Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #1
darcarter

Default 1929 fordoor rear bumper to body brackets

My 1929 Murray bodied fordoor has new wood, rear bumper brackets from a ? and no bumper brackets-to-body stands. A previous post thought they had 3" bumper bracket-to-body stands but I couldn't find anywhere the distance of the brackets to the frame (I have to drill the holes). Can anyone give me the distance from the frame (flat part next to the spring) and the hole in the bottom of the body (where the bumper bracket stand attaches to it) for a 1929 Murray fordoor? Also can anyone confirm the heigth of the bracket stand from the hole in the bumper bracket to the bottom of the body? I'm not sure I have the correct bumper brackets. Thanks greatly, I am frustrated.
darcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Farrell In Vancouver

Default Re: 1929 fordoor rear bumper to body brackets

DarCarter, I am sorry I do not have the car you have built but I have some questions, (like you need that). Do the bumper brackets you are using have any holes for the bracket stand rivets? If so, with the bumper bar bolted to the frame, and body mounted, you should be able to measure from center of the rivet hole to the bottom of the body, to establish Stand hieght. I had fun and fits with this on my Dad's 29 Tudor, as the bumber arms had at least three holes drilled in them at different points along the line where the stand rivets live. Ended up with the wrong stands and replaced them with the right ones. Determining the correct hole for the stands was easy once in place.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
darcarter

Unfortunately, The car is in Washington State and I am in MIssissippi. My brother recently acquired the car (from another brother) and I am trying to help him out. I will be up there in a couple of weeks and wanted to have the right parts in place. He says there is a hole in only one bumper bracket. Also a previous post a while back says the holes are in different places for different body styles (and therefor different length bumper bracket to body stands). If I know the length of the proper stand, I will know where to drill any holes in the bumper bracket. Thanks for your response.
Darrel Carter
darcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Marco Tahtaras

Darrel,

"He says there is a hole in only one bumper bracket" doesn't make any sense since they all had a post which required a hole. I believe the 155-A used the shortest post, placed the furthest forward of all the rear bumper arms. I know that doesn't help much but it gives you an idea. Similarly, the pic below is of limited use as it doesn't show the mounting holes. However they are just behind the rear seat riser which is why they can't be seen.

Lastly, you will find it quite a chore to drill through the bumper arms. They are very good spring steel.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
SteveB31

They DID use a 3 inch riser.

I have, at the store, several sets of those rear bumper braces. Email me at the store, and I will measure a pair for you.

Steve Becker
Berts Model A Center
[email protected]
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote