Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
FL&WVMIKE

Default Re: Adding old timey blinkers to my Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roffeman View Post
Ha, I say that about a lot of stuff. Swap meets or that auction site will get you back in business. I love the design of your blinker assembly.

FWIW: I did the following on my model A hot rod. It did not lend itself too well to fog lights and I refuse to put little motor-cycle blinkers on my cars.

So...I used the front head lights as blinkers. The low beam was blinking during the day (lights off) and the headlight was interrupted via a relay when they were on. One could do the same thing with the fog lights as you may want to use the fogs while driving.

Most of our cars did not even come with blinkers so I think any solution to alert soccer-mom in the three ton Suburban (on the cell phone) that you are turning in her path with your precious collector car is worth it. Phew, that was a long sentence...

Anyway, it takes four relays to do this, I may be able to draw up the wiring if anyone is interested. I don't know if these relays are available in 6V.
ROFFEMAN .............
Headlights as blinkers. Never thought or heard of that. Good thinking.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
gmc1941

One of the problems with add on turn signals is their not canceling. So I added a mini buzzer in the circuit. That was great till your stuck at a traffic light. By pulling a small,piece of tape on the buzzer you can control the volume. Works for me.....

Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.
gmc1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #23
Bill S

Roffeman. Please show the drawing.

Thanks
Bill S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
flatheadfan

I tried using fog lights for front turn signals on my '35 and to be honest, they were hard to detect during the day due to the power draw through 16-18 gauge wiring. As a suggestion, I would keep the bulb size small (avoid 6" fog lights) and run a relay (with 12-14 connecting gauge wiring), to each bulb to get a brightness that can be seen.

Others may have had better luck than me but, the problem I found with using integrated parking lights or low beams for turn signals is their practicability at night with the headlights on borders on nil.

Finally, as I recall, turn signal switch hardware found on '60s VW were very popular at one time for mounting column turn signals. They looked like they were factory-made for early Fords.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:43 AM   #25
Roffeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill S View Post
Roffeman. Please show the drawing.

Thanks
It's in my head, give me some time...
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
I tried using fog lights for front turn signals on my '35 and to be honest, they were hard to detect during the day due to the power draw through 16-18 gauge wiring. As a suggestion, I would keep the bulb size small (avoid 6" fog lights) and run a relay (with 12-14 connecting gauge wiring), to each bulb to get a brightness that can be seen.

Others may have had better luck than me but, the problem I found with using integrated parking lights or low beams for turn signals is their practicability at night with the headlights on borders on nil.

Finally, as I recall, turn signal switch hardware found on '60s VW were very popular at one time for mounting column turn signals. They looked like they were factory-made for early Fords.

Tom
I found these 6" flog lights on ebay. They are the bulb and socket type.
New sockets to hold modern 1157 12v bulbs were a snug fit in the reflectors after the original sockets were removed. They are very visible as parking/signal lights.

Last edited by 40cpe; 05-25-2014 at 09:20 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:30 PM   #27
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL&WVMIKE View Post
I have this project to complete. I recently found this after market, art-deco looking turn signal switch, which has the original paint, and it is a very good match to the original paint on my 1935 FORD dash-board.
It looks almost factory.
I, also, sold a small set of vintage fog lights, which would have been perfect for this set up. Sure wish that I had not sold them !
MIKE

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
wow ,I just love them ,they would look great on my 37 zephyr coupe (right hand drive ), I,v never seen anything like that over here in the u.k ,I,m not saying there isn't anything similar here I,v just never seen them.a friend shipped over here a southwind gas car heater ,just like the front of a streamline train,thinking of one for the Lincoln , cheers , jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #28
flatheadfan

40cpe-

What you are doing for front turn signals is the ideal way of doing it. When I was referring to 6 inch fog lights I should have specified the more common seal beam types. They need the heavier wiring and a relay(s) to get the full advantage of them. Especially, when using the typical add-on column turn signal switch with its' 16-18g wiring.

Tom
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #29
Flathead37

For what it's worth.... I used the ones made by "Ticking Thru Time". They run a hidden switch and have an audible beep so you don't leave them on. Worked great on my 37 and will use them on my 33.
Flathead37 is offline   Reply With Quote