Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
Stoker280

Default Tire question for 1953 F250

I am thinking about putting tubes in a set of 17 inch tubeless tires to use on a 1953 F250 I am restoring. I cannot find tubeless rims to fit the large hubs on that truck. The rims are ok and not split rims. I figure I am not driving it far or fast so I am looking for some advice. I know you should not put tubes in tubeless tires but I have an old set of tires already that fit the rims so I figured why not. Unless someone knows of a set of rims that would fit that truck. It’s all original.
Stoker280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 06:51 PM   #2
truckdog62563

Default Re: Tire question for 1953 F250

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but your 17” wheels are not one piece. They are two piece style having the widow maker Firestone RH-5° style outer rims. There was no one piece rim made back then in the 17” size. Do a Google Images search of the trade name for pictures. There are several replacement options.

Easiest is to find a set of 16” wheels that were optional in 1953, or any set of 16” F-250 wheels in a yard. The originals will accept your stock hub caps, others maybe not.

Next is to find a set of 17.5” tubeless Budd #70720 or #73240 wheels. These would take some looking. They were optional on F-250s beginning in 1956.

Then there is the Budd #71410 that is a 19.5”. These will be harder yet to find but are the best replacement because the 8R19.5” tire is close in diameter to your 7.50-17” at about 34” tall.

Next option is to have a custom set of 17” wheels built using your original center discs remounted into new tubeless rims. Several I’ve heard from did this using new 17” x 7” rims. Wider than your stock widow makers 5.50” width, but they can be made to look original by balancing the offset front to back. These would use your stock 7.50-17” tires.

Last is to find a set of newer Dodge 17” wheels. Dodge used the 8 x 6.5” bolt pattern up to current years. I’m away from my books right now so can’t cite numbers, but several have done this. These too are wider than stock and iirc are best used with thin spacers to yield proper spacing. These won’t look stock and won’t let you use your hub caps. All the other options I mentioned allow use of your stock hub caps.

Edit : thinking more on this I’m puzzled why the hubs won’t accept wheels you’ve attempted. A 1953 F250 has 12” Bendix rear brakes that will accept the 16s I mentioned. Unless some prior owner swapped in an earlier Timken having the Lockheed 14” drums. Then my comments about 17s above will make more sense. Stu

Last edited by truckdog62563; 07-24-2021 at 07:26 PM.
truckdog62563 is offline   Reply With Quote