Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-09-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
richard crow

Default hershey

don,t see much remarks about this year . a lot of empty spaces i think it,s on the decline what do you think
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Pete/Ct.

Default Re: hershey

The crowds are decreasing yearly, had a great time, sold one item not there for profit. It appears it has become a social meet. I still will attend in the future out of tradition not economics. Pete/Ct.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
don,t see much remarks about this year . a lot of empty spaces i think it,s on the decline what do you think
I think it's doing very well.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229978

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-09-2017 at 09:29 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:21 PM   #4
jim1932

may have been some empty spots, but I thought there were a lot less spots with the pile of junk and"honor system"
Old 10-09-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
jacob smith

I think that it is a lot of walking and there are a lot of empty spaces between the vendors making it hard for people. For a lot of people it is just to much walking. I can't wait to go to Hershey and i try to get there but can't always get time off work. But when i can go i am like a kid in a candy store. It is so much more fun to find the part at a show then to just order it on eBay.
Old 10-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
skidmarks

The word negative doesnt fit in with Hershey fall swapmeet. Best weather this past week in a couple years and there was plenty to buy.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
herb southern

It was with the trip just to see the 32 Victoria under a half inch of mud and straw. Sorry that I forgot my camera. Perhaps one of you did not and are able to post your picture for all to enjoy
herb southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #8
SUHRsc

I sold more then ever and bought more good stuff at fair prices then I expected. I even found some super hard to find parts I needed, in excellent condition. I think a lot of people aren't willing to put in the effort to walk the rows and look in every pile, plus take the time to talk to the vendors and negotiate a fair price. Some are stuck in the mud and won't budge but a lot of them like to haggle....

I even found some parts I needed in the "junk" $1 piles...

I thought it was one of the best years in a while!
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #9
32phil

This was my 44th year. I never saw four 80 degree days in a row. In my opinion I think crowds/parts were up. Saturday .....not so much...It was a Ghost Town. I walked the whole thing.... some areas twice....I have the blisters to prove it !! Didn't spend as much time on my spot as I planned....got lotsa lock bizness phone calls tho. My buddy was selling on all 3 spots so he didn't miss me at all !
I guess my cheapo sign worked after all ( I left the new one home...my bad).
I found some neat 32 goodies....still kicking myself over a few things I passed on...as usual !
I don't think it's declining, changing yes,..... but not fading.
Going next year? You Bet ! I already paid for my room !
See ya there next year !!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #10
RalphM

Why don't you guys stop torturing me with all this Hershey talk. I have never had the chance to go there and now I'm on the opposite side of the world!
In a place where there are no swap meets. I guess it's still on my bucket list, but the cost of a plane ticket there would far outweigh any good deals I could find.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:42 PM   #11
TomT/Williamsburg

I know there were empty spaces but there was a lot of good stuff to buy and I did my share. I even sold some stuff although I was not there to sell .... dynomite weather as far as I was concerned ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #12
GB SISSON

Much like Ralph M I am green with envy.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herb southern View Post
It was with the trip just to see the 32 Victoria under a half inch of mud and straw. Sorry that I forgot my camera. Perhaps one of you did not and are able to post your picture for all to enjoy
They are posted here:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=229978&page=3

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 AM   #14
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
One in every crowd. Many factors will affect attendance. Maybe the support is is taking a shift to the way it was, decades ago. True motorheads and greasers. This game ain't for everyone. The fall meet was becoming like a festival ( carnival?) that everyone would flock to. Today the masses want their kicks delivered. Then they don't hafta leave the TV, PC etc. and use their funds on gasoline.

Myself I'm banking on next year, that my strength will be up, and my drug supply reduced.

I want to thank all who communicated their activities. Y'all know who you are, you've made the change of season a lot better for this ol' sad sack.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 AM   #15
V8ER

It was the best Hershey for me in 15 - 20 years! I bought a lot and sold most everything that I took. I made several great buys by 10 AM Tuesday.
V8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
Kurt in NJ

I like the search, every year I find something I couldn't find any other way , many times at prices 1/3 of what I would have to pay online, I'll sleep in the back seat of my car if I have to to be there
There have always been cycles of good years---bad years, lately all good, I remember when it was just 1` field and the asiles were so full you could hardly walk, now that it is spread out more it is easier to see and move faster than the flow

Last edited by Kurt in NJ; 10-10-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:48 AM   #17
Frank Miller

The internet has changed everything from buying parts to booking a hotel room. Everything is on pavement and places close up. I remember it was sunup to sundown. People would camp and as long as people were walking by they were selling parts. But that was then and this is now. There's still plenty of walking and parts to see you do not find just anywhere. Some of the nicest cars in the world as well. People from foreign countries are still attending. I do not need anything, I just love to look and meet people. Maybe help someone out with a project by sharing my experience. I still feel lucky to be able to attend. Hope to see you all next year.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #18
stangblue

I had a great time at Hershey this year. Weather was perfect people were nice and friendly. Met people from all over the world. As far as selling and buying, I find things are far cheaper than E-pay! But we all know the trade off, traveling, overnite stays, spaces, parking etc. I like to think of it as a enjoyable vacation with my peers.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #19
TagMan

Whatever changes time has wrought, a bad day at Hershey is still WAY better than a good day at work
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #20
35fordtn

I thought this year was great. In terms of selling I sold more this year than I ever have. It's fun to meet people and chat in person.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote