Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #1
Eagle43

Default Flathead Spark Plug Wires

I am new to this forum so let me introduce myself. I just started on my next project, a 1952 Ford F1 PU. This is my first Ford restoration project. Previous to this I have restored a 1930 Essex, a 1926 Chevrolet Touring Sedan and a 1929 Willys Overland Whippet sedan.

The body on this truck is very solid and pretty much rust free. It has only 29,000 miles on the odometer. All the glass is intact and the paint is pretty good considering that it has spent the past 10 to 20 years in the bush. The biggest problem is the motor. Someone has previously done a very poor job of installing a 1963 352 with an automatic transmission. This motor runs really well but I estimate that it will probably fall out after about 100 miles. I'd have to make a new cradle and motor mounts and repair a lot of structural damage to the frame to have any hope of passing an "Out of Province" safety inspection. Also there is not nearly enough clearance between the front of the oil pan and the front axle.

I have a 1951 8BA flathead motor and tranny that came with the deal and I hope to get it running so I can return the vehicle to stock. After a considerable amount of work I have everything free on this block and am starting reassembly. My biggest headache was stuck valves on #2 cylinder. At least one previous owner has obviously worked on this as well and had given up. I think at one point mice lived in this motor and intake #2 was the designated bathroom. This valve was in the closed position and thus very difficult to get loose. It came out in pieces.

I expect that I will have a lot of questions as I slowly restore this vehicle. The first one that comes to mind is the wiring harness. I'll be using 6 Volt. Are copper spark plugs wires needed or will modern ones work such as the cheap ones sold at Rock Auto?
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote