Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
goleafsgo_12

Default 30/31 Roadster/ Truck Windshield Issue

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out whats going on with this car I bought a few months back. The person that sold it to me said it was a "30/31" roadster, but then later told me it had part of a truck cowl to it.. Okkkk..? So, with that said, Im trying to understand what part of the windshield goes where.

Look at the picture below of my cowl, i've faintly outlined in red the stanchion area in question. You may have to zoom in to see the outline.

The car came with stamped steel lower stanchions, but the lower stanchion bolt holes don't line up with anything on the cowl. With that said, I did some searching around and found a Ram's Horn on Mac's parts site ( http://macsautoparts.com/model-a-ram...MDA/cp/A37132/ ) and thought it might be what I'm after. There is a rectangular pocket in the cowl that looks like this horn would fit in (even though right now it has rotten wood in it, perhaps somebody made a makeshift window frame at some point?)

So... With all that said, is this cowl for a truck? Will it work with my roadster body? Do I need to buy some ram's horns and fit my stanchions into the them, or do I have incorrect lower stanchions and need new ones?

Thanks everyone,
Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6918highlight.jpg (69.7 KB, 127 views)
goleafsgo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
SUHRsc

Default Re: 30/31 Roadster/ Truck Windshield Issue

This appears to be a closed cab cowl with the windshield posts cut off... not for a roadster pick-up... but the gas tank will interchange along with the firewall and I believe toe kicks?

with some cutting and welding you could make it work... but roadster cowls are out there...

Zach
77-6050B, 81AS - 81SB - 99AS - 99SB 19AS cylinder heads
SUHRsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
james hitchcock

I have a 31 closed cab cowl and yours looks identical to mine with the exception that the posts have been cut off. Sorry yours was never a roadster.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #4
goleafsgo_12

Hmm... Ok, so it was never a roadster cowl, fair enough.. Can somebody tell me what panel I would need to buy (maybe find an example from macs website) so I can see the proper peice? Is it a cut and weld in thing? The gas tank is going to go, I'm doing a minor resto mod for this car, keeping most things classic with a few changes here and there.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 10-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
goleafsgo_12

Also, what would that Ram horn be used for then?
Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #6
peters180a/170b

All i can tell you is go buy a Brookville roadster complete cowl, To try to turn the cowl you have to a roadster is nuts! you would also need Cross rail behind dash Belt rail and then you need to find a Belt rail.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
31Tudor

Hi Ryan, You actually can do what you are suggesting. The key piece that you need is the back crossover piece that goes on the back of the gas tank that has the ears on it for a roadster. I don't think they make that piece. The ears are what the lower stantion fastens to. If you could find that piece then you can cut the belt molding to fit the lower stantion bottom curve. I did that from a sedan cowl and made a speedster with a roadster cowl. Came out pretty good.
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #8
Marco Tahtaras

The only parts that are the same are the gas tank and firewall (as mentioned), and the floor channels that support the floor boards. None of the door posts, cowl sheet metal, or belt rail structure, is remotely the same or usable for a Roadster.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
goleafsgo_12

So none of the doors will line up if I try to assemble the body, it wont fit on the sub rails, the body lines wont line up, I pretty much have to scrap the whole unit and get something strictly for a roadster? Windshield frame aside, is this unit workable for the rest of the body or is it a no go? The reason I ask is that the entire car has already been epoxy primer sprayed and media blasted, cowl included.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
tuneman

Talking Re: 30/31 Roadster/ Truck Windshield Issue

dont' know where you are located? But, If you can get to hershey pa this week for the big swap meet . Chances are you will find one
tuneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Ryan,

It would be good if you would post your location and maybe someone can show you what we are all trying to describe. If you want to build a “rat rod” (sorry for using the bad word but it was the only one I could think of that fit) go to Home Depot and get some hinges designed for a wooden gate. Get some sheet metal screws to attach them. If you want to build a street rod and can do most of the work yourself (or afford to pay to have it done) you can probably end up with an acceptable result after a lot of work (money). If you want something the looks good get a genuine roadster cowl and go from there. If you can’t find a used one by advertising you might be able to get something from the companies that build the reproduction bodies. As you can see in the pictures of my 1931 roadster pickup the door jam of the roadster is not flat up and down but curves at the top. The top of the door flows around to the cowl. The doors and the thickness of the jam are much narrower for the roadster since the roadster doors do not accommodate roll up windows. If you are using real roadster doors they won’t fit the door jams at the cowl. If you are using closed cab truck doors they won’t match the roadster body at the back (plus they will be too long and too thick to look good). What does the rest of your body look like is it a real roadster or something else with the top cut off?

Charlie Stephens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7950.jpg (40.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7949.jpg (41.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7948.jpg (35.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7947.jpg (43.9 KB, 41 views)
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
goleafsgo_12

Charlie, thanks for the pictures, those were exactly what I was looking for.. It's tough to find a close up of a certain part sometimes, and they were bang on. I do indeed have a closed car cowl, the door jams at the cowl are about an inch thicker then the door. The doors are roadster doors, they have no door handles or glass and they curve in to the dash like they should. The rear quarters are also roadster as they are about the same thickness as the doors are. I have attached pictures of everything.

With the exception of the door jams, curved portion of the dash and side panels (where the lower window mounts bolt over top of), is the rest of the cowl dimensionally the same? Aka, is from firewall->door jamb the same length when viewed from the side (roadster vs coupe/truck), from door to door is a roadster cowl the same width as a truck/coupe cowl when viewed from the drivers seat? Basically the whole car is in peices right now and needs to be assembled, can I assemble it with this and swap it out after for the proper one?

I am just outside of Toronto Ontario. This weekend is Canadian thanksgiving, so I won't be able to make it out to PA.

Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (33.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (27.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0164.jpg (40.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0166.jpg (30.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0170.jpg (62.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0165.jpg (33.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0168.jpg (51.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Charlie Stephens

Ryan,

The doors should have handles (the same ones as a roadster). You should find welded up holes. Your idea of setting up for a fit should work. The holes in the frame are the same, the firewall and gas tank are the same and the hood is the same so I think it is reasonable to assume your idea would work. Remember you won't be able to attach the doors.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote