Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #1
Bruno

Default 6 volt Batteries

Do any of you know of a 6 volt battery with higher cranking amps (CCA) than a red-top Optima at 800 CCA????
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Mike51Merc

Default Re: 6 volt Batteries

Just curious---- why do you need so much capacity?

NAPA Commercial has a 950, but it's as big as a house and costs $154

Last edited by Mike51Merc; 10-27-2014 at 10:21 AM.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Sixseven

Beware of the Optima reputation as the company ownership has changed and manufacturing moved to Mexico. I have a 10 year old Optima that is not tendered and works great. Friends with new ones say move on to another brand.
Sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #4
FortyNiner

Optima batteries were and are produced by Johnson Controls - no change of ownership. They have factories scattered about to minimize freight costs. Can't speak to any changes in performance.
FortyNiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
tubman

Lots of discussion of this on the H.A.M.B. if anyone is interested. Personally, I'd be very careful and check everything (including the warranty) before buying.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Gumpy

I used to sell batteries ,,,and the old rule of thumb was one CCA per cubic inch.....for a 289 motor with no ac you need about 300 CCA,, 800 cca's is alot! Gump
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
jkeesey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumpy View Post
I used to sell batteries ,,,and the old rule of thumb was one CCA per cubic inch.....for a 289 motor with no ac you need about 300 CCA,, 800 cca's is alot! Gump
I agree with Gumpy here. Ive used many a small tractor battery for running v8s. Ive actually got one in my race car right now starting an 8ba. If you are looking because of starting troubles you may want to look elsewhere.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeesey View Post
I agree with Gumpy here. Ive used many a small tractor battery for running v8s. Ive actually got one in my race car right now starting an 8ba. If you are looking because of starting troubles you may want to look elsewhere.
I'll have to go the other way. I needed a battery quick once for my '51 club coupe. The only battery available on short notice was a group 1 with 425 CCA. From the time I installed it, I had a hard time starting the car when it was warm. Cleaned grounds and replaced a few components to no avail. Finally put in a proper sixed 725 CCA battery and have never had a problem since. There was a reason Ford engineers designed these cars with group 2 and 2L batteries instead of group 1.

I don't doubt that a smaller battery might work in a race car where everything is out in the open, but when your car is sitting on hot asphalt on a 95 degree day and you run into the store for something, you might appreciate the extra CCA's when you come out. It got to the point that I would always open the hood when I parked the '51; people thought I was wowing them with my stock engine. It actually was the only way I was sure it would start.

Last edited by tubman; 10-27-2014 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Usual typing mistakes
Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Mike51Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I'll have to go the other way. I needed a battery quick once for my '51 club coupe. The only battery available on short notice was a group 1 with 425 CCA. From the time I installed it, I had a hard time starting the car when it was warm. Cleaned grounds and replaced a few components to no avail. Finally put in a proper sixed 725 CCA battery and have never had a problem since. There was a reason Ford engineers designed these cars with group 2 and 2L batteries instead of group 1.

I don't doubt that a smaller battery might work in a race car where everything is out in the open, but when your car is sitting on hot asphalt on a 95 degree day and you run into the store for something, you might appreciate the extra CCA's when you come out. It got to the point that I would always open the hood when I parked the '51; people thought I was wowing them with my stock engine. It actually was the only way I was sure it would start.
Are you saying the OP needs more than 800?
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
tubman

Not at all, but he should have at least what the car came with from the factory, and a little more can't hurt.