Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
Bill O'Brien

Talking Stainless Muffler - AMuffler

I had purchased a discount muffler off of Ebay. Cost $100 bucks and was worth about $20... the bends were terrible and the overall quality was disappointing.

There was no way I was going to install that muffler on my A! Mind you I spent a fair amount of $$$ on a brand new exhaust manifold and getting the manifold Jet Hot coated.

So... off to Snyders I went! I bought their stainless steel muffler for $290. Wow!! Waht a piece of art work! The name of the manufacturer is 'AMuffler'

http://www.amuffler.com/content/home_muffler.htm

I did not like that the muffler was a shiny stainless steel. So... a few hours of sanding later and I have a beautiful satin finish muffler!

It is supposed to add a few hp over a low cost design muffler so that is a good thing!

Interesting... AMuffler recommends that you do not tighten the clamp that holds the muffler to the frame. Infact they sell a clamp that has a bit of insulation to mitigate any rattling.

I will have to slip under the A and take a few pictures... it really is an amazing looking exhaust!!!
Bill O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #2
Bruce Adams

Default Re: Stainless Muffler - AMuffler

ALL Model A tail pipe clamps must be loose to allow movement fore and aft with heating and cooling to keep the manifold to exhaust pipe connection correct and to help prevent warping. Aries just supplies their own clamp to allow for their slightly larger tail pipe.
Good luck !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I find it interesting the differences between what we see here and in the service bulletins.

Example in the service bulletins it says under "New muffler outlet pipe clamp";
"To hold the muffler outlet pipe more rigidly and insure a tighter clamp on the pipe"

This does not seem to indicate, to me at least, that the clamp on ALL Model A tail pipe clamps should be loose.

One more example would be tightening of the head nuts,

"The nuts should be tightened with the engine thoroughly warmed up."

Anyone know of any others?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
Tinker

Is that the "performance" muffler they sell? How does it sound?
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Bruce

Note plastered to the Aries muffler insists that the rear clamp be loose. Put it on tight and void the warrenty. As I recall, the warning suggests that the rigid mount would allow those dastardly A vibrations to have at the muffler/pipe welds.
However, when I took off the clamp that had held the old exhaust on the car for decades (carriage bolt with square hole in top of clamp and a square nut on bottom), I found it to be a tight fit on the Aries tailpipe just to start the first thread. A new in-the-plastic "original" clamp was tight, too. It had a hex bolt with a castle nut and cotter pin. It was even tighter! I checked 'em both against the vetern muffler. Same snug fit. So I checked in the parts bucket and found an obviously-not-for-fine-judging clamp. It has a considerably larger ID and provides a rattling good fit and plenty of expansion/contraction clearance. Zoom zoom rattle rattle!
Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
ALL Model A tail pipe clamps must be loose to allow movement fore and aft with heating and cooling to keep the manifold to exhaust pipe connection correct and to help prevent warping. Aries just supplies their own clamp to allow for their slightly larger tail pipe.
Good luck !
Unfortunately this pertains to the Aires muffler only due to breakage issues. There were no such problems with the original mufflers. If the original clamp was left loose it would produce an unacceptable rattle.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #7
Bruce Adams

THANKS
I have been going to lengths to insure there is some fore and aft movement in my tail pipe after being told to do that by a very knowledgeable Model A mechanic.
FWIW
Bratton Catalog, page 34, Original Tail Pipe Clamp and Castle Nut "Tighten nut to the cotter pin hole, stop. This is to allow room for expansion."
This kind of supports what I ws told, but I will keep listening.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
Kevin in NJ

Bratton's will also tell you the wrong size for the steering sector and the wrong ID of year for the Emergency brake linings. They have a good story on the Ebrake too.

They will also sell you a Vintique kit for the 68C door post that has no parts that fit the 68C, heck I am not sure if any of the parts are even fit a Ford.

They also do not seem to want to fix the catalog since I informed Walt and his employees years ago and the catalog has not changed.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #9
TinCup

Marco can you use pictures of dirty cars. It will be easier for me to relate.
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post

Unfortunately this pertains to the Aires muffler only due to breakage issues. There were no such problems with the original mufflers. If the original clamp was left loose it would produce an unacceptable rattle.
The underside of your car is disgustingly beautiful.
On my back scrubbing in WV.
dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Dusty

So... off to Snyders I went! I bought their stainless steel muffler for $290. Wow!! Waht a piece of art work! The name of the manufacturer is 'AMuffler'

I to have the stainless muffler and it is a work of art, almost a shame to stick under the car.

dusty
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Robert Putnam

Those stainless mufflers are amazing. A friend of mine got one a couple of days ago...... the whole darn thing was more shiny than his rad shell !!!! Wowsers !
Robert Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #13
Bill O'Brien

Talking Re: Stainless Muffler - AMuffler

I have the regular stainless and not the performance muffler. Looking forward to starting the A up in a week or so to see how she sounds... with my new Snyders 5.5 head...
Bill O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 PM   #14
Lawrie

I debated buying a new muffler from snyders,but instead bought one made locally,
What a piece of junk,after 3000klms the baffle came loose, I cut it open to weld it up and think that the best place for it is in the bin,
I should have got one of the stainless ones from Snyders. my old one was from them and it lasted 12 yrs
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote