Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-18-2018, 06:41 PM   #21
47Merc

Default Re: Up-date on 41 front wheel shimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
I've replaced the one piece hub and drum with the hub and drum that can be separated. hope to be able to take the drum's off by them selfs, turn them around backwards, mount on front drums and see if I can find a heavy spot. May so maybe no. Al

If you are going to separate the hubs and drums you will need to get the special tool to cut the swages off the studs to let them come apart. you can't just press them off.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:43 AM   #22
grumppyoldman

The hubs and drums I have are not like the original's they are made to be seperated without cutting the studs free. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:59 AM   #23
Krylon32

When you say steering stabilizer are you talking about one of the VW type hydraulic stabilizers? It should be mounted between the tie rod and wishbone.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #24
grumppyoldman

Yes that's the kind I had on the car, but removed it while trying to find out what all could be wrong causing the shimmy. When the weather let's me I'll change the location of the tire's to see if I can get it better, then maybe re-install the stabilizer if need be. It doesn't have a clamp on the end to fit to the wishbone, another FB'er gave me a place that has the mounting clamp. Al
Old 10-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #25
Tinker

Just for the heck of it. What's your toe out/in settings?

https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/vi...=18&topic=3368

My 38 does 70 with ndt tires and about 1/8" toe in. Set it myself so you know it's accurate.

Last edited by Tinker; 10-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:08 AM   #26
grumppyoldman

The best that I can tell it's 1/8" or 1/4", hard to check by my self. I need another person to hold the tape, I'm measuring the same tread in front and back of tire. I want to set it to 0" and see how that works. I can't get the tape up as high in the rear of the tire because it hits the pan. I'll keep trying different toe in settings and see how it works, Things are getting better. Al
Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #27
ford38v8

Al, a tip on how to set your toe in very accurately: With your car on jack stands, spin each front wheel while holding a white chalk against the treads, followed by an ink pen fine line over the chalk line. This will determine a true line, not wobbly as would the treads themselves often do.

For the actual measurement between tires, a 1" x 2" with a nail in one end and a 6" rule attached to the other works well, supported by a light framework on both sides. I've used just one, but it occurs to me now that if you made two identical, it would avoid the hassle of moving it front to back of tires multiple times till you were satisfied with the adjustment.

Most guys I know set the toe in at 1/8". 1/4" is considerably more than required, and will wear out your tires rapidly.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:26 AM   #28
grumppyoldman

Thanks for the tip, I guess that if I jacked the car up by the frame it would let the axle drop enough to get to the back of the tire better. I had a front alignment shop set the toe in, they et it 1/4" and at 50mph it almost shook the front fenders off. I've set it back some where around 1/8" and it's better. Had all 4 new Coker tires road forced balanced, doing better now. Need to know what the 2 front tires readings were after RFB, the back ones were right side 10#, left side 20#, if I can find out what the front ones are maybe switch them around and get better results. Al
Old 10-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #29
Tinker

Another what the heck. How's your shock setup? It does dampen the suspension.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #30
1931 flamingo

Go back to the front end shop and have them set it at 1/8"??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #31
flatford8

I think you need to have the vehicle weight on the tires to get an accurate measurement.....Mark
“I guess that if I jacked the car up by the frame it would let the axle drop enough to get to the back of the tire better.“
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #32
Talkwrench

I made this and did the toe in myself . no tyre ware [ and my king pins aint good ]
When you have sorted your problem fit a steering damper as cheap insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14425560_10154550348998064_6861750766119187010_o.jpg (42.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #33
SofaKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
I made this and did the toe in myself . no tyre ware [ and my king pins aint good ]
When you have sorted your problem fit a steering damper as cheap insurance.
What does the other end look like? How do you use it? I ask because I used strings against the sidewall like I would have on a motorcycle. I am wondering how the beam is referenced to the vehicle.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:18 PM   #34
grumppyoldman

Weather here is terrible and I can't do anything now,(rain-rain-rain ) is there still a sun? About to go stir crazy. Al
Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #35
grumppyoldman

My dad used a 1" X 1" with finishing nails driven through, sticking out on the other side about 1/2". Marked the front then compared the distance on the back of the tire. It was an old 36 Chevy with hydraulic knee action front end, worst idea GM ever had. All
Old 10-23-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
What does the other end look like? How do you use it? I ask because I used strings against the sidewall like I would have on a motorcycle. I am wondering how the beam is referenced to the vehicle.
Same as described in my post # 27.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #37
Talkwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
Ok from memory I started the string line to get close. But this works by jacking up the wheels spin them and use chalk down the middle and then get a fine nail to score and give you a fine and clean line to work to. next move the car back and roll it forward a few meters [ so the wheels track]. You then slide it too the back the wheels find the line you scored on the tyre. Adjust and put the points right on the lines you've scored on the tyres, lock it off . Now move to the front put one point on one line of a tyre and then you should have your 1/8" or 1/16" [whatever the setting should be ] more on the other tyre so the tyre is in. Adjust to get it, try a few times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14480577_10154550348788064_6817720989665221886_o.jpg (40.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 10-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #38
JSeery
Member Emeritus

delete
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:21 AM   #39
grumppyoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Another what the heck. How's your shock setup? It does dampen the suspension.
The shocks are, or look like they have been rebuilt. They are round huidilla (misspelled) don't know how to set them for best results. The pointer on front shocks turns 360 deg. while the rear ones only turn 180 deg. stop to stop. Still need to adjust them some more to see if that helps. Al
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #40
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumppyoldman View Post
The shocks are, or look like they have been rebuilt. They are round huidilla (misspelled) don't know how to set them for best results. The pointer on front shocks turns 360 deg. while the rear ones only turn 180 deg. stop to stop. Still need to adjust them some more to see if that helps. Al
I had a shock that turned all the way around. Removed it and put it in a vice and adj. until it matched the other side. A side note on adjustments. We were going thru Virginia and seemed like every time we went off a bridge the car swayed badly. Wasn't fun at 75 with a truck in our back window. I got off and thought we needed more shock so adj. the fronts stiffer. Rears were tube shocks. Tried again and no change. Sure was spooky. Got home and got thinking and decided maybe we had too much shock and adj. the fronts back. It took a few tries but solved the problem. Too stiff shocks and the car wants to follow the dips in the road instead of the suspension doing it's job.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote