Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
37 Coupe

Default Snyders rebuilt shift towers

Has anyone traded a core for a rebuilt transmission tower from Snyders and what is your opinion? Is there someone in the Model A community that does this rebuild? I think my '31 one is pretty good shape except the shift lever so I really would like to have it rebuilt.I suppose after rebuilding my transmission and other components I could do the mechanical work and install a new chrome lever but it loos like you have to invest some in special tools and spring retainers . Seems moe economical to just buy one from Snyders ready to go but I hate to give up a very good core for one rebuilt on a once junk core.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Dick Carne

Default Re: Snyders rebuilt shift towers

If your core is in good shape and you have no problems with the car jumping out of gear, you might find that it is less expensive to spend the money on a new shift lever and the tools to compress the shift lever spring. Depending on the roundness of the ball on the bottom of your shift lever, you might also consider as an alternative replating your shift lever and re-using it. If your forks are fairly square and you are still inclined to rebuild the tower, you might consider swapping the forks and replacing the detention spring. Good luck either way.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:39 PM   #3
Dick Carne

My post should have read "detente" spring. By swapping the forks, I was referring to swapping the forks between the two shifting shafts. So much for "auto-correct" functions.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:45 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Has anyone traded a core for a rebuilt transmission tower from Snyders and what is your opinion? Is there someone in the Model A community that does this rebuild? I think my '31 one is pretty good shape except the shift lever so I really would like to have it rebuilt.I suppose after rebuilding my transmission and other components I could do the mechanical work and install a new chrome lever but it loos like you have to invest some in special tools and spring retainers . Seems moe economical to just buy one from Snyders ready to go but I hate to give up a very good core for one rebuilt on a once junk core.
Are new shift forks back into production now?

There is probably a little more involved in correctly rebuilding these than meets the normal eye in these. Many shift forks have been damaged due to speed-shifting over time, -or are just worn in general which causes incorrect gear alignment. We have a special jig & fixture that allows us to check the fork for alignment, and we weld & machine the worn areas. Also, new shift rails need machining in the detent area to contour the shaft to fit the detent better. Also, the housing needs to be checked to make sure the shift rail bores are not worn where they bind during shifting.

Most of your better quality vendors have someone that rebuilds them for their customers. Ask your vendor exactly what is done during the rebuild process.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
Bruce of MN

I had bookmarked this link: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24362

My memory (hah!) tells me Tom Wesenberg also posted a tool on FB here.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #6
Del in NE Ohio

At Snyder’s, their rebuilt shift towers are personally rebuilt by “Doc” Snyder. Never been disappointed in his work. Can’t say that much for the re-po shift levers.
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:27 AM   #7
harleynut

I got one from Snyder's a few years back. Works well.....never had any problems with it.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
Benson

Do the rebuilt towers use original forged shift sticks with ball welded and ground to correct size or do they use those Repro threaded together two piece shift sticks which break or come unscrewed?

Last edited by Benson; 01-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:30 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Do the rebuilt towers use original forged shift sticks with ball welded and ground to correct size or do they use those Repro threaded together two piece shift sticks which break or come unscrewed?

I think most will reuse what the customer specifies. I know we do. The biggest issue that we run into is have cores to replate to sell to a customer. At that point, we must install a new repro or reinstall the one that came out.

Most people probably do not realize this, but there is a difference between the 28/29 shift lever vs. the 30/31 lever. It is the difference in the bend, -and naturally the repro lever is not the same as either original lever.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote