Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Having Trouble with my Charging system

I had my Generator rebuilt and when I got it back still not charging. I replace the Votage Regulator At idle the generator light just blink fast and when I rev. it up the light went out. Later I had no light at all, even with the switch on? I took the Votage Regulator back to Advance Auto Parts and they replace it. I put the new one on and the same thing. So I took both the Generator and Votage Regulator to Ed Generator to have both of them tested. Generator ok but Votage Regulator no good? Now he wants me to bring a new Votage Regulator to him to see if it any good before I put it on the car. He thinks it could be the wiring on the 56 T-Bird. Now if I give you the color of the wires to the Batt., Field, Arm. can any of you see if I am correct on the wiring. Here goes Double Yellow Wire to Batt., Black & White to Field, Yellow & One skinny Yellow & Black Wire and a double yellow & Black wire to Arm. I hope you can help mr to see if I am correct.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Having Trouble with my Charging system

Did you polarize the Generator before testing it in the car?
With the battery & wiring all hooked up; take the Field wire off of its terminal on the voltage regulator, quickly touch it to the Battery terminal then reconnect it to the Field terminal.
Start the car and check the voltage to the battery at hi idle. Should be approx 14 volts.

The Gen (and Oil) light should come on when you first turn the key on.
Here's a generator to voltage regulator wiring diagram...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator voltage regulator wiring, yellow.jpg (42.1 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-15-2020 at 11:11 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:31 AM   #3
Old Redneck

Thank you that what I need is the print out of the wiring to the Votage Regulator. The Gen and oil light comes on when I turn the key on. Today I am taking the Votage Regulator back and get new one and take it to Ed Generator so he can check it against the generator. I am not to put the Votage Regulator on the car until he checks it out. He yoinks its nay be in the wiring??
Old 05-15-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
Thank you that what I need is the print out of the wiring to the Votage Regulator. The Gen and oil light comes on when I turn the key on. Today I am taking the Votage Regulator back and get new one and take it to Ed Generator so he can check it against the generator. I am not to put the Votage Regulator on the car until he checks it out. He yoinks its nay be in the wiring??
The diagram above should show what you need. There are electrical equipment installation books available but the diagram for the generator & its regulator is effectively the same as above.
The voltage regulator terminals should be labeled, but the generator terminals most likely are not. See photo two... It's a 'before' photo of what was working in my red Bird when I got it, so I could put it back together the same way.
I traced the wires back to the regulator to make sure, and it matches the online diagrams I found, like the one above.
(I wanted to triple/quadruple check because it's a '55 that was converted to 12v Neg ground)

The '56 and '57 Birds have wiring that is 99% the same.
> basic exceptions: 57's have a separate small voltage regulator just for the dashboard gauges and the main voltage regulator is mounted to the right inner fender but the '55 & '56 have it on the left inner fender.
The Armature, Field & Ground wire connections between the regulator and generator are the same in '56 & '57, just the placement of the parts is different.
Here's a link to a '57 T-Bird wiring diagram if it helps you...

http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/t...re5765-195.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55-57 electrical install manual c.jpg (42.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Generator wiring c.jpg (105.6 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-15-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
Old Redneck

I found the problem. The Parts store gave me 6 volts Votage Regulator 2 times. I had to research the VR to find it was 6 volts. They gave me back my money. Ed Generator is getting me a Votage Regulator and I should be ok.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
I found the problem. The Parts store gave me 6 volts Votage Regulator 2 times. I had to research the VR to find it was 6 volts. They gave me back my money. Ed Generator is getting me a Votage Regulator and I should be ok.
Not the first time we've heard that problem... someone somewhere entered the wrong info into a computerized parts database and now the ~ '56 Ford voltage regulator ~ comes up with a 6 volt part number.

'56 to the early/middle 60's (?) use the same 12v regulator. Until the current output was upgraded I'm guessing.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
Old Redneck

This sure has cause me a big problem. Ed generator is getting me the correct Votage Regulator. Thanks for your help. Ed said my Generator id putting out 40 amps. pretty strong I think.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:57 PM   #8
Old Redneck

If you go to a Parts store they will give you a 6 volt Votage Regulator because someone type in 6 volts instead 12 volts. I found this at Advance Auto Parts and NAPA stores. So be careful on this. There books are wrong. They will tell you your 56 Ford is 6 volts.
Old 05-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
rotorwrench

I usually look up the part number in the Echlin catalog first before going to NAPA. The Echlin stuff still seems to be OK after the merging with Standard Motor Parts but we'll see how long that lasts. The Echlin VR412 may be about the only decent regulator available if they are still making them worth a damn.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Old Redneck

I google the part number and its good. 28 bucks one-bay old stock.