Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-20-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
old28

Default TROG Build On Left Coast

Just starting a long term project of building a TROG racer for the 2017 season at Pismo Beach. I am building from the ground up, 32 B trans that I will install late model gears, next will be putting together a 75-85 HP A motor with a Tod head and 2x2 intake. Will run a model A frame with early front and rear end. This project is more about the "Build" than running the car.

Just got the 32 B trans case & upper flywheel adapter cleaned & painted. Was able to fine a complete lower flywheel cover. Cleaned and lubed the 39 shifter that I will use. Just ordered my new detent balls and springs, clutch shaft bushings and full gasket set.

Still looking for a late model 40-52 Ford trans to pull gears from. Southern Ca area. I have found 2 in Northern CA.

Not a lot to look at but a few pictures of the trans, flywheel adapter and covers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (91.8 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0002.JPG (97.7 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0003.JPG (90.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0004.JPG (93.8 KB, 143 views)
old28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #2
Tiny

Default Re: TROG Build On Left Coast

Looks good. Whats with the extra holes in the B pan? How are you going to deal with the pedals and wishbone? I still plan on going this route for my Coupe so post lots of pics please.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
russcochiolo

Here is a Left Coaster getting ready for the next running. Photos are a week old. The FRESNO BOYS are making progress. More to come......stay tuned!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3066.jpg (74.4 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3075.jpg (68.8 KB, 260 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 05:40 PM   #4
old28

Tiny --I am going with an A motor and an A oil pan. The pc you see with the holes is the bottom section flywheel cover removed from a B oil pan. You need that pc when using a upper B flywheel adapter that bolts straight to a model A block. Going to build bracket for 50-52 ford truck peddles. Split bones all around. Way down the line.

russcochiolo --- Nice looking roadster, what size motor? Will it be there in Pismo Beach this year?
Old 09-20-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Tiny

Yes I have the lower piece or back half of the oil pan already. I was just wondering why all the extra holes in it? Lightening hole?
Old 09-20-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
old28

Tiny -- Most all lower B flywheel covers are cut off, so the holes and metal around them stays with the B pan. The grandfather of the guy I got it from had taken the time to drill out each spot weld and keep the peace in place. Don't know if I will be able to use it as it is.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 PM   #7
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Looks good. Whats with the extra holes in the B pan? How are you going to deal with the pedals and wishbone? I still plan on going this route for my Coupe so post lots of pics please.
Looks like the spot welds were drilled out?
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
russcochiolo

Old28, Yes, the FRESNO BOY'S will be at Pismo.......reservations made and fees paid!
I just got home from the shop with some new photos.
The engine is 200 cu.in. Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3112.jpg (78.7 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3113.jpg (54.2 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3117.jpg (75.5 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3118.jpg (81.8 KB, 188 views)
Old 09-21-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
old28

russcochiolo -- That is a fine looking banger roadster. I've got reservation for F/S/S just to take it all in this year. If you don't mind me asking is the motor a full 4" bore (213" motor? What type/compression ratio is the head? Type trans? I will make sure I look it up in Oct.

Do you know of any 1940-48 Ford/Mer car side load or 50-52 Ford truck top load trans for sale in your area? I need one to get some late model gears to fit my 32B trans case. Tom

Last edited by old28; 09-23-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:27 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You do know that Ryan hosts a Hot Rod and customs forum, correct? Likely a better spot for your post. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:08 AM   #11
russcochiolo

old28, I'm just the photographer and don't know about the engine internals. The FS Ignition, header and intake are visible in the previous fotos. I've heard the FRESNO BOYS talking about 97's, cam and high compression head. I'll ask about the details in the next day or two and get back to you. I've only had my roaster for 2 years and still consider myself a newbie. Russ
Old 09-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #12
Jason in TX

Great looking little roadster! Everything looking great and vintage except for those tall rubber spark plug boots. Why go all that way to be period correct and then not spend the $18 on the spark plug wires. Macs sells a nice little kit...

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...1928-1931.html

Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #13
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Great looking little roadster! Everything looking great and vintage except for those tall rubber spark plug boots. Why go all that way to be period correct and then not spend the $18 on the spark plug wires. Macs sells a nice little kit...

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mo...1928-1931.html

I love that you're so detail oriented. Cloth covered wires would look great on his roadster too
Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
Jason in TX

We Oilers are really a bunch of restorers at heart.

A person restoring a fine point car researches the service bulletins, factory literature, original untouched cars to get his car to be a perfect copy of how it came off the assembly line.

We at The Race of Gentlemen are very similar. We've spent months, or heck, YEARS, squinting at blurry photos, enlarging negatives, pouring over original found cars that were put away in 1951 to see exactly what type of hose clamp was used. What switches were used in the dash. What gauges were offered in a 1948 speed catalog.

Its really just more restoration of producing an exact copy of how a car would have rolled off the salt in 1948.

Hot Rodders can be restorers too. TROG is about bringing your correct restoration and wowing the crowd. This is a different kind of hotrodding folks.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #15
old28

russcochiolo -- Thanks russ, I would just like to compare my motor idea's with what they are running. Carbs on the 3x2 intake will be 94's on mine.

Jason in TX --- Your comments are well taken, but lets not get into a "MY way OR the hIGHWAY" spiel on my build thread. I have followed TROG the last few years over on the other coast and have seen cars that look like they fell out of a 30',40's,50's hot rod magazine and I have seen others run that are someone's idea of what they think they should look like. It's all good, Hot Rodding & Nostalgia Drag Racing for most all of my 76 years I think I have a good idea what TROG is looking for. Lets hope we get lots more support for the Pismo race from others like the "Fresno Guys" Looking Forward to Oct.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 AM   #16
Dodge

Looks like a perfect TROG car, good job guys.
Dodge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #17
Jason in TX

Quote:
Jason in TX --- Your comments are well taken, but lets not get into a "MY way OR the hIGHWAY" spiel on my build thread. I have followed TROG the last few years over on the other coast and have seen cars that look like they fell out of a 30',40's,50's hot rod magazine and I have seen others run that are someone's idea of what they think they should look like. It's all good, Hot Rodding & Nostalgia Drag Racing for most all of my 76 years I think I have a good idea what TROG is looking for. Lets hope we get lots more support for the Pismo race from others like the "Fresno Guys" Looking Forward to Oct.
I'm an Oiler who has sat at the tech table the past 5 TROGs greeting racers as they arrive. I'm the Oiler walking through the pits making sure the racers are happy and having a good time. I'm the Oiler pairing up grudge matches and cheering when the cars come back to the starting line with smiles larger than boomerangs on their faces.

I complimented the car and how great it looks! I made a simple comment on why go all that way and then use some Autozone rubber spark plug wires? I believe I am the one that has a good idea what TROG is looking for since I have been there since the beginning at Wildwood and help put on the event. I'm not saying that car doesn't fit in. I'm saying it looks great and offering a little advise to take it a step further. It's an AWESOME TROG car. You're right. You've been paying attention to the photos online and your experience with nostalgia racing shows. You are going to have a BLAST! I can't wait for you to experience it in person.

This is not just another nostalgic drag race. It's like nothing else that exists right now.
It's a bring your "A" game event, similar to Goodwood. Since you are starting your build now, it's great to keep in mind that there are only so many cars we can line up on the beach, and a lot of people are applying for those spots. I think we had 150 spots this year. Any more and you just wait all day and race once. We want people to be having fun running again and again, until you can't take it anymore. I'm offering insider support, not criticism.

There are going to be some big hitter MUSEUM CETNERPIECE hotrods at this event. Scott Perrott, the owner of the Barney Navarro roadster is pulling Barney's car out of the NHRA museum to run on the beach!! You may have the opportunity to run next to it! How freaking cool is that? His car is restored to the nines. All the right parts. We are honored to having it run on the beach. I look forward to pouring all over Barney's car and the detail and attention they put into every aspect of the restoration. These are just a few cars competing for these limited spots on the west coast.

A few more cars attending Pismo this year...

The 1935 Wetteroth Indy Car

1927 ROOF OHV speedster

1934 Myron Stevens Dirt Track Car, The Holland Special

Oh, here I am waving the racers back into the pits. Look forward to meeting "The Fresno Boys" and complimenting them on such a nice car.

Last edited by Jason in TX; 09-23-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
old28

Jason in TX --- Nice looking cars. I hope that there is still room in TROG for a guy to build a cool home built racer like we did in the early days. A few Big $ Museum cars are fine, but garage/shop built Hot Rods is what I hope will be at Pismo. We will see in OCT.

Now lets get back to the build thread. Still looking for the trans gear set!
Old 09-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
zzlegend

You might have better luck looking for a 40-48 side shift trans. Seems like there are more of them around than top loaders, and they use the same gears sets unless you are looking for open drive. I picked up a 47 side shift and used the internals in 39 top loader case. Keep looking, they are out there. Good luck with it.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #20
old28

zzlegend -- That's what I am looking for, 40-48 side load closed drive or a 50-52 Ford pickup top load open drive. Found one in northern CA, but long drive. Hope to snag one down our way in southern CA.