Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #81
koates

Default Re: Do You Carry a Container of Gas in your Trunk?

I have for years carried a 5 litre plastic fuel container behind the back seat in my 1934 Ford 4 door sedan. The screw on lid and seal works perfectly so no smells and never a problem. Its tied down and cant move. Funny thing I have never needed it but have got a couple of other vintage Fords out of trouble who have run out of petrol. I have a larger fire extinguisher in all my vehicles. The 1934 Ford does not have a trunk or boot only a storage area behind the rear seat in sedans. Oh by the way I was a fireman for 34 years and do understand about fires and ignition. My hydrostatic fuel gauge is not all that accurate. All knockers are welcome to reply or not ride in my car. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #82
39portlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
OK, you all convinced me. Yes, I do remember the Pinto. Ford's first exploder.
NO GAS CAN IN TRUNK.

Thanks.
I learned how to drive in my uncles shit brown 77 Pinto, little did we know then might have opted for the country squire wagon instead, but that wasn't cool.

I will say we always made sure we had a spare can of gas in our outboard when going out fishing growing up
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #83
Mart

I suppose the important point is, having a car with a reliable fuel gauge. That's why I put one in my truck recently.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #84
19Fordy

koates: I notice that the expansion of the gas inside a plastic container causes the container to swell up. Does that present a danger?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #85
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
koates: I notice that the expansion of the gas inside a plastic container causes the container to swell up. Does that present a danger?

Hey Jim....For years now I've always kept several of these 5-gallon racing-type fuel jugs around the house as we have quite a bit of land to mow, and I always have about 50 gallons on hand for the generator if we have an imminent hurricane looming in the Gulf. We went through 45 gallons after Ike in 2008. As handy and rugged as they are for everyday use, I continue to replace one or two of them a year it seems. They start-out quite ruggedly-built with the plastic material as thick as 1/4" in places, with well-sealing caps. Outside in the heat (even in the shade), they DO swell-up unless I BARELY crack the cap to relieve pressure. But the worst part is the fact that the plastic will eventually crack or split, effectively rendering them worthless, as well as dangerous if they happen to have gasoline in them when the split occurs. I'm not sure I like the idea of a plastic tank, especially not knowing anything of the engineering or manufacturing details of most of these sorts of products. Your mileage may vary! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #86
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
But the worst part is the fact that the plastic will eventually crack or split, effectively rendering them worthless, as well as dangerous if they happen to have gasoline in them when the split occurs. I'm not sure I like the idea of a plastic tank, especially not knowing anything of the engineering or manufacturing details of most of these sorts of products. Your mileage may vary! DD
I think the weather and how you store them is a big factor in the lifespan of plastic fuel containers. I think my oldest is a 5 gallon red plastic container that I bought in 1974. I've broken a spout or two but the plastic tank itself remains secure. These plastic fuel containers are stored in sheds protected from the weather.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #87
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
I think the weather and how you store them is a big factor in the lifespan of plastic fuel containers. These plastic fuel containers are stored in sheds protected from the weather.

Mine are stored in a big shed also. That's where they crack. Gets kind'a warm in Houston Town. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #88
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

When I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall in the USAF back in the early 1960's I had a Morris Minor. The previous owner fitted a 5 US gal jerry can in the trunk/boot that was tied into the original gas tank with a valve to turn it off. We could fill up on the base for .25 cents an Imperial gal, about 2 shillings, and not on the open market. Seems like the open market was something like around $1.25 US. When you were making less than $100.00 a month that make a lot of difference so the spare gas tank. The jerry can was mounted in the back next to the deck lid.You had to remember to close the valve before filling up the jerry can or it would over flow the main tank. Don't ask me how I know.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #89
19Fordy

Gee, seems like plastic is not all that it's "cracked up" to be. Guess the old style Jerry cans were the best but oh, so heavy.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #90
Marvin/TN

yes you should always fill up gas tanks on the ground no matter plastic or metal. and always keep the nozzle in contact with the container. I wish I had a dollar for every gal of fuel I have put on an airplane, both Avaition Gas and Jet fuel. Have put 5000 gal of jet fuel
on one airplane., some were serviced over the wing and some with single point.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #91
Marvin/TN

Well I guess we could just drive our mower 5 miles tomthe nearest gas station and drive it back home, make one round the yard than go back to fil it up again...... NOT!!!
I do have a truck and I do secure my gas can when going to and from the station. But in times past I haven't always had a truck so no choice but put it in the trunk. I don't smoke and never have so that eliminates one danger factor.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #92
leon bee

I spilled about a gallon of diesel in the back of my little daily beater SUV. Soaked the carpet, man I hate that smell. I had a box of cedar sawdust, threw that in there-not much help. Than I scraped all that out and threw in half a bag of cat litter. That solved it.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #93
koates

Quote:
The plastic gas/petrol containers are specifically designed to do the job of containing fuel and are very strong and safe, even more so than a metal can with its seems which can split or leak. The plastic can has a lot of "give" to allow for any expansion, however I have not noticed any expansion in my container. Regards, Kevin.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:27 PM   #94
koates

As most of you fellas now know that nearly all new modern cars have plastic fuel tanks in the rear so I would recon that they have been engineered and tested to the max. So plastic fuel containers designed for gas/petrol are not an issue anymore. Regards, Kevin.
Old 12-08-2019, 07:45 PM   #95
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
As most of you fellas now know that nearly all new modern cars have plastic fuel tanks in the rear so I would recon that they have been engineered and tested to the max. So plastic fuel containers designed for gas/petrol are not an issue anymore. Regards, Kevin.

Kevin....I have to agree with you to a point, the point being that the BIG auto manufacturers do stringent testing and SHOULD know the proper, contemporary chemical compounds to use for long-lasting tanks, although don't forget that the BIG guys also designed the Pinto systems. As far as these low-volume-production aftermarket tanks go, we really don't have any idea how well or how safely they have been engineered, nor their chemical make-up, not to mention the quality control of production methods, or even the location of such manufacture. I'd also have to seriously wonder how old or how well-trained the actual factory workers might be. AND just FYI...my plastic containers for gas/petrol ARE still a serious issue when they continue to crack and leak...shouldn't be hard to understand. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #96
Tinker

A bummer but this is a link to a group of model T people on fb i follow. People were fine. No fires just a bit of metal to rebuild hopefully. Glad everyone was okay! be safe at all cost!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...02854526473290

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:15 AM   #97
Cecil/WV

I knew a man who had a '48 Crosley in the '50's with a bad gas tank and he ran a hose inside the car and ran it on 2, 1 gallon jugs. When the first jug ran out, he would reach around and pull the hose out of one and put it in the other. Ran it that way for months!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:19 AM   #98
tiger.1000

Back in the 60's my pal Syd was running a Ford Zodiac .On his meagre wages he could barely afford the petrol.....so....he spent quite a lot of time in the cinema car park.
He had a 12volt SU electric pump in the boot. He'd park up close to a suitable victim and insert his hose in to their tank; turn on a switch and bingo ! Cheapest to run Zodiac ever built !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #99
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger.1000 View Post
Back in the 60's my pal Syd was running a Ford Zodiac .On his meagre wages he could barely afford the petrol.....so....he spent quite a lot of time in the cinema car park.
He had a 12volt SU electric pump in the boot. He'd park up close to a suitable victim and insert his hose in to their tank; turn on a switch and bingo ! Cheapest to run Zodiac ever built !

Ugh that sucks, maybe that person couldn't afford it either. Guess it makes sense why I have a locking gas caps on all my vehicles, other then another asshat that will put something in the tank just because for no reason.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-10-2019 at 09:36 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #100
Brian

I agree; I rate people who steal other peoples gasoline to be amongst the lowest form of beings; total scum!
Is Syd still your 'pal'?