Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Swap Meet > For Sale > Early V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
30AAFord

Default FOR SALE: 1930s/1940s Holmes Chariot-style Wrecker Bed

City: Worcester
State: MA
Price: 1200

SUPER RARE Holmes 460 “chariot-style” wrecker body with teardrop fenders. Hard to find surviving examples of these – especially in New England (nearly every one I looked at prior to finding this one was rusted out beyond repair). I searched for nearly 3 years to find one for a 1933 “Model BB” Ford 1.5 ton truck. The project has taken a different direction however and I no longer need the body.

Holmes has been making tow truck systems since 1916. This 460 body has rounded headboard and, along with the chariot-style side panels, gives the wrecker bed a great art-deco look that would look fantastic on any late 1930s, 1940s or early 1950s truck. The tear drop rear fenders are rough, but workable. The bed itself is solid – previous owner did some quality metal work on the lower panels and the entire structure of the body is sound. The square holes in the floor of the bed are to accommodate the towing system (boom, winch, etc.). If you wanted to use the body as a pickup bed, these could be decked over. The previous owner had this mounted on a WWII-era Dodge Power Wagon. Custom bed mounts could be made to attach it to a variety of vintage truck frames.

Along with the bed and fenders, I have two of the “bullet style” end caps for the side panel hand rail systems, and the Holmes lever plates which secure to the back of the side panels. The bed fits easily on a standard 6.5’ X 16’ car carrier or utility trailer. Bed is located in Central Massachusetts. I have a boom and can assist with loading on your trailer.

Pictures available upon request.

Price is $1200, cash only.
30AAFord is offline   Reply With Quote