Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #101
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Pretty much LOOKS like the rust pits that I covered-up with spray bombs on my stuff forty-five years ago and called it "restored", before I knew the difference. DD

Wow, it ONLY took you forty-five years to know the difference... Look a little closer at the photo I posted, if they really are "rust pits" wouldn't it stand to reason that the "banjo” as well as the spring perches would also be pitted...? Something more for you to ponder.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:01 PM   #102
V12Bill

In NJ is is not uncommon to find pits in the axle housings. NJ is damp in the summer and salt is used on the highways all winter long. The center sections are usually smooth because the oil leaked out of the housing and gave it a nice protective coating. The leaking oil also protected the ends of the axle housings from rust and it is not uncommon to have smooth areas on them.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #103
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
In NJ is is not uncommon to find pits in the axle housings. NJ is damp in the summer and salt is used on the highways all winter long. The center sections are usually smooth because the oil leaked out of the housing and gave it a nice protective coating. The leaking oil also protected the ends of the axle housings from rust and it is not uncommon to have smooth areas on them.
My first car was a '48 Ford TuDor (that I bought on Long Island, NY). It had lived its life on LI from new in '48. It was (and I think still is) common practice to "salt" the roads in the winter on LI. I owned several '30's and '40's vintage Flatheads while I lived there and never saw a rear that was as "textured" as the Columbia I have. The Zephyr was also a LI car from new and the rear we pulled out has a smooth finish as does our '39 Ford CS, also a LI car. It is a conundrum however, based on the limited information I've been able to obtain, I know for sure that the "Columbia" side of the axle was in fact made by Columbia, which may or may not account for the "textured" finish... Bottom line for me is this; I'm not too concerned with the outward appearance of the Columbia, I want the unit to function as it should because we plan to drive this car quite a bit and that includes some long road trips. She will not be a Trailer Queen.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #104
Kube

Vic, With due respect and to offer a bit of (obviously needed) clarification I's like to reiterate in part my earlier post:
The axle housings were not CAST by Columbia. Rather, the right housing was CAST by Ford and MODIFIED by Columbia.
Columbia did NOT cast axle housings. Period.

When I began to read this thread I initially became interested in the "texture" as I'd not seen that before on a "restored" assembly. It had not occurred to me that you would have painted over a pitted (rusted) housing as must surely be the only plausible explanation. That is the sole reason I inquired about the "texture" in the first place.

It was my mistake to assume. You know what is said about those that assume.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #105
Vic Piano

Kube, Paint over rust (your assumption) that’s very funny… in fact, I prepped the entire assembly however; I did not grind it smooth as I'm not that anal and I want function over finish in this instance (I don’t build Trailer Queens), prior to priming and painting it. Further, I talked with John Connelly of Columbia two speed Parts, Inc., he said that Columbia cast the axle housings for the conversion (my assumption is that he is correct, while it is possible that he was only referring to the right axle housing being modified by Columbia, he did not clarify that). With all due respect, where did you get your information?
Old 02-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #106
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Kube, Paint over rust (your assumption) that’s very funny… in fact, I prepped the entire assembly however; I did not grind it smooth as I'm not that anal and I want function over finish in this instance (I don’t build Trailer Queens), prior to priming and painting it. Further, I talked with John Connelly of Columbia two speed Parts, Inc., he said that Columbia cast the axle housings for the conversion (my assumption is that he is correct, while it is possible that he was only referring to the right axle housing being modified by Columbia, he did not clarify that). With all due respect, where did you get your information?
Sorry for any confusion I have apparently caused you. I didn't mean over rust but rather pitted housings. From personal experience, I know you went to a lot of trouble to build that differential up. It simply had not occurred to me that after all that effort you would not fill any pitting. Regardless, we know know the "story".
I think if you speak with John once again he will clarify what I have told you in regard to the housings. He knows me and knows the lengths I go to to research this type of thing.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #107
Vic Piano

No confusion here, I never intended to smooth the axle as it is not visible unless you are under the car and, as I mentioned, I'm more concerned with function then vanity. You didn't say where you got your information, I'd appreciate knowing as I want to learn more about the Columbia Axle Company.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #108
Vic Piano

For those of you that have been following our slow but continuing progress on the '39 LZ, as well as those who like to actually drive their cars more than just on and off of trailers... Hopefully we'll be getting back to working on the Zephyr next weekend. I was hoping to have her back together and on the road for the "Barner's Bash" this weekend but we've been out of town for the last three weekends. Stay tuned as the fun will continue.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 AM   #109
Vic Piano

Now that the "Barner's Bash" is over, it's almost time to get back to work on the '39 Zephyr. Here's a photo of the rear shocks (rebuilt by Bill Wzorek) along with the correct NOS dog bones. I'm really looking forward to driving the "new" Zephyr...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #110
Vic Piano

Well, I'm finally going to be home for a couple of weekends in a row, so I hope we can get some more work done on the Zephyr. I'll post photos of the fun and hope I don't offend anyone’s sensibilities (if they don't like looking at a 72 year old undercarriage that does not shine like a mirror). This car has been, and will continue to be, driven as much as possible, and I can't wait to get her back on the road.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #111
Vic Piano

We finally got a chance to get some work done on the Zephyr. Yesterday Mike and Jeff came over and we installed the transmission and brake & clutch pedal assemblies and assorted linkage. We didn't have enough time to get the rear back into the car, that'll be the next step.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #112
41ford1

Quote:
This car has been, and will continue to be, driven as much as possible, and I can't wait to get her back on the road.

Well, that is what they were built for. I'll bet you can't wait to be toolin' around in it.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #113
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
Well, that is what they were built for. I'll bet you can't wait to be toolin' around in it.
We might even get her ready in time for the New England tour but I think the Moonshine Festival is a more attainable goal.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #114
41ford1

Put the Zephyr on the train and do NE tour. A step by step operations placard will work for the Auto Train guys. The tour is coming together and it should be good. You will like it.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #115
KiWinUS

I would just let KiWi,s Towing come & haul that ol junker off so you dont have to waste time on her !!!!
He prob wont charge you to haul her off ..... jus cause he likes ya !!!!
Plus that would let you spend time on that magnificent house & get his room in the house finished so he can move in !!
Cheers

Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #116
B-O-B

Tony only haul it off if he throws in the plaid jacket!!! heh heh he
B-O-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #117
41ford1

Oh Yeah! If you come to the NE tour you have to bring that plaid jacket!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM   #118
Vic Piano

Tony, all I can say is "be careful what you wish for"... LOL. I can't believe that my jacket made such a hit with everyone... Maybe we could make it the official "Barner's Bash" Jacket... Here's another shot of me with my daughter at her wedding rehearsal.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #119
41ford1

Lets face it. The Zephyr needs plaid seat covers even if its only temporary.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #120
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Ok, here's a question for those in the know. I just received two NOS dog bones for the rear shocks on the Lincoln Zephyr. The NOS DB's measure 4" center to center which is what is listed in the LZ parts book however; the DB's I removed are 5" center to center.

There are no ID numbers on any of the DB's, so here's my question; what, if any difference will the shorter DB's make, and could it be that convertibles had the longer DB's to compensate for the weight difference? Thanks in advance for any help. Vic
The dogbone you removed isnt correct for the Zephyr . The other two look to be correct. The Zephyr dogbone doesnt have a rubber bushing inside of it,the steel ball end of the stud is crimped in there much like a ball joint or tie rod end.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote