Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Dan Baron

Default My Wifes Maiden Journey

Some of you may already know of the love my wife has for my Model A's. It may be my own doing, as in the beginning she was quite willing to hop into the old girl. A 29 Tudor. Her first drive with me was only to be about 10 miles or so. I remember getting it home letting my girls run through the car as they pleased. They had to run through it, It smelt so bad it there. Only later did I discover all the rat droppings and skeletal remains behind all the door panels and in the seat batting. After washing all of about 3 years of mud embedded everywhere, I got my wife convinced that she was all set and ready to go. Boy she sure looked purdy in my eyes. My car that is, not my wife. Although my wife was very purdy too. I could tell that my wife was a little apprehensive about this trip. I'm sure everyone buys a car like I did, sight unseen, from 6 states away, doesn't bother to check out any of the mechanicals, and wants to pack up the wife and kids and go for a picnic, right? Well that's just what happend. Looking back now, I can see why my wife doesn't really trust my judgment in my model A's. So off we went down the road into town to a local zoo type park area. As we descended down a slight hill with an intersection at the bottom I noticed that the light just turned red. Stepping as hard as I could and lifting as much as I could of the steering wheel we finally came to a halt directly under the light. A car coming only inches from my right, looked at me like what an idiot. Gee my wife gave me the same look. All I could do was offer my apologies and shrug my shoulders. We actually made it to the park. On the way home, I could tell my wife was not trusting this car or me for that matter, when all of a sudden we heard a loud whining sound coming from the dash area. and then a snap. My wife starts with saying OH GOD!!!, what's wrong? Hey, how am I supposed to know I'm new at this. It turned out only to be the speedometer cable. She had to say Oh God 40 more time before we made it home. She made it all the way home and we never got stranded but that was all it took for her to stay out of my Model A for quite sometime. She only acted up when my wife was in the car, I think she knew that my wife didn't like her.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: My Wifes Maiden Journey

Well Dan, you let the excitement of that purchase get to you, and (like many of us owners) couldn't wait to get her on the road (the car that is). Remember, this can happen at any age.

I was fortunate enough to "learn" that what you did was not the thing to do (I give thanks to my Dad). What you were suppose to do was ease the 'ol girl (the car) in to rider friendly condition before use eased the 'ol girl (the wife) into going for a ride. And then said ride had to be a short one, building into longer excursions until taking that first day tour. Then there is an appropiate waiting period before that multi-day tour. I am not an all wise sage, but learned from my Dad's mistakes (Thanks again, Dad.) LOL

Good luck with you future excursions.

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Dan Baron

I didn't have the luxury of having my dad around to learn me all those things. I was like the little boy in a toy store. I just had to play with her. (The car not the wife.) My wife's getting better with me and the A. "With age comes wisdom".
Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
Ron/IA

Dan - One thing I did learn (not from Dad, but on my own) was when the A stopped and you "expertly" did a road side repair; I found that really impresses the rider.

On a day tour about two weeks ago, my wife and I had a guest rider (a girl friend of the wife) when one of the other driver's car quit. Those if us that see this happen stopped and assisted him. Our rider asked if this would end the tour; my wife's reply was "There shouldn't be a problem continuing, they usually get them going."

Of course we did, and the rest of the day was great!

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
dr.j

From my Diary of day one to present "Our 1928 Tudor".

Pam watched and helped me for 3 years working in the garage nightly and most weekends. In the past 3 months we have run just under 3,000 miles together in the "A". Here is an entry of our first run without interior and floor boards.

Sept. 12th 2007 Did you know that this automobile is 6 volt and positive ground? Damn, I hope I did not harm anything trying to start it on 12 volts negative ground yesterday. Anyway, I now have a 6 volt battery and it is wired positive to ground, a little oil in the cylinders for lubrication, water in the radiator, oil level is good and it started. Rough to idle but it started; very impressive. Shove in the clutch, find first gear and slowly release, wow is the ole clutch plate grabbing hard. Probably just needs a little wear in prior to our planned madden trip around the block.

Sept. 19th 2007 What better time for a trip around the block. Never mind that the radiator is plugged and that steam vents from the cap as well as water runs from every corner of the rad shell. We re installed the front seats, poured some gas to the tank that seems to require a touch added on a regular basis. Wonder why I can detect gas odor in the garage every morning. Ah yes, leaky pet cock from the fuel tank. A minor problem that I am sure will correct itself in the near future once the seals expand. Away we go! And away we went!

The damn thing vibrated so bad at 8 miles for hour that I thought we were going to take the ditch. My partner tried in vain to abandon ship but without interior door handles, she could not open the door to bail. Down Taggart we snaked our way from side to side, both sides of the road; steam rising 12 inches toward the sky from the boiling radiator and all to end once we rounded the curve homeward bound. Then she quit! Pam quickly took the opportunity to get out especially after the carb backfired and blew a fire ball past her right foot. A blow of air from the lips into the gas line disturbed the rust from the tank filter and we were off again for the second lap. I figured speed had a direct bearing on the shimmy so a first gear run was completed. Arrived home safely and back into the garage she went.
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
George, Iowa

Great stories!
George, Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Dan Baron

Hey, Dr. J. What a great story. I love hearing stories like yours. Did your wife ever get back in? My wife would have walked home when she had the chance to escape. I have to admit, I've never been stranded to the point that I needed a tow truck. But my wife made me get AAA this year. I hope she's not jinxing me. Why is it that even if were only a mile away or so and anything happens she starts to freak out? We all have cell phones, and help is only a phone call away. All kidding aside, she is willing to ride in my A's now. Just not too far.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:26 AM   #8
Oldrod47

Been down this road more than once. First time was 30 some years ago. Returning from Tampa to Indy the 73 Olds jumped a timing chain on the Interstate, trashed the engine. Wife is 3 months post heart attack. Towed it home 1100 miles, replaced engine. She never "trusted" that car again. Made no difference that it was an entirely new engine.
Our '47 has stranded us several times in the last 8 years. Now have AAA Gold Card.

She still rides with her eyes closed and her hands clinched. But she still goes.
Glad to know I am not the only one.
Oldrod47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #9
dr.j

Dan, the car does not leave the laneway without her. I can not recall a run where Pam was not with me. We attend weekly car shows and use it daily for groceries or a quick run to the post office. What Pam enjoys the most is meeting the older people that approach us and have a tale of their Model A experience. We offer a seat in the car and a picture if they have a camera and I wish I had recorded the names, where they were from and a bit of the tale shared for my diary. So much fun
1928 Tudor
dr.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
Dan Baron

Brave woman you got there Dr. J. You'd better keep her... for now anyway.. I could never get rid of mine. Even if I wanted to. Thanks again for the great story.