Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #41
paul2748

Default Re: Ebay sales tax in place

The tax charged is the state where the item is shipped to, not where the item comes from.

ebay is collecting the tax, not the seller. ebay only takes a commission on the total payment. No double charge, at least not on my sales. If you know your state's tax rate, you can check the amount charged for tax.

No matter where you buy an item. if it's a taxable item (some items are not taxable according to your states' law) your going to pay tax either through ebay or if you buy locally. The brick and mortar stores have been arguing this tax issue for years for years and years and finally won in court.

The question comes down to this - can you find the item you need at your local store? At least half the time, it's NO when I am looking for something a little out of the ordinary so the only choices are ebay and Amazon.

Lets face it - we have been getting taxable items free of tax for years, now it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Correct. If its purchased in delaware.
But if i buy online say, California and shipped to delaware they are gonna charge me California sales tax just like if i drove to a California pepboys and bought air fresheners, right?
Question
Is the seller collecting the sales tax or is ebay? And you know how ebay charges a percentage to the seller for what they charge a buyer for shipping(which is a rip off) plus the commission on the sale. Have they figured out a awy to tack on another fee for the sales tax?
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:08 PM   #42
Tinker

Probably why ebay charges tax is that a lot of retailers, big and small, sell items there. I believe as a individual you only have to report year end sales over 10k on ebay to the government.

But if I sold a boat motor locally for $500, I theoretically should show that as income. Guess they get ya coming and going as the taxes on one said item could be paid 15 times! Certainly over 80yrs of the part.

Bitchin' done...
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:12 PM   #43

EBAY is slowly putting themselves under. Sites like Instagram, this site,the HAMB, and many others are taking over.
Most of the stuff I see on EBAY is overpriced junk being peddled by dealers trying to score big from less than knowledgeable buyers.
5,000 dollar coupe doors, 5,500 dollar garnish moldings, high boy '34 trucks for 225,000.,etc. Enough already.

Last edited by 95476; 11-10-2019 at 07:31 PM.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:16 PM   #44
paul2748

You are mistaken about paying tax on a boat sale if you bought the boat with after tax dollars and made no profit on the sale, presuming you are not a dealer and the boat was not used in a business.. Only the profit would be reportable, not the full amount received. Same with a car. And yes, every time that a item changes hands sales taxes are due if the item is taxable - like a car and a boat. - But buyer is responsible for the tax.

If your in business, you have to be registered with the state taxing authorities and in most instances you are required to collect any sales tax from the buyer and remit it to the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Probably why ebay charges tax is that a lot of retailers, big and small, sell items there.

I believe as a individual you only have to report year end sales over 10k on ebay to the government. But if I sold a boat motor locally for $500, I theoretically should show that as income. Guess they get ya coming and going as the taxes on one said item could be paid 15 times!

Bitchin' done...

Last edited by paul2748; 11-09-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:19 PM   #45
paul2748

100 % correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Don't think that is how it works, it is the buyers address (state) that is collecting the tax, not the sellers location. Ebay, etc, is just the go between. The seller that is collecting the tax is ebay on behave of the buyers state and they are the ones who have to pay the state. They are the ones getting screwed over here. They have to handle the transaction without any cut I would guess, just like local merchants.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #46
Tinker

I think it's a mote point really. Someone would have to care about your boat motor and pull your records for the $100 profit. Bigger fish.

On a vehicle sale you get to pay the taxes when you title change.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #47
tubman

"moot", not "mute" (not speaking) or "mote" (a small particle). I know it's trivial, but it's one of the things that really bother me. Mainly because the words can be a bit close in meaning and may tend to confuse some.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:35 PM   #48
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"moot", not "mute". I know it's trivial, but it's one of the things that really bother me. Mainly because the two words can be a bit close in meaning and may tend to confuse some.

Thanks tubman...

mote, like "a mote(small) probability". moot would be "no probability".
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mote

Old 11-09-2019, 10:58 PM   #49
Fordors

If your state charges sales tax then do your homework, see if your place of residence charges an additional amount.
As a resident of Illinois I will pay 6.3%, the state sales tax rate. Beyond that municipalities are permitted to tack on a percentage mandated by state law (within limits) but those additional amounts will not be included in eBay transactions.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #50
35fordtn

I have to admit 70% of my current income is made through my eBay store. I don’t mind one bit that sales tax is charged its only fair and helps the local economies. As tinker mentioned many large businesses sell on their. It’s unfair to a buyer to get a better deal online for a early ford part than that of if they want into a brick and mortar store.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #51
Tinker

too be fair also. Brick and mortar is overhead. Most of startups fail to realize the cost.

Have at it. A world junkyard. Crazy sometimes. If a door handle goes for 1k great, most of the time it sits unsold.

Doesn't mean you'll find everything you what, just another source. Look around!

Last edited by Tinker; 11-10-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #52
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordors View Post
As a resident of Illinois I will pay 6.3%, the state sales tax rate. Beyond that municipalities are permitted to tack on a percentage mandated by state law (within limits) but those additional amounts will not be included in eBay transactions.
Not true. Texas state tax is 6.25%. Local adds in 2%. I pay 8.25% on ebay.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:20 AM   #53
uncle buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Yeah, I understand that. But it's inconsistent with in-person sales - that's why I disagree with the way it's assessed.
The tax is based on point of delivery. If you buy in store and leave with items you pay the local tax where the store is . If you have an item shipped to your home you pay your local sales tax. I have a business and sell and deliver to surrounding areas and have to collect and pay the tax to the districts that I deliver to. At least I get the satisfaction of doing all the collection, accounting and dispersing the funds at my expense.... and hopefully there are no errors that I will be penalized for.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 02:40 AM   #54
redmodelt

If your state does not have a sales tax you will not pay on things you buy on Ebay etc. This a Federal thing because of online sales from big stores which includes Ebay, the states that have sales tax were not getting monies for goods that were bought by people living in that state from another state. The guys that live in Canada but have a US shipping address get charged sales tax if the goods are shipped to state with one. Washington pass a bill that even if I live in Oregon any taxable goods bought in Washington but will be used in Oregon, I still have to pay Washington sales tax. As out of state buyers, we bought a number of items at Allen Shurman's auction and had to pay Washington sales tax.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #55
DavidG

In your example it is based on the long-standing premise of taxation where the goods are received and not a result of a recent change in Washington state tax laws. You received the goods in Washington at the auction and were assessed the sales tax accordingly. Where you ultimately took the goods had no bearing on the imposition of the sales tax.

Hershey veterans know that everything purchased at the swap meet there is subject to Pennsylvania sales tax and has been so for decades. Very few vendors charge for it separately, but the sellers are accountable to the State of Pennsylvania for sales tax on all of their sales of goods physically on site and it is enforced.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #56
Frank Miller

Who collects the tax? Ebay or the seller? I do not use ebay anymore for different reasons but it was getting worse. We used to be able to just communicate with the seller and other bidders for that matter. Pay the seller directly. Then they were forcing us to use paypal. Calculating their own shipping charges.
If I see 3rd gen selling something on ebay I can just contact him directly abd not pay sales tax. Massachusetts has put locks on businesses for failing to pay them sales tax collected. How much luck will they have going to Tennessee and 3rd gen will have to hire someone to calculate and write checks to all those sales tax states he does business with.
New Hampshire borders Massachusetts and it is not uncommon to go there to buy big ticket items. New Hampshire has state run liquor stores on the border for this reason. It's like crossing the border on a major highway and pulling into a rest area.
They tried to get companies with a presence in Massachusetts to collect sales tax from Massachusetts residents doing business there. I believe Town Fair Tire was targeted. Massachusetts lost the case. I think in the end it comes down to automation and what was once not feasible, now is.
As some pointed out some states' tax vary by city or county. Good luck with that, was what I said at one time. Now I guess it will automatically calculate when the zip code is entered.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #57
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtexas View Post
Not true. Texas state tax is 6.25%. Local adds in 2%. I pay 8.25% on ebay.
You are right, and I stand corrected. Effective Jan.1, 2020 eBay will start collecting and disbursing any local sales taxes enacted by municipalities in Illinois.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #58
marko39

Is the tax just on the item purchased or are they adding shipping to the taxable amount?
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #59
Mike51Merc

Just to add more trivia to the bonfire:

Sales tax laws are written as "Sales and Use Taxes". The tax is imposed on where the person USES the item. Crossing state lines to buy products tax-free (and then take them home to your taxed state) is technically a crime sometimes called bootlegging. My state has no tax on food or clothing. Our border areas have many clothing outlet stores that see busloads of people daily.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #60
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

This will stop people from buying on e-bay for sure. At Hershey it not enforce very much.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote