Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
Rex Perry

Default CCPU Rear View Mirror

I have a 1929 CCPU with a date of 3/16/29 on the firewall. I can find no evidence of the installation of a rear view mirror on either "A" pillar or in the cab above the center of the windshield.
My intention is to install external mirrors on the LH and RH side attached to the pillars but I am trying to determine what was used, if anything, originally. Does anyone have any ideas? Did Ford ever build the pickup with hinge mounted mirrors?
Thanks
Rex Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: CCPU Rear View Mirror

Trucks had no inside mirrors as I understand it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #3
SeaSlugs

yes CCPU never had inside mirrors (what are you gonna see out of that tiny window anyways)

They only ever had drivers side mirrors, the location moved a bit over the years. I think originally they were hinge mounted or sun visor hole mounted, then it was moved to the a pillar up high, then I think later on it moved down some. There was never a mirror on the pass side. People have added them though as its just some D nuts in the pillar.

Also should note the spacing between the bolt holes changed somewhere in there too...

Heres info:
http://forums.aa-fords.com/viewtopic...irror&start=15
Old 02-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
CarlG

My '31 CCPU came to me with an inside mirror, probably installed by PO when it was restored in the 80's. I added hinge pin mirrors from Snyder's (http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/truck-hinge-mirror). Description says "for driver's side only", however a little ingenuity and a couple bucks at your hardware store, it works just fine on the passenger side as well.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
1crosscut

Contact Neil Wilson. He has reproduction mirrors for the AA trucks.
http://aafords.com/aafords-contact/
Old 02-22-2017, 01:38 PM   #6
Rex Perry

There are two fastener holes near the top of the pillar but I thought that they were only for the sun visor attachment. Perhaps as SeaSlugs indicated, the mirror was attached there.
The "D" nuts are missing from that location. A little more research is required.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #7
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Perry View Post
There are two fastener holes near the top of the pillar but I thought that they were only for the sun visor attachment. Perhaps as SeaSlugs indicated, the mirror was attached there.
The "D" nuts are missing from that location. A little more research is required.
Thanks
yes all ccpu had sun visors, some trucks used those holes as the mirror mount also (see the link i posted).

I will check my march 29 cab and see if it has mirror mounts or not in the pillar...
Old 02-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
1955cj5

Just like CarlG my 29 ccpu had an inside mirror installed at some point. From the JS I think it came from a 31 so maybe it had been there a long time.

The back window is small so the view may not be panoramic but you can see cars behind pretty well....sure is better than nothing!

I also bought a hinge mirror for the drivers side. In Brattons the hinge mirrors are different for the 28-29's verses the 30-31's....the door hinges changed somewhere along the way...
Old 02-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #9
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Perry View Post
I have a 1929 CCPU with a date of 3/16/29 on the firewall. I can find no evidence of the installation of a rear view mirror on either "A" pillar or in the cab above the center of the windshield.
My intention is to install external mirrors on the LH and RH side attached to the pillars but I am trying to determine what was used, if anything, originally. Does anyone have any ideas? Did Ford ever build the pickup with hinge mounted mirrors?
Thanks
The 82-A closed cab was used on both the A and AA through 6/30. It did not come with a hinge installed mirror. Only the left side had a mirror. At some time in late 1928 to early 1929, D-nuts were added to the hinge pillar and bracket A-17741 was used for the 82-A. If the cab does not have the D-nuts, then bracket A-17737 design 2 would have been use (through March 1929). It was installed at the sun visor using the sun visor mounting screws. This mirror bracket can be installed on both sides (probably a good idea for today's traffic).

The A with 82-A used brackets A-17737 design 2, A-17741 designs 1 and 2. On page E-85 of the RGJS these brackets can be seen. Note that the sun visor mounted A-17737 design 2 bracket requires the A-17727 mirror assembly which clamps to the bracket's swivel ball.

FYI - some better photos of both the bracket and mirror is found at http://sell.aafords.com/aa-parts-for-sale/#82a-ma1 - yes, I have these reproductions for sale.

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com

Last edited by Neil Wilson; 02-22-2017 at 10:25 PM.
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #10
1955cj5

So if there are no pillar holes then the mirror would mount through the same holes as the visor, as in the pictures, using longer screws?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000945.JPG (143.2 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg P1000874.JPG (143.1 KB, 105 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
SeaSlugs

Neil, I'm interested in your correct A-17728 mirror - it says it comes unassembled - what does it take to assemble once painted?

Has anyone added a pillar pass side mirror? How hard is it?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
Rex Perry

Thank you to Mr. Neil Wilson for a precise explanation of the external mirror installation. My cab is a March 1929; the centerline distance for the visor fasteners is 2.12 inch; the threaded block is missing from the LH side.
I believe that my question has been answered.
Thanks to all.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
CarlG

Neil,
Is there a hinge mirror similar to the one Snyder's sells (see link in post #4) with a longer arm?
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
Jim Brierley

I installed an inside mirror in my wide-bed using a sedan bracket. I put it slightly right-of-center so I get a better view. Did that 60 years ago.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #15
Rex Perry

Here are a couple of old pictures.
AA Mirror.jpg

AA Mirror closeup.jpg
Old 02-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #16
wrndln

Rex,
I believe the picture you posted, that I have seen before, was of an early pickup - sometime in 1928. If your pickup had date stamp in mid March 1929, I don't think your pickup would have a visor mounted mirror like in the picture. Your cab without mirror mounting D nuts is a real mystery.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:32 PM   #17
Rex Perry

Rusty,
Neil Wilson provided the following link; http://sell.aafords.com/aa-parts-for-sale/#82a-mbd2
The information contained with this link seems to fit my pickup pretty well. The date on my cab is March 1929 and as we well know Henry was never known to waste anything. I am satisfied.
Rex
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #18
wrndln

Rex,
I didn't know Neil made parts (or had them made) for AA and CCPU's. That is nice to know. The mirror bracket is a little pricey but at least it is available. I have never seen the parts in your link to Neil's website in any model A catalog.
Rusty
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
So if there are no pillar holes then the mirror would mount through the same holes as the visor, as in the pictures, using longer screws?
During the time period when Ford put the mirror bracket at the sun visor, the bolt size was 1/4. Other times (before and after) the bolt size was 3/16.

Yes the longer bolts held both the mirror bracket and sun visor. Note that the bracket has the swivel ball and the mirror has clamping brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror Setup 02 c.jpg (45.2 KB, 59 views)

Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #20
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSlugs View Post
Neil, I'm interested in your correct A-17728 mirror - it says it comes unassembled - what does it take to assemble once painted?

Has anyone added a pillar pass side mirror? How hard is it?
For the A17728 mirror - install the swivel ball using the three screws which hold a clamping plate. Then a cardboard insulator and mirror sets inside of the retainer case. These parts are held in the case with the press fit retainer frame.

To install this mirror on the right side would require installing D-nuts on the right side. I have never tried that. I am fairly sure the D-nuts are available. Both the windshield and side garnish moulding would have to be removed to get to the inside of the hinge pillar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-17728 Mirror Assembly 2b.jpg (50.7 KB, 45 views)