I'm thinking I would like to learn as much as possible about the mechanics of these cars so I'm not held to the excessively high prices for labor that the people who do know charge. I sure like this hobby and really enjoy working on these cars but my fixed income limits me to what I can pay for labor. I've got a really great friend in farmallcub49 and though he supplements a good part of his income by working on model T's he has also provided me with a lot of advice and help when I'm working on them. And it helps that he supplies my parts too. The other good thing is the model T club I belong to. There aren't to many people who haven't gone through what I'm going through now. I'm a little bummed out today because they had their Christmas party this morning and I was ill and couldn't attend. I didn't think there was any reason for me to make them all sick too. So keep going. It sounds like your doing fine.
-Mike
Old 12-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #26
fordman67

It would be nice if there was a fix for a t thrust like there is on an A.surely a bronze thrust with some pins to locate could be fashioned. I wish I could have gotten mine running short of complete teardown. But it goes that way.Sorry you are feeling bad. My family is all sick also so I can relate. Just keep up the good work and pluggin away.Maybe we get these flivers going someday. I might have to come up there and and we can tour some.It sounds like there is a good T community there locally!
Old 12-19-2011, 10:49 PM   #27
fordman67

Is anyone else familiar with this book? I bought it at Hershey a couple of years ago. I just keep rereading it and studying the pictures and diagrams. The ads section is also makes me wish I had a time machine and could go back and buy some accesories....I just wish I had a heater for this thing...

Also, I placed my first of many parts order today...FUN!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #28
fordman67

Well, I suppose Christmas came a bit early for me. Now I have work to do and hopefully the powdercoater will come through soon. All is well though. AND Snyders door glass run kit I believe WILL ALSO repair quarter windows as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:08 PM   #29
fordman67

coils...the 4 to t
he left were what came in the ol gal...4 on the right,I did some work for a friend who was hoarding them for his antique gas engines.
The coil man does not think I should use the brass top on my car that my coul box wont work.I cant trade them out since my friend was so nice to give me such a great deal.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:12 PM   #30
fordman67

What a beautiful thing! the machine shop sure did a bang up job.

What is that orange paint about? It sure sticks well! What color is it supposed to be anyway.

Sure is a pretty crankshaft!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #31
fordman67

tada! my signature works now! yeeeaaaaa
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
Old 12-30-2011, 12:22 AM   #32
dumb person

Not sure what the orange paint was but it might have been a version of red lead that was popular once? Maybe not.
Anyway the brass top ones might work as long as you do not put the top on the coil box.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #33
fordman67

So, is the engine supposed to be the green like an A? Or black? Heck I never really thought much about it to be honest... At least the serial number on the engine matches my title!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
jackdaron

You moter would be black or unpainted.(cast)
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #35
fordman67

Hmmm, I do like black painted engines. It will look nice with that brass stromberg acc carb!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #36
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdaron View Post
You moter would be black or unpainted.(cast)
Most of the T engines I see are green. My '21 is green. Were they green for awhile and switch to black or maybe vice versa? Or were all of them black?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #37
fordman67

I should do some research on this subject.I have seen some very early cars that they were red on? I had previously read about the bare unpainted engines. Most I have seen were black but never really was concerned. I am not doing some over the top restoration on the T.I do however want it to be faithful to original as much as I can.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #38
jackdaron

I have a 25 tudor and have had for many years. I now have everything to finish it but the necessary funds. They can be quite expensive to upholster/glass/paint. One of the most lengthy discussions on the MTFCA forum concerned engine painting. Since a lot of the old records were lost,there isn't to much availble to help. The general consenses is some very thin black paint was used on some,but maybe not all till 1926 when Ford used a Green color. Most of the guys use the MOdel A green as it seems to be the closest. Your milage may vary.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 AM   #39
[email protected]

Farmallcub49 has a 1922 centerdoor that, to the best of my knowledge, has never had the engine opened up. It would be interesting for him to get on this thread and let us know for sure if it hasn't been worked on other then maintenance and what color the engine is. I've seen his rebuilds and as I recall they're green. Wow this has become a puzzler.
-Mike
Old 12-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #40
Jack Innes

Bruice McCauley did a lot of research for his book & the following is his take on engine painting. The bottom line looks like most engines were bare metal, some were lightly painted black & some of the "Improved cars" were moleskin. No mention of green. PAINTINGExposed parts of Model T Fords were generally painted the body color. Early red cars, for example, had red fenders, aprons, hoods, running boards, axles, and wheels. The same is true of the Brewster Green and blue cars but here these is some question. Since these greens and blues were extremely dark, if not black, it is often difficult to determine if the parts were the body color or actually black paint. The consensus is that the above parts were originally the body color, not black.

Nuts, bolts, and small assemblies which could be seen easily, were also painted, even though such parts were installed after the painting process. Ford had people with paint and brush in hand to “touch up” such parts. While there may be exceptions, all exposed pieces were painted, and this includes the cotter keys in these pieces.
Engines, engine pans, and splash shields (at the side of the engine) may or may not have been painted. Again, the consensus is that many engines were not painted but that some were painted in a very thin black during the Model T era. Late 1926 and 1927 engines were painted Moleskin, at least at the main factory. Even here, though, there were exceptions. Engine pans follow the same pattern. The dust shields were probably painted body color in the early years, and black through 1927. Floor boards were generally not painted but may have been given a coat of linseed oil or similar.
Indeed, there are no hard and fast rules on what was and what was not painted on any Model T. There were too many variations.

ENGINE PAINTING1927In Walter T. Fishleigh's files in Accession 94 at the Ford Archives there is a memo dated July 26, 1926 entitled: “Finish For Model T Motors”. It lists the finish to be put on each of the exposed parts of the motor.

Black Pyroxlylin used on:
Transmission Cover
Starter Motor
Generator
Crankcase
Commutator
Black Graphite Paint used on:
Exhaust Manifold and Carburetor
Black Enamel used on:
Breather Cap
Commutator Retainer Spring
Manifold Clamps