Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
oldford2

Default Vendors on the forum

There was a poster on here earlier that said his Email was down and asked to PM him for communications. Then someone called him out for using the forum to conduct his business and was not very polite about it. I think Ryan saw where this thread was going so it disappeared.
Now, some of our most valuable help comes from guys that also are "vendors" (transmissions, electrics, carbs, mechanical parts). You know who they are. They all are first to jump in and help folks with a problem. Sometimes they will have a part needed and will advise so. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. JMO
John

Last edited by oldford2; 09-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
mfagan

Default Re: Vendors on the forum

Amen!!
mfagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Rowdy
BANNED

There are some such people who having running grudges with certain vendors and go out of their way to make things difficult. Others on the forum who seem to have something against anyone that has anything for sale. Just an observation. Rod
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
....... Others on the forum who seem to have something against anyone that has anything for sale. Just an observation. Rod
So, what do you figure that "SWAP MEET" section might be intended for? DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
ken ct
BANNED

Thanks Rod,the complainer is probebly one of those you mention. ken ct. and John too.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
ken ct
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
So, what do you figure that "SWAP MEET" section might be intended for? DD
Maybe he CANT read. ken ct.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
KiWinUS

That would mean he "CANT" read or "REBUILD"
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Mike B

I've no issues with the helpful vendors who might add "I carry those parts", etc., when replying to a post.

In fact because of one helpful vendor here, I just ordered a bit over 100 bucks of parts for my '42 from him...Had he just been a "Vendor-Name" and never provided help/advice, I'd have ordered from one of the dozens of others who offer the the same parts.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

There are quite a few very helpful folks frequenting this site that most of us know to also vend a service or product. Yet, I only know of one vendor on this site that frequently and repeatedly uses this site as an opportunity to PROMOTE alternative avenues (Ryan's free PM privilege) of contact for his professional ($$$) services, such as when his personal e-mail goes awry. I'm pretty sure Ryan didn't design the PM part of this place to help sustain personal revenue (business) for the users of this forum. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Hey coopman go fly your plane. Good by your going to the ignore list ,ive had enough of your complaining. ken ct
Old 09-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
gkgeiger

On the HAMB they have a vendor section, it's called HAMB O'Dex. Maybe Ryan would start one?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkgeiger View Post
On the HAMB they have a vendor section, it's called HAMB O'Dex. Maybe Ryan would start one?
I asked Ryan about doing that on this forum and he said it would happen. That was over two years ago. Still have his PM.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
TStiles

Gene,
IMO, this forum needs no changes. It is by far the most civil and helpful forum going. All of us benefit tremendously from the free counsel that is provided by experts. If they became experts by being in the "business", then why should we care? It's to our advantage to have them on this forum.
TStiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #14
GSCOV

Ryan should set up the Ford Barn just like he did the HAMB. People can not post on an item for sale. They have to contact the seller or the "wanter" for that matter. I thought it a bad idea a couple of years ago, but it is brilliant. It eliminates the back and forth bickering and a place to piss and moan. My 8 cents worth.
GSCOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
gkgeiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStiles View Post
Gene,
IMO, this forum needs no changes. It is by far the most civil and helpful forum going. All of us benefit tremendously from the free counsel that is provided by experts. If they became experts by being in the "business", then why should we care? It's to our advantage to have them on this forum.
Tim,
I certainly wasn't complaining, this is my go to spot when I need help, and I've needed a lot. On the other hand, when I need parts or services I don't always know where to go. My entire career was in the car business and I have a lot of local connections but can't always find what I need locally. I have used the O'Dex on the HAMB for certain items and have been pleased.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #16
Willit Stop

Ken Ct, 5,330 posts. Now, that's impressive! I've read most of them and I'd like to thank you for sharing your knowledge.If not for you,Bubba's and several others,I would've spent a small fortune in towing and repair bills.Wouldn't it be interesting to know just how many people you've helped? So far,I've not needed to order parts from you but it's a good thing to know that you have them available. Once again, thanks. Gene
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 AM   #17
uncle max

uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #18
ken ct
BANNED

Thanks Gene and UM your funny LOL ken ct.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #19
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree there, chasing things down scattered between E-mails, PM's and on the thread itself gets agrivating. I changed my settings awhile ago to not receive e-mails from people on Fordbarn as I already get an e-mail notification when I receive a PM. So far it is working out well. Rod
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #20
Model A Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken ct View Post
Hey coopman go fly your plane. Good by your going to the ignore list ,ive had enough of your complaining. ken ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willit Stop View Post
Ken Ct, 5,330 posts. Now, that's impressive! I've read most of them and I'd like to thank you for sharing your knowledge.If not for you,Bubba's and several others,I would've spent a small fortune in towing and repair bills.Wouldn't it be interesting to know just how many people you've helped? So far,I've not needed to order parts from you but it's a good thing to know that you have them available. Once again, thanks. Gene
I've got no beef with Ken Ct or with anybody on this forum for that matter.But it doesn't appear that someones post count is a true and accurate sign of how much positive info that they have shared along the way.Seriously guys I think its time for some to act there age and show a little respect. This is coming from a guy with less then 50 posts

Bill
Model A Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #21
Shadetree

I met Ken in person a few years ago at Hershey. We were both members of the old Fordbarn. I had dropped a floor jack on my foot the week before. (Never, ever carry one by the handle!) I introduced myself to Ken and he offered me a chair. It was good to get the pressure off that foot. As we sat and talked someone walked up and needed a small carburetor part. Not having the part with him, he took the part from a complete, already rebuilt carburetor, rendering it unsalable and sold it to the buyer. That impressed me. He could have said I'll mail you the part and you pay the postage or I'll sell you a complete carburetor. This speaks volumes for Ken. That has left an impression with me to this day.

I think Ken's intentions were not to take advantage of the system but to let his customers know of his situation.

Bud Reynolds
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #22
OLD...BILL

Hey Ken; Glad your there, and will do business again, you did a quick turn around so I could go to Tahoe, and back again, I said thanks then and I say thanks again. Then you balled me out for having a 24 stud engine where a 21 stud should be, and I was putting a glass bowl fuel pump where it should not be, and I would need to change the fuel line. and I assured I could bend copper, I though it was funny, but it just Ken being helpful... thanks again, I read the barn daily, and condenser the members here as FAMILY .... to bad we haft to have a "brother-in-law" or two...... OLD....BILL
OLD...BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #23
37 Coupe

Then count me as a "brother-in-law",my expieriences near not as rosy and I am sure a lot more expensive.Sorry I have been biting the bullet on this post for a day. The subject of the post should not be vendors but vendor,I have had good transactions with most except one and this goes back to the old Fordbarn 7-8 years ago. I have said it before,he is not a true hobbyist.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #24
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
Then count me as a "brother-in-law",my expieriences near not as rosy and I am sure a lot more expensive.Sorry I have been biting the bullet on this post for a day. The subject of the post should not be vendors but vendor,I have had good transactions with most except one and this goes back to the old Fordbarn 7-8 years ago. I have said it before,he is not a true hobbyist.
I too have been biting my lip. Now, I feel it time to join in...
The amount of posts is little reflection of the poster. Read the 5000+ posts and one will easily see MANY are to the effect "leave it to a professional" or " you plainly have no clue what you are doing". The list goes on and on and include many that are simply rude and very condescending. A number of them contain out right untruths that when cornered publicly get the typical "change the subject" reply or ask Ryan to delete the entire thread.
While I have purchased numerous fuel pumps from one said individual. Three out of five were poop. Plus, all five were painted, hardly "restored" by any close definition.
Hey, I am glad a few folks have been treated right by this particular person. Good for you guys. However, there are many stories that like another member had posted that simply were not "rosy".
Old 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #25
ford38v8

So, to some, vendors on the Barn are not welcome. To some Vendors, making yourself known to have the part or service available is an important part of doing business. To some posters that happen also to be vendors of parts or services, "Do as I say, not as I do" seems to be the message. I think we're all guilty of geting old and crotchety, a case of the pot calling the kettle black?

Get over it and move on!
Old 09-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
Vic Piano

Hey Kube, I've had both good and bad parts with Ken however; he lost my support when he trashed my "What I did on My Lunch Hour" thread (when one of his posts got pulled, some time ago)... I wasn't going to post anything on this thread until I read your response, it sounded like you were talking about some (maybe most) of your post, example; "You plainly have no clue what you are doing,(Vapor Lock) and many that are simply rude and very condescending"… Talk about the pot calling the kettle black… LOL. Now, don’t go getting all upset and post one of your usual vile, vulgar, rude and very condescending post in response. You can simply thank me for pointing out the similarities between what you accuse Ken of and what you do as well… By the way, have you taken any road trips in one of your Flatheads lately? I hope you are enjoying yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #27
trainguy

why can't we just get along!(Rodney King)
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #28
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
why can't we just get along!(Rodney King)
Because we're all crotchety smelly old farts that haven't anything better to do than to bad mouth others.

I wonder why it's so damn hard to atract younger guys to the hobby?
Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #29
trainguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
Because we're all crotchety smelly old farts that haven't anything better to do than to bad mouth others.

I wonder why it's so damn hard to atract younger guys to the hobby?
Now that's sad,because life is so short that we waste it on this crap!
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Rowdy
BANNED

I agree, but it would suprise most how much behind the scenes bs happens. Most of it is not made public. I have been selling NOS and good used parts for nearly 15 years now and have seen more of it than I ever thought existed. Rod
Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
I agree, but it would suprise most how much behind the scenes bs happens. Most of it is not made public. I have been selling NOS and good used parts for nearly 15 years now and have seen more of it than I ever thought existed. Rod
Rowdy, I for one and am sure most others would be up a creek without a paddle without the suppliers we love to badmouth. You guys keep the hobby alive and well, whether or not we're ready to admit it. Keep a stiff upper lip and consider the source please, we need youse guys!
Old 09-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #32
49fordv8f4

On a sort of related subject. I am relatively new to the forum. I noticed that the first two posts that I replied to were removed shortly after I posted. I replied to one post that was asking about running a 6v heater motor on 12v and I replied with a web address to a vendor were I got the one I used on my truck. The other I gave an address and phone number to a company that rebuilds power brake boosters. Did I break a rule here by posting these or were they simply removed by the OP? I would like to continue to participate here, but I don't want to break any rules or cause problems. There is a lot of good info here and I enjoy reading the forum.
Thanks, Mark Poley
49fordv8f4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4 View Post
On a sort of related subject. I am relatively new to the forum. I noticed that the first two posts that I replied to were removed shortly after I posted. I replied to one post that was asking about running a 6v heater motor on 12v and I replied with a web address to a vendor were I got the one I used on my truck. The other I gave an address and phone number to a company that rebuilds power brake boosters. Did I break a rule here by posting these or were they simply removed by the OP? I would like to continue to participate here, but I don't want to break any rules or cause problems. There is a lot of good info here and I enjoy reading the forum.
Thanks, Mark Poley
Mark...I can think of NO etiquette or "rule" violations regarding the two posts you mention above, nor can I answer as to what may have happened to cause them to disappear. Keep on pluggin'-away. Usually a great place to be...welcome aboard! DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
RKS.PA

I have to agree with Tim Stiles above! I may be wrong, but I doubt that any of the people who post here are making a fortune by being a service to the rest of us! And, this comes from a guy with less than 30 posts, even though I've been a member since 2010 and learned an incredible amount by reading!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #35
FL&WVMIKE

There are two types of professional vendors on here.
Those who toot their own horn, at every chance, and
Those who don't, because of the integurity issue.
I can name names of both types, as many others could too.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
DD931

There are a variety of folks on the Ford Barn who sell things or offer services. Some as a hobby, some as a real business, some just to make some pocket money. Just because someone may have a part or service that could help the original poster doesn't mean he/she is a horrible person. From my view, quite the contrary! We have ignition folks, carburetor folks, transmission folks, etc. Isn't that where a lot of experience resides? Each of us has to evaluate any response on its own merits. Caveat emptor! I think the learned responses from involved vendors is a real advantage to the Barn. JMHO.
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
uncle buck

Get over it and let this thread go away...............
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #38
37coop

I,m pretty new to this and I think some are thinking too deeply , I care not who gives me help when I need it and also I don't care who it is I can help ....be gratefull we have something as fantastic as the barn ...onwards and upwards ,cheers jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #39
Ol' Ron

Just think, How many people Bubba has helped?? Enough said.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 PM   #40
37 Coupe

You guys just don't get it,it was never about vendors.The post should have led with vendor,singular not plural.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Just think, How many people Bubba has helped?? Enough said.
You're absolutely right, but Bubba is ethical enough NOT to use this forum to re-post his business phone number, or to suggest using Ryan's PM's every time his e-mail service goes down the toilet. This has nothing to do with the great ADVICE shared by all the vendors. 99% of the vendors present here are discreet enough not to use this site to actively promote personal business. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #42
Mike B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Coupe View Post
You guys just don't get it,it was never about vendors.The post should have led with vendor,singular not plural.
Then it should have been taken up with the owner of the site, not a public display of dissatisfaction with an individual.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #43
Rowdy
BANNED

I knew who this was directed at when the post was made. The morning prior I seen a glimps of a running battle posted, then it was deleted quickly. I assumed it was isolated between just those 2, but can see it is alittle bigger. Hopefully this is the last that is made public and those involved can handle it between themselves. I am sure something can be done to make things right. JMHO. Rod